Advertising

Re: The stupidity of people relating to Brady's jersey

Postby calabcoug on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:32 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:did you see the story, it was a media guy from Mexico, and he had some other things as well, he was actually caught. I thought maybe it was just turned in anonymously

Oh, no I hadn't heard he was caught. I have been buried in taxes...

Postby D-Trains on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:33 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:did you see the story, it was a media guy from Mexico, and he had some other things as well, he was actually caught. I thought maybe it was just turned in anonymously

Trump was right about those Mexicans! lol

dt

Postby David Gee on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:10 pm

I guess that leads to another interesting question: how in the world does a piece of cloth that Tom Brady sweated into and stunk up end up being worth $ 500,000? It's such a funny concept. Some guy hacks a chunk of rock out of a mine, some other guy polishes it, calls it The Heart Of The Ocean and it's worth millions of dollars. Or to really go to the extreme, some Italian guy grabs a board, slaps some oils on it, calls it Mona Lisa and it's worth a billion dollars. Go figure.

Postby Don Gorgon on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:23 pm

yea, but then you have a function of beauty, the painting has to be considered beautiful on some level, its has value in itself in that respect, a jersey is just a jersey. Its the happenstance of it. Reflecting on sports memorabilia, I guess I kind of get a kick out of it, I like seeing stuff on the antiques roadshow. Signed baseballs, bats, but they seem to have a inherent beauty to them. I remember seeing some old jerseys that were very valuable, they were cool in a way because they were all patched and stuff. Not only were they game worn, but they were season worn, all these places where they had had to be repaired. It was like there as a story in them just looking over the damage done playing in them.

Postby D-Trains on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:11 pm

And then you have grown men at the M's workout fields asking 19 yo Hispanic low minor leaguers that they have never heard of for their autographs.

dt

Postby calabcoug on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:12 pm

I wasn't really referring to the value aspect from any perspective except that whomever swiped the jersey wouldn't be able to do anything with it. I mean the Super Bowl patch is a give away right? But he had the jersey Brady wore in the bowl when they beat our Hawks too and a helmet from Denver's Super Bowl win. So he had a system...but I can't figure out what the end game is...since memorabilia inherently needs the fans to generate the value and it is an admission of guilt to show it.

Postby calabcoug on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:24 pm

D-Trains wrote:And then you have grown men at the M's workout fields asking 19 yo Hispanic low minor leaguers that they have never heard of for their autographs.

dt

Off topic a bit, but kind of related. I was in Oakland Coliseum w/ my big bro watching batting practice...1970, late in the season. All the kids were crowded at the right side of the dugout, because Sal Bando and Campy Campineras were signing autographs. I saw a guy in uniform...who I didn't recognize, standing on the left side. He was opening up a bazooka bubble gum as I approached him. He smiled kind of sheepishly and said 'you want my autograph?". He signed my A's program and I went back to my seat. My bro came back and was surprised as I showed him my program..."who'd you get?" I looked it over and said... "I dunno, some new guy named Vida Blue". Just a few games later, the late season call up, Vida Blue, tossed a no hitter at the AL West (back then) leading Minnesota Twins.

The next season he owned the AL. Went 24-8 w/ a 1.82 ERA. My guess is that was perhaps the first autograph Vida signed as an Oakland A's player.

Previous

Return to Seahawks