Advertising

Re: ESPN Future power rankings has us second

Postby D-Trains on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:02 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:at this point Jimmy Garoppolo seems to be the replacement isn't he

For some reason I thought he got traded. How many more years to you guys think Brady plays. One or Two?

dt

Postby Don Gorgon on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:09 pm

well for it to work properly this would be Brady's last season, if Brady plays in 2018 then the Pats are looking at having to franchise Garoppolo to the tune of like $24 mil as a backup. They could do that and then sign him to start in 2019. At some point they are going to have to decide what to do with him, is he Brady's replacement or not

Postby D-Trains on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:17 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:well for it to work properly this would be Brady's last season, if Brady plays in 2018 then the Pats are looking at having to franchise Garoppolo to the tune of like $24 mil as a backup. They could do that and then sign him to start in 2019. At some point they are going to have to decide what to do with him, is he Brady's replacement or not

Interesting. Thanks.

dt

Postby rockycola on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Mike Reiss ESPN Staff Writer Jul 14, 2017

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots will hold their first public training camp practice on July 27.

New England Patsyrots

Roster locks: Brady, Garoppolo, Brissett

Three quarterbacks on roster with future in mind: Since 2009, this will mark just the third time the Patriots have kept three quarterbacks on their 53-man roster. The preference had been just two in order to open up a roster spot elsewhere. But with Brady approaching his 40th birthday on Aug. 3 and Garoppolo entering the final year of his contract, planning for the future means that 2016 third-round pick Brissett will be in the mix again. When Brady served a four-game suspension to start the 2016 season, Garoppolo started the Patriots' first two games before his injury thrust Brissett into that role. Keeping the second-year QB on the active roster is a hedge against a similar situation this season as well as preparation for Brissett to assume the No. 2 spot if Garoppolo leaves next offseason.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4804089/keeping-three-quarterbacks-on-roster-tied-to-patriots-future-planning

That should shed some light on the Pats QB situation.

Health report: Brady's wife, Gisele Bundchen, told “CBS This Morning” in May that Brady sustained a concussion in 2016, adding another layer to any analysis of Brady’s medical file. Brady’s agent said the quarterback was never diagnosed with a concussion, but it's possible Brady had a concussion that he didn't report and that wasn't diagnosed. ... Garoppolo missed some time at the end of spring practices with a calf/leg injury

Quote of note: "Really special player to coach. Tom works very hard. He is very smart, he's trained hard, he's worked hard on his throwing mechanics, he's worked hard on his mental understanding of the game and process. He's earned everything that he has achieved, but ... he's not a great natural athlete. He is a very smart, instinctive football player." -- Bill Belichick, in April, speaking about Brady to CNBC’s Suzy Welch

One may not be born with a great work ethic, some folks can't be taught it but some do go about it the right way, learn it and re-learn it and keep building upon it.

Postby Don Gorgon on Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:50 pm

there is also Jacoby Brissett

Cris Carter: Bill Parcells has a very high opinion of Jacoby Brissett
"I respect that, but this is the wild card I think that New England is dealing with. For the last couple years, there’s a guy who happens to be a friend of mine, his name is Bill Parcells. And he has mentored a guy by the name of Jacoby Brissett, who is the backup’s backup. He’s No. 3.

"He’s from the West Palm Beach area, they have a mutual friend. He went to Dwyer High School in West Palm Beach. Great basketball and football player. Went to Florida, was a five-star recruit. Had some complications in Florida, ended up transferring to N.C. State.

"Now Parcells believes this guy is a winner. He believes he is going to be a star in the NFL. And he’s been telling me this for a couple years.

"[Parcells] worked with him for the pre-draft camp, and if you hear some of the things he says, that he mentions… the people that he mentions him with. The type of player that he compares him to."

Postby Michael K 2 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:35 am

If Charlie Weiss is to be believed, "Tommy" will be playing for a lot longer. I heard him on ESPN radio a few weeks ago saying that about both Brady and Belichek.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Patriots/comme ... ndisputed/

Postby Don Gorgon on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:41 am

I would agree that the end "isn't in sight", but that doesn't mean it couldn't be soon, I don't see it where he would play for future seasons where he is slowly diminishing, I would bet its sudden.

Postby D-Trains on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:01 pm

Six or seven more years??? Screw it, might as well go all Ichy and play till he is 50, what is a few more years once you are are 47.

dt
Last edited by D-Trains on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby kc26 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:10 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:I would agree that the end "isn't in sight", but that doesn't mean it couldn't be soon, I don't see it where he would play for future seasons where he is slowly diminishing, I would bet its sudden.

I agree. I think it will be some type of an injury (maybe a concussion) and he will just suddenly decide "I'm done".

Postby HawkBowler on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:25 pm

Michael K 2 wrote:If Charlie Weiss is to be believed, "Tommy" will be playing for a lot longer. I heard him on ESPN radio a few weeks ago saying that about both Brady and Belichek.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Patriots/comme ... ndisputed/

The stability of their system allows Brady to keep playing. All it takes is one down season for a 40 year QB to start thinking about retiring.

What's interesting about the league is they were constantly after Peyton Manning and Brett Fauvre each year when it comes to retirement, and yet Brady never gets asked that question.

Age 40 is usually the limit for any QB, kind of like age 30 for an RB. I don't think Brady can play until he's 45. I think it's like Don is saying.... looks like he will play forever until he suddenly retires.

Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisburger and even Aaron Rodgers (13 years) are all on the verge of the retirement. We should see a lot of these older elite QBs hang it up over the next couple of years. Then it's Wilson, Luck, Newton, Carr and Ryan that will probably carry the torch.

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks