Advertising

Re: Michael Bennett letter

Postby calabcoug on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:06 pm

Sea Hawk aholic wrote:Its going to take a whole hell of a lot more than just sitting during the national anthem to help end injustices, police brutality and racial profiling.

I'm no politician but it's going to require a much better strategy. The number one problem in the African American community is black on black crime and dysfunctional single parent low income house holds where those who reside may have limited to no work place skills at all. Some even refuse work instead choosing a life of Illegal activity to earn a fast dollar.

That's whats really going down... Look at the statistics across this nation not just Chicago. You are being hoodwinked if you think that it's just because Of your color. Instead find the root causes and nip those in the bud.

Rise up and take look at your own community.

Just what I thought, more crickets as usual...


Hey look- the standard white guy response complete with silly soap box even a self satisfied pat on the back for his own feeling that he has posted a slam dunk. Crickets? Seriously? Thank goodness you are no politician because this unfounded blather is typical of the source of the problem...which is, people who ignore that there is a problem.

Blacks have a different view of police, because they are treated differently than whites. Pew did a thorough study and the %'s are clear.
http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2016/09/ ... rformance/



As to the burped up blather about 'not wanting to work or no skills at all', well thanks for the shining example boiler plate racial stereotyping. Wow, 'fix your own community before you complain about ours'--- oh the dripping irony. Their own community? THAT is the root cause of which you speak, right there. That is an inherent prejudice. What is 'their community' pray tell? Anywhere that you the white guy doesn't want to live? I guess you mean to "whitesplain" to folks in the hood how they need to live eh? That place to which they are relegated and from which they are challenged to overcome from birth due to skin color alone? Replete w/ inadequate schools, funding, neighborhood instability, a severe lack of employment opportunities...due to systemic racism and generated from the exact same tired stereo typing you just repeated.

Myriad studies have proven time and again that a white felon is just as likely as a non felon black to be hired for the same position w/ similar credentials. Statistics you say? Okay--- http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/20/news/ec ... index.html
 
Posts: 8777
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:58 am
Location: Calabasas, CA

Re: Michael Bennett letter

Postby kc26 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:29 pm

ThePro wrote:
D-Trains wrote:Yep two wrongs don't make a right. I feel the same about affirmative action. It just perpetuates racism as opposed to resolving or mitigating it.

dt


Why is affirmative action wrong?


You don't believe it is wrong? So you believe that special privileges should be given to people based on their race?
 
Posts: 11939
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:48 am
Location: bothell, WA

Re: Michael Bennett letter

Postby calabcoug on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:42 pm

kc26 wrote:
ThePro wrote:
D-Trains wrote:Yep two wrongs don't make a right. I feel the same about affirmative action. It just perpetuates racism as opposed to resolving or mitigating it.

dt


Why is affirmative action wrong?


You don't believe it is wrong? So you believe that special privileges should be given to people based on their race?


What? That isn't what Affirmative Action does...it combats the inherent and long standing discriminatory practices against minorities and women who have been historically underrepresented.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/02/us/affirm ... index.html
 
Posts: 8777
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:58 am
Location: Calabasas, CA

Re: Michael Bennett letter

Postby D-Trains on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:55 pm

I was told that I didn't get into the UW business school in the late 80s not because my GPA wasn't good enough but because they needed to have a more diverse class so they let in minorities with GPAs that were lower than mine.

Is that judging not by the color of ones skin, but by the content of their character?

Two wrongs don't make a right. It just perpetuates the insanity.

dt
 
Posts: 61045
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:31 am
Location: Kirkland, WA

Re: Michael Bennett letter

Postby kc26 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:13 pm

calabcoug wrote:

What? That isn't what Affirmative Action does...it combats the inherent and long standing discriminatory practices against minorities and women who have been historically underrepresented.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/02/us/affirm ... index.html


From the article you linked to ............

The constitution does permit colleges to use a holistic evaluation process for students that takes race into consideration as one factor. And schools can only implement that kind of policy once they've tried to increase diversity through "race-neutral" methods, like test score or GPA thresholds, Lieberwitz said.


Please tell me how that is not giving special privileges to people based on their race.
 
Posts: 11939
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:48 am
Location: bothell, WA

Re: Michael Bennett letter

Postby ThePro on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:16 pm

D-Trains wrote:I was told that I didn't get into the UW business school in the late 80s not because my GPA wasn't good enough but because they needed to have a more diverse class so they let in minorities with GPAs that were lower than mine.

Is that judging not by the color of ones skin, but by the content of their character?

Two wrongs don't make a right. It just perpetuates the insanity.

dt


That's not affirmative action. That is a preference of the University. Sorry that happened . That's a load of crap. It's illegal for a business to have quotas or hire minorities over someone white.

Affirmative action makes sure a business has to accept the application of all ethnic groups.
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:13 am

Re: Michael Bennett letter

Postby kc26 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:29 pm

IRS hiring policy from the mid 80's ...................

All applicants took a test. The "adjusted" test scores were used to determine applicants to be interviewed.

What were the adjustments?

Minority - add 5 points

Women - add 5 points

Veteran - add 5 points

Unbelievably, despite gaining 0 additional points, I was granted an interview. I respectfully declined although not because of the above discrimination. I declined because the recruiters major selling points were that you got a lot of vacation time and never had to work overtime. This was just as I was graduating college and for some reason I thought my career should be about a little more than vacation time and not having to work overtime.
 
Posts: 11939
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:48 am
Location: bothell, WA

Re: Michael Bennett letter

Postby ThePro on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:29 am

kc26 wrote:IRS hiring policy from the mid 80's ...................

All applicants took a test. The "adjusted" test scores were used to determine applicants to be interviewed.

What were the adjustments?

Minority - add 5 points

Women - add 5 points

Veteran - add 5 points

Unbelievably, despite gaining 0 additional points, I was granted an interview. I respectfully declined although not because of the above discrimination. I declined because the recruiters major selling points were that you got a lot of vacation time and never had to work overtime. This was just as I was graduating college and for some reason I thought my career should be about a little more than vacation time and not having to work overtime.


I don't recall being given points on any application and/or testing for jobs I did in the 80s, 90s or any decade for that matter. And I've had two government jobs. Have one now.
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:13 am

Re: Michael Bennett letter

Postby ThePro on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:45 am

https://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/qanda_race_color.html

Everyone is protected from race and color discrimination Whites, Blacks, Asians, Latinos, Arabs, American Indians, Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians, Pacific Islanders, persons of more than one race, and all other persons, whatever their race, color, or ethnicity.


What employment actions are prohibited by Title VII?
Title VII prohibits race and color discrimination in every aspect of employment, including recruitment, hiring, promotion, wages, benefits, work assignments, performance evaluations, training, transfer, leave, discipline, layoffs, discharge, and any other term, condition, or privilege of employment. Title VII prohibits not only intentional discrimination, but also practices that appear to be neutral, but that limit employment opportunities for some racial groups and are not based on business need.
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:13 am

Re: Michael Bennett letter

Postby hawkmagic on Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:03 am

In an Affirmative Action hire or appointment, the only affirmative action is to the person, who, among a hundred or even a thousand job applicants/candidates is selected for hire. Everyone else is left holding a bag of negative.

The convolution of the Michael Bennett letter thread continues...
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:21 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: calabcoug, D-Trains, HawkBowler, Michael K 2 and 2 guests

Advertising