Advertising

Re: It's not just the o' line

Postby Soggyblogger on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:09 pm

hsfootballfan wrote:On Thursday Night Football, Chris Collinsworth mentioned that teams spend a great deal of time in the week before a game scripting and practicing their first 15 offensive plays....given the lack of offensive success at the beginning of damn near every Hawk game this season, what is the problem? I have a hard time accepting that it is always due to bad execution by the players. You have to put at least some of that on Bevel/Cable.

I believe our success is due to Pete and John, but Pete might want to rethink Bevel and or Cable. Maybe it;s only one of them, but you make a valid point. If the scripted first series is any judge, Bevel/Cable have to take some of the blame for our slow starts.

Wilson basically owns the fourth quarter. The stats show him way out in front of EVERYONE ELSE. That is almost certainly true for the last few minutes of the first half as well. So Russell set free is NOT the problem. While I am in awe of Pete generally, I am mystified by his apparent slowness in realizing some of the obvious problems of the offense, and the answers to those problems staring him in the face.

Postby D-Trains on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:19 pm

I think it will take us not making the playoffs before there are changes and even then I would be surprised if any leaves before PC.

dt

Postby Don Gorgon on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:24 pm

and I guess that begs the question of if there needs to be changes made doesn't it? They do in fact have a pretty good record of making the playoffs in this city as opposed to another team I can think of. You guys and your annual drum beat that the Hawks need to fire guys and all they do is make the playoffs season after season, interesting

Postby Soggyblogger on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:29 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:and I guess that begs the question of if there needs to be changes made doesn't it? They do in fact have a pretty good record of making the playoffs in this city as opposed to another team I can think of. You guys and your annual drum beat that the Hawks need to fire guys and all they do is make the playoffs season after season, interesting

"Always Compete" applies to the coaches too. Maybe they just need some tweaking, but just getting to the playoffs isn't the end all be all for success. Pete and John have assembled an incredible cast of players. I'm impressed, but they have lacked something to get past some of their demons.

I'm of a mind to blame the coaches at this point for anything less than stellar performance. It's either the coaches or the players, and we can genuinely say they have a massive amount of talent on this team. But it is still a coaches game. Game plans, play design, preparation, play calling......oh, the play calling! No, it's the play design AND the play calling.

Everything else about this team screams: Elite. Play design is mediocre, and play calling is right around mediocre too. I'm just an uneducated fan, but ever hear of crowd wisdom? The wisdom of the crowd is that Bevel could be better. Always compete!

Postby Michael K 2 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:38 pm

If this was a young team than simply making the playoffs and losing on the road in the second round every year might be an option, but that isn't the case. This is a team that has for three straight years blundered away winnable games because the offense can't get out of it's own way early in games, and for two of those years it cost them dearly with playoff seeding. Let's hope that isn't the case, but something tells me that in December we are going to be looking back at the pathetic displays at Tennessee and at home against Washington and wondering what could have been.

Postby McFrisky on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:39 pm

My theory is very good teams lose their coaches to other teams. i think the pats have kept theirs?

My 'recent' memory tells me we lost Ken Norton , Dan Quunn , Gus Bradley and i don't know else.

Sorry didn't read the article.

And, don't the pats have a 'special assistant?'? He looks like a little worm. Some kind-od-a film guy or something...

Postby ddraig on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:50 pm

HawkBowler wrote:The Patriots also cheat.

Who, pray tell, are these "Patriots" you speak of? Ohhhhh. You mean the Cheetahs!

Postby ThePro on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:06 pm

Good article.. I was just about to post it.

Postby D-Trains on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:04 pm

Wow, I just read the article. WTF is Cable thinking.

dt

Postby trharder on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:10 pm

Michael K 2 wrote:If this was a young team than simply making the playoffs and losing on the road in the second round every year might be an option, but that isn't the case. This is a team that has for three straight years blundered away winnable games because the offense can't get out of it's own way early in games, and for two of those years it cost them dearly with playoff seeding. Let's hope that isn't the case, but something tells me that in December we are going to be looking back at the pathetic displays at Tennessee and at home against Washington and wondering what could have been.

I agree with the above. But if we are good enough to make a bonafide run at it again, it won't matter. We would win out with all the momentum and sweep to another SB. The year we did win the SB, there was a stretch where we were blowing out teams by putting up 50 burgers all over the place. It got tough in the playoffs, but NO and SF would have beat up Denver in the SB that year too. They were good. I just keep waiting for the Seahawks to turn that corner again. That's the main reason I get discouraged by all the accurate things that have been said in this thread. Not because I'm necessarily worried about seeding. I just don't see us as good enough at the moment.

Previous

Return to Seahawks