Advertising

Re: Condotta: Cable is gone. Now they have to draft better

Postby D-Trains on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:53 pm

Rooosevelt wrote:Unfortunately, I don't believe the Hawks have a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Hopefully, I'm mistaken.

You are correct. Lots of 7th round picks though. Right up our alley.

Seahawks 2018 draft picks
Round 1: Seattle
Round 2: None
Round 3: None
Round 4: Seattle
Round 5: Houston, Oakland, New England
Round 6: None
Round 7: Seattle, N.Y. Jets, Minnesota, Philadelphia

Postby ice99 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:53 pm

The top 10 prospects at each position, according to Kiper.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/mel-kipers ... d=52263598

Postby toomuchgarlicsalt on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:19 pm

HawkBowler wrote:
toomuchgarlicsalt wrote:https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/1/12/16881646/tom-cable-fired-seahawks-draft-philosophy-nfl-draft

Good article about what the team looks for in drafting Lineman, and how Cable being gone won't really change the philosophy they use.

But over the past seven years, it wasn’t Cable choosing to allocate funds elsewhere, instead targeting explosive athletes and projects. It wasn’t (all) Cable falling in love with a prospect’s testing numbers; John Schneider gushed over Roos’s bench press (41 reps!) following his signing as a rookie free agent and will continue to target impressive testers. The figurehead and coach of a largely terrible unit is out, one of the decade’s most dominant teams is in transition, but the acquisition of explosive athletes will continue as long as Pete Carroll and John Schneider are in place.

Interesting showing what Schneider and PC like to look for in drafts, targeting explosive players using their formula, even though it really hasn't worked out, theres nothing saying they plan to change the way they target players in the draft so it seems as of right now, things will be the same.

You had me right up until the end there. I think we will see the same only different. In other words, we're going to be balanced run pass 50 50 but we will be more efficient. That's the hope. It's not that Carroll's methods don't work, he's already proven it. A #1 run game + #1 defense wins a lot of games and turns fortunes in our odds. The Jags have it now... watch them go into Pittsburgh and break their hearts.

Pete's never going to be a 50 pass knock out team, where we start fast and pour on the points. I doubt that anyone on this board believes that. And even though Wilson has matured into MVP caliber, the overall team strategy is dependent on a strong run game. We gotta get that back.
Most of that are quotes from PC/Schneider's system of grading Offensive Linemen, so unless they ditch that, it will be close to the same. That is what the article is about which is why I am surprised that so many seem to ignore it while stating what they think is going to happen when the actual grading system is right there to see. It wasn't cable's grading system but the team's desire for trying to identify explosive players.

So unless they change the team system that they have been using, then things wont change much if any, which was what the article was trying to explain to people.

Postby ThePro on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:16 am

toomuchgarlicsalt wrote:
You had me right up until the end there. I think we will see the same only different. In other words, we're going to be balanced run pass 50 50 but we will be more efficient. That's the hope. It's not that Carroll's methods don't work, he's already proven it. A #1 run game + #1 defense wins a lot of games and turns fortunes in our odds. The Jags have it now... watch them go into Pittsburgh and break their hearts.

Pete's never going to be a 50 pass knock out team, where we start fast and pour on the points. I doubt that anyone on this board believes that. And even though Wilson has matured into MVP caliber, the overall team strategy is dependent on a strong run game. We gotta get that back.
Most of that are quotes from PC/Schneider's system of grading Offensive Linemen, so unless they ditch that, it will be close to the same. That is what the article is about which is why I am surprised that so many seem to ignore it while stating what they think is going to happen when the actual grading system is right there to see. It wasn't cable's grading system but the team's desire for trying to identify explosive players.

So unless they change the team system that they have been using, then things wont change much if any, which was what the article was trying to explain to people.[/quote]

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/job-one-for-the-seahawks-as-they-move-on-from-tom-cable-draft-better-on-the-offensive-line/

But while teams will rarely if ever draft a player a position coach doesn’t want, Cable was thought to have more sway than most position coaches in telling the team who he did want.

Cable, in fact, was the only position coach the team would make available for interviews during the draft, seemingly symbolic of his influence in the team’s offensive line picks.

Postby ThePro on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:23 am

D-Trains wrote:
ddraig wrote:According to USA Today, these are the top 8 RB's in the country. I doubt any of these would be a 1st round selection by the Hawks, but perhaps if one or two were available in the second or third round, maybe. I'd look at the big boy in the group from Penn State, Saquon Barkley. At 230, he's a load, as the UW found out. Chubb or Adams could be good alternatives. As you can see, I like BIG RB's.

• Bryce Love, Stanford. 5’10” 196 lbs
• Saquon Barkley, Penn State. 5’11” 230 lbs.
• Rashaad Penny, San Diego State. 5’ 11” 220 lbs.
• Myles Gaskin, Washington. 5’ 10” 192 lbs.
• Nick Chubb, Georgia. 5’ 10 225 lbs.
• Josh Adams, Notre Dame. 6’ 2” 225 lbs.
• Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin. 5’ 11” 214 lbs.
• Justin Crawford, West Virginia. 6’ 0” 200 lbs.

I didn't realize Love was so small. 34 lbs less than Barkley. No wonder he has been injured so often. We already have CJ for our glass figurine role.

dt

Scarborough isn't small... 6'2" 235

Postby D-Trains on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:43 am

ThePro wrote:
D-Trains wrote:
ddraig wrote:According to USA Today, these are the top 8 RB's in the country. I doubt any of these would be a 1st round selection by the Hawks, but perhaps if one or two were available in the second or third round, maybe. I'd look at the big boy in the group from Penn State, Saquon Barkley. At 230, he's a load, as the UW found out. Chubb or Adams could be good alternatives. As you can see, I like BIG RB's.

• Bryce Love, Stanford. 5’10” 196 lbs
• Saquon Barkley, Penn State. 5’11” 230 lbs.
• Rashaad Penny, San Diego State. 5’ 11” 220 lbs.
• Myles Gaskin, Washington. 5’ 10” 192 lbs.
• Nick Chubb, Georgia. 5’ 10 225 lbs.
• Josh Adams, Notre Dame. 6’ 2” 225 lbs.
• Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin. 5’ 11” 214 lbs.
• Justin Crawford, West Virginia. 6’ 0” 200 lbs.

I didn't realize Love was so small. 34 lbs less than Barkley. No wonder he has been injured so often. We already have CJ for our glass figurine role.

dt

Scarborough isn't small... 6'2" 235

I know. I am surprised he isn't on the list.

dt

Postby ThePro on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:10 pm

D-Trains wrote:

dt

Alvin Kamara or Kareem Hunt weren't on anyone's list last year. How did that turn out? That list doesn't mean s*** . What do your eyes tell you?

Postby D-Trains on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:22 pm

ThePro wrote:
D-Trains wrote:

dt

Alvin Kamara or Kareem Hunt weren't on anyone's list last year. How did that turn out? That list doesn't mean s*** . What do your eyes tell you?

I know. Not sure what the eyes of the guy that made the list is telling him.

dt

Postby ThePro on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:53 pm

D-Trains wrote:
ThePro wrote:
D-Trains wrote:

dt

I know. Not sure what the eyes of the guy that made the list is telling him.

dt

Scarborough is not high on anyone's list . He just never met expectations at Alabama. And I could care less. Cool he wants to be an FBI agent.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/Alabama-Crimson-Tide-Football-Bo-Scarbrough-declares-for-2018-NFL-Draft-despite-not-accomplishing-all-of-his-college-goals-113575342/Amp

Postby D-Trains on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:54 pm

This has him going in the 5th to 7th round. We should obviously take him if he is still around in those rounds.

Bo Scarbrough
Running Back
Height: 6-foot-1
Weight: 232 pounds
Current Projection: 5th-7th round

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/12/ ... scarbrough

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks