Advertising

Shaquim Griffin- Safety?

Postby openup58 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:49 am

I am tired of seeing stories on Brandon Browner and SPAM, so I thought I would start a discussion on Shaquim Griffin.

I know people have probably all see his college highlight videos and discussed Shaquim, but I thought I would throw this out for discussion.

We all know how incredible of an athlete he is, how fast he is and how hard he hits. What does everyone think about lobbying for him to take Kam's spot? I think he is too valuable to back up a LB and I think this could be a fantastic option staring us right in the face. He has played the position before and his speed and size would be perfect fit.

Watch his video and think what it would be like to have him and Earl manning our safety spots in 2018!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPu-se3xXok

Re: Shaquim Griffin- Safety?

Postby 57reasons on Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:27 pm

that was my first thought on draft day - that he was ultimately envisioned as Kam's successor as the in-box safety that is back in vogue now, particularly on early/running downs.

Postby Michael K 2 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:47 pm

I am simply guessing here, but why can't he play all over? It seems to me that he could really lend to some mismatches if he lines up at Safety, but we know he can play LB and rush the passer. Could create havoc, no?

Postby openup58 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:29 pm

I just think that we need to do everything to get him on the field as he is too valuable and the new Swiss Amry knife of the Seahawk's!
I like Bradly McDougald as a back up, but I do not think he is an every day/down player.
I think Shaquim, Rasheem Green, Tre Flowers, and Mingo all could be huge wild cards and impact players on defense this year. I can not stand the wait for Pre-Season to see these new guys and new coaches blend in

Postby HawkBowler on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:54 pm

I love his tape and athletic ability, but there's really only one position for the one handed man and that's LB. He needs to be able to catch interceptions at Safety and he can't play on the line because he's a liability in the three point stance.

I like feel good stories as much as the next guy, but the NFL is a harsh reality.

Postby openup58 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:37 pm

HawkBowler wrote:I love his tape and athletic ability, but there's really only one position for the one handed man and that's LB. He needs to be able to catch interceptions at Safety and he can't play on the line because he's a liability in the three point stance.

I like feel good stories as much as the next guy, but the NFL is a harsh reality.

He has made and can make interceptions. How many INT. opportunities do Strong Safeties get?
Interceptions for Kam by year
2010 - 0
2011 - 4
2012 - 0
2013 - 3
2014 - 1
2015 - 2
2016 - 2
2017 - 0
Shaquim Griffin at LB had 1 INT each year. In his SO year, he played Safety. Had 1 INT, 6 PD, 2 FF, 5 tackles
As a LB his stats jumped to 92 and 74 tackles, 11.5 and 7 sacks. but he was basically a rushing DE, but did defend 7 passes. he also won ACC Def. player of the year. having one had will not limit him from anything except maybe punter. With Wright, Wagner and Mingo at LB, we need to be looking at solidifying DB and safety so that is why this would a no brainer IMO moving him to Strong Safety.
Most likely the only reason he ws moved to LB was a team need and he had the most impact for UCF at that position.

Postby HawkBowler on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:54 pm

You could be right and I will be the first to say you were right if he works out at Safety.

It's more than just interceptions, though. Shaq is missing a hand and therefore six inches of coverage. Covering receivers going to his his left shouldn't be a problem, but the other way is a different story.

Playing Shaq in the Kam spot is not a problem since Kam was already playing like an LB in those situations. We don't know how he will do in a pure coverage situation.

amazon

Postby mani9492 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:38 pm

amazon

Postby mani9492 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:11 am

India’s Largest Online Software Store from amazon.in at Discounthttp://discountocean.com/offer/indias-largest-online-software-store-from-amazon-in-at-discount/

Next

Return to Seahawks