Advertising

Re: Did we draft Eddie Lacy 2.0

Postby Michael K 2 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:37 pm

HawkBowler wrote:Michael, do you have a clip for either of those plays? You could be right... from what I saw, though, Penny had nowhere to run on any of his carries.

No, I didn't record the game. I was actually watching on my iPad at work. BUT, if you read through the game thread you will see I was not alone in my assessment that he appeared to simply be spinning his wheels.

The screen pass was crazy. I would have expected the guy I had been reading was so fast could bust that wide open and it just didn't happen. The one he fell down on was equally as crazy. Just about every NFL team limited the snaps their studs played this pre-season. But Penny is suffering from rust because of a hand injury?

Add in the report that he is 16 lbs over the weight he was when drafted and I just don't see how this isn't a relevant concern.

Postby srgsx on Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Even my wife was swearing at the TV saying -" Omg this dude is as slow AF" She usually doesn't get to this level of negativity as that's my job usually- lol. But this guy was just staring into outer space while hoping hoping holes would appear for him to run thru.

Postby auroraave on Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:53 pm

I think Penny starting a bit slow is a good thing. let him learn the playbook, get his sea legs, while Carson does his thing. Having multiple backs is a blessing. I wouldn't read anything into it except it may take a few games, or an injury, or a sudden burst of competitive spirit to light his fire. The offense is not in mid season form - all of this takes time. If he put on 16 pounds of "i got drafted and I'm celebrating", that's one thing, but 16 pounds of muscle is different. One thing for sure - no one gets faster as they get heavier. It's one game - the Eddie Lacey comparison is not exactly fair. Lacey was always huge, Penny never was. It's funny, but not really accurate. Shoulda gone 'refrigerator perry' :P

Postby HawkBowler on Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:54 pm

Just about every NFL team limited the snaps their studs played this pre-season. But Penny is suffering from rust because of a hand injury?

Because he hasn't received the reps. Penny is a rookie who still needs to adjust to speed of the NFL. He played very little in the preseason and then went up against one of the toughest Ds in the league on the road. I know some people on the board want to completely discount the Bronco D, but they're really good. We saw it on Sunday. Compare the Raider D vs the Bronco D. There's no comparison for me after watching both games. The Broncos are clearly a better D, probably the best in the AFC. They were last season. Why not now.... because Talib went to the Rams?

The preseason game three at the Vikes was a key game for Penny to gear up for the regular season. That first half was against another good defense.

BTW... the Hawks have now played a game and a half against really good defenses and the offense performed well. We still see some three and out issues.... Wilson is doing a little too much of the voodoo chicken routine, but these guys will settle down. Wilson didn't play particularly well at Denver and yet his production was really good minus that last pick in garbage time. He's going to be putting up these numbers week in and week out and he's going to be an MVP candidate. The added run game will make all the difference.

Postby Michael K 2 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:22 pm

So, a guy drafted in the first round can't be expected to be even average against the Broncos? That doesn't say much for our defense when you look at the fact that an un-drafted rookie free agent tore us up!

I am not sure if the rookie excuse is a good one to use here, since as I said before, RB is universally accepted as the easiest position for a rookie to play.

I read a lot of comments in here after this kid was drafted, how he was the second best RB in the draft. I guess the gap between him and Barkley was WIDE!

Once again, I am not saying this kid is a bust. But he looks like **** right now.

Postby D-Trains on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:02 pm

auroraave wrote:I think Penny starting a bit slow is a good thing. let him learn the playbook, get his sea legs, while Carson does his thing. Having multiple backs is a blessing. I wouldn't read anything into it except it may take a few games, or an injury, or a sudden burst of competitive spirit to light his fire. The offense is not in mid season form - all of this takes time. If he put on 16 pounds of "i got drafted and I'm celebrating", that's one thing, but 16 pounds of muscle is different. One thing for sure - no one gets faster as they get heavier. It's one game - the Eddie Lacey comparison is not exactly fair. Lacey was always huge, Penny never was. It's funny, but not really accurate. Shoulda gone 'refrigerator perry' :P

Yeah don't worry guys, it is actually impossible that he isn't great. JS and PC have never botched a first round pick. :)

Postby D-Trains on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:05 pm

Michael K 2 wrote:So, a guy drafted in the first round can't be expected to be even average against the Broncos? That doesn't say much for our defense when you look at the fact that an un-drafted rookie free agent tore us up!

I am not sure if the rookie excuse is a good one to use here, since as I said before, RB is universally accepted as the easiest position for a rookie to play.

I read a lot of comments in here after this kid was drafted, how he was the second best RB in the draft. I guess the gap between him and Barkley was WIDE!

Once again, I am not saying this kid is a bust. But he looks like **** right now.

And our seventh rounder didn't look to bad in his first game last year. 6 for 39, 6.5 yard average.

dt

Postby Don Gorgon on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:47 pm

and Alex Collins looked like **** and where did that get us...

Postby Hindemith on Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:46 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:and Alex Collins looked like **** and where did that get us...

4 yards per carry on 31 attempts isn't that bad. Letting him go to make room for a bloated Lacy making a bloated salary has to be one of the dumbest moves this team has ever made.

Postby Don Gorgon on Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:57 pm

well the first half of his rookie season was not that great, i remember plenty here happy to see him go...btw he came in to camp the second season lighter. He came in this season in Baltimore heavier again I believe

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks