Advertising

Re: R. Penny your new 1st round KO returner

Postby Michael K 2 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:39 pm

HawkBowler wrote:Your argument doesn't work without hindsight. Again, we had Carson and Davis on the team last year and our run game was ranked #23. Do you mean to tell us that you knew that Carson and Davis would have us all the way up to #3 this season? Probably not, but you think Pete and John should have known and selected another position.

If we want to flounder around .500 with a few winning seasons sprinkled in than great. BUT, if we don't I would like to believe that the FO knows more than you do. So the fact that you, or I, or anyone else in this forum didn't know what Carson or Davis would be is irrelevant.

But, I keep forgetting in this place that unless you can do a better job than the player, coach or GM you are speaking of you can't speak.

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:47 pm

HawkBowler wrote:
Hindemith wrote:I believe you when you say he was in every top 10 list that you saw. I had to look pretty hard to find one that didn't just now, but I don't recall which sites I was looking at back before the draft and it is likely that the ones I remembered as not including Penny were probably top 5 lists. On the other hand, you are way off to say he was 2nd on most boards. From the first 15 or so lists I just perused he was ranked 2nd on only one (a ProFootballFocus article) and probably averaged around 6th. Here they are....

You're right, I was being lazy. However, I do remember diving into his tape and stats after he was selected and not being disappointed in the least. In fact, I don't remember any of the regular posters on this board saying, "Oh f^ck, we just drafted C Mike 2.0."

that is why they drafted him

But Penny offers what guys like Guice -- or Auburn's Kerryon Johnson, or Georgia's Nick Chubb, or USC's Ronald Jones, or Oregon's Royce Freeman -- don't in his ability to immediately have an impact on special teams as a returner. Plus, he's a threat in the passing game.

"Three-down back for us who can do everything," Seattle coach Pete Carroll said, describing a pick about whom Carroll was glowing with excitement. "He needs to work on his pass protection, but the ability to play him on all downs, that versatility is really big."

Carroll said Penny will compliment -- and compete with -- wide receiver Tyler Lockett in the return game. Lockett, entering the final year of his rookie deal, is currently Seattle's primary kickoff and punt returner.

Penny described himself as a patient, elusive runner. The numbers support that assessment.

Seattle general manager John Schneider said the team had advanced analytics that placed Penny at the top of his running back class. He averaged 3.32 yards per carry when contacted at or behind the line of scrimmage, according to Pro Football Focus -- the highest average of any player in this class.

Penny had the best elusive rating (123.3, according to PFF) in this draft class. His 80 missed tackles forced were the most among FBS running backs last season, perhaps the most critical stat for someone gearing to play behind a Seattle offensive that has had its share of recent run-blocking struggles.

"He'll help us in the run game, being able to run the ball inside and outside – he's been a downhill runner, but he's also been able to bounce the ball on the perimeter and take great advantage of that," Carroll said. "He's got a special way about him. He's got big-play ability. That just makes such a difference when you're defending us. We'll figure out how it compliments with the other fellas but he's gonna bring something really explosive."

Postby D-Trains on Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:18 pm

You know they went back to Lockett as a returner midway through the game on Sunday?

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:28 pm

yup, i posted why...they didn't like how Penny wasn't able to get to full speed running when he make the catch

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:34 pm

here...

“If you want to compare, look at the difference between he and Tyler (Lockett, Seattle’s primary kickoff returner last weekend) in the starts, start (of) the catch,” Carroll said of the kickoff returns against the Chargers. “(It’s) how you time up the catch and you’re running as far as you can. When the time you make the catch, as opposed to being stationary and being punched up and get going. It’s a big characteristic of good returners, that they hit the ball on the run so that they’re really flying.

“That’s something he (Penny) can improve at. And we’ve been talking to him about that quite a bit.”

goes on to say, his situation in general

On offense, it’s not just that Penny isn’t starting over Carson, the more proven and far more decisive NFL runner. Penny isn’t even above Davis for second string.

Carroll hinted on Wednesday that the issue is the same one that had Penny behind Carson on offense in the preseason: his performance and undeveloped skills in the passing game and as a pass blocker (doing that is how he broke his finger in training camp).

“Mike has been very versatile in the throwing game, (and with) all the styles of runs,” Carroll said. “He’s just been really good at it and very effective. So we’re just going with what looks right.

“It has nothing to do with where you got picked or where you came from. Just waiting for the opportunities to present itself so the guys can show what they can do. That’s not just the running back spot. That’s all our spots.”

Bell with a article pretty much laying the entire thing out
https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/n ... 35470.html

Postby D-Trains on Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:36 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:yup, i posted why...they didn't like how Penny wasn't able to get to full speed running when he make the catch

Yeah that's right, it was you. What the heck happened to him? Rhetorical question.

dt

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:39 pm

I don't think its what happened to him, but he has taken longer to get coached up as they would have liked. You pick him for his skills and hope he moves to the next level quickly, I think it has been slower than they would have liked. His problem with kickoffs is not athletic talent, thats coaching. I mean i would like to see it that way

Postby D-Trains on Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:02 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:I don't think its what happened to him, but he has taken longer to get coached up as they would have liked. You pick him for his skills and hope he moves to the next level quickly, I think it has been slower than they would have liked. His problem with kickoffs is not athletic talent, thats coaching. I mean i would like to see it that way

I know but he has been a great KO returner in college. It would be like having to tell Mallex Smith that he has to get a running start on Sac flies. Its like he was abducted by aliens that erased his memory.

dt

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:07 pm

NFL kick returning could be held to a higher standard, his natural talent masked poor fundamentals, he was able to break off great returns without having to catch the ball on the absolute fly, but now with Pete he needs to improve on them

Postby D-Trains on Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:17 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:NFL kick returning could be held to a higher standard, his natural talent masked poor fundamentals, he was able to break off great returns without having to catch the ball on the absolute fly, but now with Pete he needs to improve on them

Carson did come from a power 5 conference even though he didn't play a lot. Maybe that's part of it. Mike Davis did as well.

dt

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks