Advertising

Re: Here's your guy DT...

Postby D-Trains on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:46 am

Postby ThePro on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:01 am

He'll probably be gone before Hawks pick... or maybe not.

Postby HawkBowler on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:20 am

I like Hakeem Butler but don't we need like a Julian Edelman receiver? Bread and butter, move the sticks receiver.

Postby Michael K 2 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:07 pm

HawkBowler wrote:I like Hakeem Butler but don't we need like a Julian Edelman receiver? Bread and butter, move the sticks receiver.

You mean like Baldwin and Lockett? No thanks...PLEASE can we get a big guy to play outside.

Not a Jimmy Graham type that we try to turn into a hands in the dirt TE, but a physical freak outside that isn't at the end of his career (Mike Williams, Brandon Marshall) or a low round pick for a reason (David Moore, Chris Mathews).

Postby D-Trains on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:49 pm

Michael K 2 wrote:
HawkBowler wrote:I like Hakeem Butler but don't we need like a Julian Edelman receiver? Bread and butter, move the sticks receiver.

You mean like Baldwin and Lockett? No thanks...PLEASE can we get a big guy to play outside.

Not a Jimmy Graham type that we try to turn into a hands in the dirt TE, but a physical freak outside that isn't at the end of his career (Mike Williams, Brandon Marshall) or a low round pick for a reason (David Moore, Chris Mathews).

Chris Matthews has to have had one of the wierdest NFL careers ever. 20% of his career receptions in one SB. 4 of 20

dt

Postby HawkBowler on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:57 pm

Michael K 2 wrote:

Neither Baldwin nor Lockett is able to get open as quickly and consistently as Edelman. Did you watch the Super Bowl?

Postby Michael K 2 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:40 pm

Not for one minute do I think Julian Edelman would do in this offense what he does in that offense. If you think what this offense is lacking is a short possession WR then we simply aren't going to agree.

Postby HawkBowler on Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:40 pm

Michael K 2 wrote:Not for one minute do I think Julian Edelman would do in this offense what he does in that offense. If you think what this offense is lacking is a short possession WR then we simply aren't going to agree.

I think we agree that our deep passing game is already good. Wilson threw 35 TDs and was one of the best at passes of 20 yards or more. That was due to Lockett and Baldwin, who are not possession receivers. Our weakness continues to be third down conversions, short to intermediary passes. Now a big #1 receiver can do that, but a possession receiver, slot usually like Edelman... like Bobby Engram back in the day. This type of receiver moves the sticks and compliments a possession offensive team that likes to run first.

Nobody on the Rams could cover Edelman. It was eerily similar to our Super Bowl against the Patriots, when he tore us up as well. Now credit the Patriot system, credit Brady, but it's Edelman who's a one-on-one mismatch with almost everyone... and he's also a guy who knows right were to go against Zone defense. On a lot of those plays in the Super Bowl, it was Edelman not Brady deciding where the ball was going to be thrown. Brady waits on Edelman to make his break and then throws to where he is open. This is different from the usual where the QB times the throw based on knowing where the receiver is going to break.

Could Edelman line up in our offense and do the same routes? Can Wilson make those throws? Yes and Yes. Think of what Wess Welker brought to the Broncos and Peyton Manning. The size of the receiver doesn't matter if they have the skills that Welker first innovated in the league. Only a handful of guys can run these option routes. The Patriots had Gronk, and Josh Gordon and Cordell Patterson, all big receivers... and yet the ball kept going to little Edelman every time.

Postby ThePro on Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:31 pm

HawkBowler wrote:
Michael K 2 wrote:

Neither Baldwin nor Lockett is able to get open as quickly and consistently as Edelman. Did you watch the Super Bowl?

Baldwin does.. I think the Superbowl had more to do with the Rams sucking than the greatness of Edleman. A big WR would do more for the Hawks offense than another 5'9" posession receiver.

Remember they have Gronkowski too. That draws coverage away from Edelman

Next

Return to Seahawks