Advertising

Re: DJ Fluker signed..

Postby D-Trains on Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:18 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:
HawkBowler wrote:
Openup wrote:Players always go through patches of injuries, look at Earl or KJ. Nothing says berry will get hurt again and Ha-Ha is a huge upgrade IMO over any safety we have on the roster. I wouldn't bust the bank signing either, but we have to be looking to upgrade as Safety is on of our weaknesses along with another DE for the rotation

If we don't sign a vet safety it will mean that we're going safety with our top pick or two in the draft.

The Hawks have gone from impossible to predict on draft day to being fairly predictable.

how could they sit there and expect to draft a safety and assume he can step in and start out of the gate?

All first rounders are expected to start. That being said I doubt the take a safety with their first three picks.

dt

Postby ThePro on Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:36 pm

oregonhawk wrote:Just throwing it out there, but how about trying to convert Shaquem Griffin into a safety? He's got good speed, but is really a bit small for LB in the NFL.He'd make a good sized safety though. I watched his highlights from college and he had a few INTs, and when he hit receivers, they felt it.

He can't even play LB more or less Safety.

Postby 57reasons on Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:51 pm

oregonhawk wrote:Just throwing it out there, but how about trying to convert Shaquem Griffin into a safety? He's got good speed, but is really a bit small for LB in the NFL.He'd make a good sized safety though. I watched his highlights from college and he had a few INTs, and when he hit receivers, they felt it.

that proposal has been floated on these boards many times, and is what i conjectured on draft day. given the LB depth after today's signings, i think it perhaps a bit more likely now.

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:12 pm

wonder how often first rounders really do start the season, and its not like they have a 10 ten pick. But my point was, can you really imagine PCJC going, gee we need a safety, hey we will just draft one and have him start...that sounds like a shaky way to go about roster construction. You are going to pick up a vet safety aren't you just in case your draft pick isn't actually ready to start?

Postby ThePro on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:03 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:wonder how often first rounders really do start the season, and its not like they have a 10 ten pick. But my point was, can you really imagine PCJC going, gee we need a safety, hey we will just draft one and have him start...that sounds like a shaky way to go about roster construction. You are going to pick up a vet safety aren't you just in case your draft pick isn't actually ready to start?

Seahawks start rookies all the time. They started Shaquil Griffin as a rookie. They started Tre Flowers a converted Safety at corner.

Hawks aren't afraid of it.

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:18 pm

where did i say they didn't start a rookie?...I asked would they assume now they can draft a safety that will be able to start the beginning of his rookie season. That to me is a pretty optimistic assumption before you even hold the draft

Postby ThePro on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:30 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:where did i say they didn't start a rookie?...I asked would they assume now they can draft a safety that will be able to start the beginning of his rookie season. That to me is a pretty optimistic assumption before you even hold the draft

You implied it.. like it was blasphemous.

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:25 pm

huh...I am aware they have started rookies...I am asking how much can they risk thinking they can find a rookie to start at safety in the draft before its held, maybe they are fairly confident, I don't know...and the comment I thought was they would use their first round pick on him in order to find that guy, the immediate starter.

from an article from last season predicting which first round picks should make an immediate impact,

In a perfect world, every NFL first-round pick would come into the league and make an immediate impact. Yet each year, only a handful of them end up making a difference for their new teams right away.

There are a number of reasons why sometimes even the top draft picks don’t make a splash in their first season. There’s a steep learning curve for rookies, and the transition from college to the NFL is a tough one. They’re fitting into new systems, and they’re consistently facing much tougher talent than they did in college. Sometimes, injury derails their season.

It’s not always easy to predict which rookies will break out, but let’s try anyway. These are the five first-rounders we think will make their presence felt as soon as they hit the turf this September.

but the JSPC are going to assume they can find a safety in the draft that will make an intimidate impact

Postby D-Trains on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:46 pm

They are happy with their safeties. Why would they draft one expecting him to start. They won't be taking safeties until the later rounds if at all as per usual.

dt

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:54 pm

sure...the comment i responded to as I remember was along the lines of, if they don't bring in a safety, that is a FA, that indicates they plan to pick one in the first round. Maybe i am misinterpreting it, but in that sense i don't see that sort of direct relationship. We are going to need someone to start at safety, ok we will draft one

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks