Advertising

Re: D-Day!

Postby D-Trains on Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:53 am

BroadcastingHusky wrote:
Michael K 2 wrote:I am not hearing anything stating that the amount of the salary is the issue, it is Russ and his stupid ass baseball agent gumming it up by wanting guarantees and future raises based in increases to profit, revenue and salary caps.

If it was just about making Russ the highest paid QB in football based on the average salary per year I feel this deal would be done. It makes sense, especially since he wants it early. His contract would look like a steal in a year and a half or so. That is the hang up. Russ wants to change the game. And his agent somehow believes that he can make this like baseball, even thought the NFLPA already agreed to this and there is no way in Hell the NFL Owners are going to put themselves in the position of paying guys like Cano and Chris Davis.

I hear ya... and maybe this is the liberal in me... again, seems like a system totally set up to only benefit these overly-rich owners. Jerry Jones is out there buying $290 million yachts while football players need to get their heads bashed in for a few seasons and stay injury free long enough to make a few million.

Vilifying Russ and other players who want their money seems like a great distraction from the hundreds of millions these owners make without much repercussion.

Just like the minimum wage, the salary cap is in conflict with free market economics and thus is against conservative thinking. So I agree.

If RW doesn't have the salary cap escalators he will be underpaid in a few years like he his now. I won't cry if he is gone but I can see where he is coming so don't blame him for how he is handling it, though the Eddie Haskel persona is annoying. I see the point about taking less to improve the chances at another title but there are no guarantees to another SB win. There are 32 teams so even on a good team you are probably improving your chances from maybe 10% to 20%. Would anyone give up $5-10 million a year for that given you already have one and are pretty much a lock for the HOF already?

Postby Michael K 2 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:09 pm

He isn't taking less. Not one time has any of these rumors said that Russ is mad because he isn't going to be the highest paid QB. The problem is he and his baseball agent want to change the game. He is either going to get one of the most ridiculous football contracts ever, or he is going to play somewhere else. It might be next year, it might be after he plays another three seasons here.

I am not an advocate for being the first to do something. At some point in time the salary cap is going to increase, but if every time it does you have to pay the QB you made the highest paid ever even more, you lose that flexibility. So, at some point in time in the next three off seasons we have to find his replacement and we need to let him go. It would be best if it is soon so we actually have some leverage and might be able to trade him, but either way I don't see in any way shape or form how Russ has leverage here. That is why his camp is leaking information...they are trying to create leverage were there is non.

Whether the Owners make billions and billions or not doesn't change anything. The Salary cap isn't going away. I am a Seahawk fan, and signing a cap crippling salary to a QB that doesn't want to be here and seems to be the center of locker room issues every year, whether created by him or not seems short sighted. Damn I wish we had made that Mahomes deal that was rumored a few drafts ago. Wouldn't that make all of this interesting!?

Postby BaseHitDerby on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:15 pm

It appears he wants the biggest NFL contract ever that would handcuff the team the next 5 years. Or, get traded to NY where his wife wants in which they would make even more money. The Hawks would be wise to trade him right now where his value is at its peaks. Seems like Sherman and Bennett were right about RW.

Postby HawkBowler on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:32 pm

King wrote:“Here’s what I think everybody needs to know: If Russell Wilson basically plays out this last year of his contract at $17 million and then is franchised over the next two years, he basically makes over a three-year period about $83 million,” King said. “For a guy who has started all 125 games since the Seahawks drafted him, regular season and postseason, and has won 83 games, which is more than any quarterback in NFL history has won in his first seven years as a quarterback, I’m just saying that that is not a prohibitive sum.”

King doubts a deal not getting done by Tuesday would truly signal the end of Wilson’s time in Seattle.

“I just don’t think this should be Armageddon day for people who love the Seahawks. I don’t know what (general manager) John Schneider and (head coach) Pete Carroll are going to do … but I would be very surprised if they didn’t stick with Russell Wilson as their starting quarterback,” he said.

“A lot can happen in three years.”
http://sports.mynorthwest.com/632157/ru ... -seahawks/?

It doesn't make sense for Wilson or his agent to issue an ultimatum because Wilson doesn't have a choice. He could hold out I guess... ala L Bell with the Steelers, but that never works. Wilson will sign a historic contract at some point.... one thing for certain is that the Hawks will not trade him.

Postby ThePro on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:34 pm

Michael K 2 wrote:
The deal has to be right, but it is possible...especially based on the three things you mention. I don't think the Hawks are surprised. Remember how we all scoffed about them being interested in Mahomes? Man, I don't know what they would have had to give up to get him, but wouldn't that have made this interesting?

If we had a backup plan in place I really think a trade to the Giants would have been a no brainer right now, especially if my dream scenario of throwing in Penny and making them give us Barkley. But, because there isn't a backup plan, and because I doubt a 70 year old coach is ready to throw away a chance at the playoffs next year just because his QB's wife and agent are idiots, I don't think he gets traded this year. I do believe they start much more seriously start looking for his replacement, and the possibility of a Tag and Trade is very high each of the next two off seasons.

Mahomes? Schneider went to Darnold's and Allen's pro day himself. They have interviewed and had private workouts with players that won't be available at 21 this year. That's how long Schneider has been preparing for this s*** show. Hawks will be fine.

Best option is still to sign him long term. But if he doesn't want to be here it's a moot point. 2020 is a strong QB draft. No team is going to give the Hawks multiple picks next year with so many younger and cheaper options. Wilson's trade value will go down and if they wait two years? No team is going to give you anything for a player they can sign outright and retain all their draft picks. Now or never for the trade scenario unless Hawks are comfortable letting him walk without compensation. Maybe they are.

Postby BroadcastingHusky on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:35 pm

Michael K 2 wrote:He isn't taking less. Not one time has any of these rumors said that Russ is mad because he isn't going to be the highest paid QB. The problem is he and his baseball agent want to change the game. He is either going to get one of the most ridiculous football contracts ever, or he is going to play somewhere else. It might be next year, it might be after he plays another three seasons here.

I am not an advocate for being the first to do something. At some point in time the salary cap is going to increase, but if every time it does you have to pay the QB you made the highest paid ever even more, you lose that flexibility. So, at some point in time in the next three off seasons we have to find his replacement and we need to let him go. It would be best if it is soon so we actually have some leverage and might be able to trade him, but either way I don't see in any way shape or form how Russ has leverage here. That is why his camp is leaking information...they are trying to create leverage were there is non.

Whether the Owners make billions and billions or not doesn't change anything. The Salary cap isn't going away. I am a Seahawk fan, and signing a cap crippling salary to a QB that doesn't want to be here and seems to be the center of locker room issues every year, whether created by him or not seems short sighted. Damn I wish we had made that Mahomes deal that was rumored a few drafts ago. Wouldn't that make all of this interesting!?

Eh I mean... we can question the system that raises these problems in the first place. The NFL salary cap is relative trash in my opinion compared to the rising % of revenue the league pulls in ever year. The salary cap should keep up with the rising values of players... why should a team suffer when the value of a particular position sky rockets? It should keep up. The NFL made $14.2 billion last year... Goodell thinks that'll be $23 billion in a few years time... they can keep up, they're choosing not to.

Should Russ be making more than Kirk Cousins, Alex Smith and Jimmy Goshitalo? I think that's a resounding yes and it shouldn't hurt the Seahawks product on the field to do so... yet the owners keep it that way cause they're cheap. They only care about the product they're putting out there so long as it keeps their pocket books fat and the fans aren't too up in arms over how shitty it is.

@D-Trains I would be in agreement with you about eliminating the minimum wage if the uber rich and powerful didn't completely screw the less advantaged under a "free" marketplace. A libertarian utopia is of course ideal... but unfortunately not realistic as history proves time and time again that the rich and powerful seem to always choose poor working conditions and terrible wages for their workers when unchecked. It's why we have the minimum wage and work-place regulations now... because you give the rich some slack and they **** everyone else.

If there were a way to implement a free market where the government didn't have step in and the rich promised to never **** those who are less advantaged, I'd be all for it.
Last edited by BroadcastingHusky on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby ThePro on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:37 pm

HawkBowler wrote:
It doesn't make sense for Wilson or his agent to issue an ultimatum because Wilson doesn't have a choice. He could hold out I guess... ala L Bell with the Steelers, but that never works. Wilson will sign a historic contract at some point.... one thing for certain is that the Hawks will not trade him.

What do you mean he doesn't have a choice? Who says he has to sign that franchise tag?

Postby D-Trains on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:41 pm

Sure, I can see that. Believe me I don't have some hatred for the minimum wage and my objection is more ideological than pragmatic. Also, many studies have shown that companies just reduce hours and make the workers impacted work harder while working for no net gain in pay.

dt

Postby Michael K 2 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:51 pm

ThePro wrote:
Michael K 2 wrote:
The deal has to be right, but it is possible...especially based on the three things you mention. I don't think the Hawks are surprised. Remember how we all scoffed about them being interested in Mahomes? Man, I don't know what they would have had to give up to get him, but wouldn't that have made this interesting?

If we had a backup plan in place I really think a trade to the Giants would have been a no brainer right now, especially if my dream scenario of throwing in Penny and making them give us Barkley. But, because there isn't a backup plan, and because I doubt a 70 year old coach is ready to throw away a chance at the playoffs next year just because his QB's wife and agent are idiots, I don't think he gets traded this year. I do believe they start much more seriously start looking for his replacement, and the possibility of a Tag and Trade is very high each of the next two off seasons.

Mahomes? Schneider went to Darnold's and Allen's pro day himself. They have interviewed and had private workouts with players that won't be available at 21 this year. That's how long Schneider has been preparing for this s*** show. Hawks will be fine.

Best option is still to sign him long term. But if he doesn't want to be here it's a moot point. 2020 is a strong QB draft. No team is going to give the Hawks multiple picks next year with so many younger and cheaper options. Wilson's trade value will go down and if they wait two years? No team is going to give you anything for a player they can sign outright and retain all their draft picks. Now or never for the trade scenario unless Hawks are comfortable letting him walk without compensation. Maybe they are.

I don't remember who wrote about it, but I have read a couple of times that they were looking at trading up to have a shot at him. Who knows how serious the efforts were, but I wish they had.

Postby Michael K 2 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:53 pm

BaseHitDerby wrote:It appears he wants the biggest NFL contract ever that would handcuff the team the next 5 years. Or, get traded to NY where his wife wants in which they would make even more money. The Hawks would be wise to trade him right now where his value is at its peaks. Seems like Sherman and Bennett were right about RW.

The size of the contract, from what I am hearing, is not the problem. It is the guarantees and the built in raises that his baseball agent is asking for that is the hold up. I say let someone else be the first to make that stupid move. We let him play next year at what is effectively a discount, then we worry about the potential of tagging him once or twice....even three times if we choose! Once again Ciarra, I mean Russ, has no leverage!

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks