Advertising

Re: D-Day!

Postby 57reasons on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:36 pm

ThePro wrote:
Michael K 2 wrote:
The deal has to be right, but it is possible...especially based on the three things you mention. I don't think the Hawks are surprised. Remember how we all scoffed about them being interested in Mahomes? Man, I don't know what they would have had to give up to get him, but wouldn't that have made this interesting?

If we had a backup plan in place I really think a trade to the Giants would have been a no brainer right now, especially if my dream scenario of throwing in Penny and making them give us Barkley. But, because there isn't a backup plan, and because I doubt a 70 year old coach is ready to throw away a chance at the playoffs next year just because his QB's wife and agent are idiots, I don't think he gets traded this year. I do believe they start much more seriously start looking for his replacement, and the possibility of a Tag and Trade is very high each of the next two off seasons.

Mahomes? Schneider went to Darnold's and Allen's pro day himself. They have interviewed and had private workouts with players that won't be available at 21 this year. That's how long Schneider has been preparing for this s*** show. Hawks will be fine.

Best option is still to sign him long term. But if he doesn't want to be here it's a moot point. 2020 is a strong QB draft. No team is going to give the Hawks multiple picks next year with so many younger and cheaper options. Wilson's trade value will go down and if they wait two years? No team is going to give you anything for a player they can sign outright and retain all their draft picks. Now or never for the trade scenario unless Hawks are comfortable letting him walk without compensation. Maybe they are.

You all (or most here ) are 100% buying Peter King's report of RW's demands. For all we know that could just be agent-leaked BS in attempt at gaining leverage, which still resides decidedly on the side of the franchise, as Jake Heaps maintained that he believes still this morning after King's report over the weekend. I'll reserve judgment on the hype till i see more evidence, but even if true, that's not a mandate for immediate trade. First off, the max trade return value calculation - when considering now vs. next year, or vs. the 3rd year, you have to consider the value of having Russell in that equation, regardless of the fact that he will eventually be gone. Sure you might get slightly more draft capital by selling now vs. a year from now, but you have to subtract from that difference the value of a year of elite QB play vs. whatever mediocre find at the position they could come up with this year. Not highly probably, but possible that could be worth another SB ring. Imho, that rules out trading now, even if you believe the worst. Now this time next year, if not signed (which is another reason to wait - even buying he's sincere about the "deadline", he could always have a change of heart), then with a higher franchise tag number, the trade scenario looks much more appealing.

Postby HawkBowler on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:41 pm

57reasons wrote:First off, the max trade return value calculation - when considering now vs. next year, or vs. the 3rd year, you have to consider the value of having Russell in that equation, regardless of the fact that he will eventually be gone. Sure you might get slightly more draft capital by selling now vs. a year from now, but you have to subtract from that difference the value of a year of elite QB play vs. whatever mediocre find at the position they could come up with this year. Not highly probably, but possible that could be worth another SB ring. Imho, that rules out trading now, even if you believe the worst.

I agree... well said

Postby D-Trains on Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:46 pm

Postby Livesmatterinthiscountry on Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:31 pm

Bye bye Wilson. Thanks for holding the team hostage. We don't need your trouble and long list of demands. It's time to move on. Wilson has clearly become more of a celebrity these days then a football player with a mind set of moving on from the hawks.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/4/14/18 ... e-april-15
Last edited by Livesmatterinthiscountry on Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby auroraave on Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:34 pm

Just reading these posts, people are taking everything that is out in the ether so literally. Have we not learned anything from the politics of this country that most of what you read is total slant, spin and general BS? If an agent is making huge demands, true or not, does anyone ever consider that is the starting point in negotiations? Am I the only one on here that has been through hundreds, if not thousands, of contract negotiations? Has anyone else on here legitimately been involved in talent and or player contract negotiations? If you have, then you understand how each side positions itself, and you don't start out with what you expect to get. You start way above the acceptable target range, than make the other side bring you down within it. It's not where you start.

If he is out of his mind as to what his worth is - and he's handcuffing the team - doesn't that make him the locker room cancer that needs to go? He is not more important than the future of the team - reading most posts on here, very few think he is THAT important - so it's good to see cooler heads recognizing the risk/reward here. Which brings up injury - he's been a workhorse - but that can't ;last forever. Can't have $40 million sitting on the sidelines if he gets injured - which is a plausable scenario.

Postby Livesmatterinthiscountry on Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:48 pm

Wilson is not and never will be a hall of fame QB. We can win in Seattle without him. Time to try to get two or three first round picks for him if possible and get a qb with some height / mobility in draft. It's obvious he doesn't want to be here in Seattle either with his list of unreasonable demands , some of which have never been heard of before in the history of NFL negotiations from what field gulls is reporting.

Postby ThePro on Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:51 pm

auroraave wrote:Just reading these posts, people are taking everything that is out in the ether so literally. Have we not learned anything from the politics of this country that most of what you read is total slant, spin and general BS? If an agent is making huge demands, true or not, does anyone ever consider that is the starting point in negotiations? Am I the only one on here that has been through hundreds, if not thousands, of contract negotiations? Has anyone else on here legitimately been involved in talent and or player contract negotiations? If you have, then you understand how each side positions itself, and you don't start out with what you expect to get. You start way above the acceptable target range, than make the other side bring you down within it. It's not where you start.

If he is out of his mind as to what his worth is - and he's handcuffing the team - doesn't that make him the locker room cancer that needs to go? He is not more important than the future of the team - reading most posts on here, very few think he is THAT important - so it's good to see cooler heads recognizing the risk/reward here. Which brings up injury - he's been a workhorse - but that can't ;last forever. Can't have $40 million sitting on the sidelines if he gets injured - which is a plausable scenario.

Why wouldn't we take it literally? Your scenario of the agent putting false info out theft sounds dumb as all s*** . You have an example of anything like that happening?

Postby D-Trains on Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:29 pm

Peter King on with Softy right now. Sounds like the cap could go up significantly due to the influx of revenues from gambling. RW wants a piece a dat action.

dt

Postby HawkBowler on Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:43 pm

D-Trains wrote:This is interesting.

https://twitter.com/mrtommygman/status/ ... 1380646918

What I don't understand... from all the guys thinking Wilson will put the Hawks in the poor house and we'll never win again... is what percentage of the cap is too much? It's okay, for example, to pay Wilson 12% of the cap like Eli Manning and Brady before, and if it goes above 15% of the cap... because we wont be able to afford that backup DL guy... is that too much?

Postby Livesmatterinthiscountry on Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:50 pm

HawkBowler wrote:
D-Trains wrote:This is interesting.

https://twitter.com/mrtommygman/status/ ... 1380646918

What I don't understand... from all the guys thinking Wilson will put the Hawks in the poor house and we'll never win again... is what percentage of the cap is too much? It's okay, for example, to pay Wilson 12% of the cap like Eli Manning and Brady before, and if it goes above 15% of the cap... because we wont be able to afford that backup DL guy... is that too much?

I don't think it's even about that. It's the way he is coming across with demand and after demand, the way he wants his contract written with one clause after another etc. He just seems like a guy who is trying to do everything in his power to force the hawks to get tried of him and trade him most likely to NY or another big market where he can benefit from it. RW had us really believing it was about the winning / team but in reality it was all about RW. He played us well.

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks