Advertising

Postmortem: Wilson v Mahomes

Postby auroraave on Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:04 am

Wilson 1, Mahomes 0.

It was built up to be a heavyweight match up between the darlings of the AFC and the surging and scary upstarts in the NFC, and it delivered like spam on the Seattle Times Forums.

One story line not discussed anywhere was the Wilson v Mahomes motivation factor. Sure, the usual suspects talked about stats and wins and the usual generic blatherings of the shortsighted media ilk - but no one considered just how much Wilson may have wanted this win over The Kid (who has earned every single bit of praise heaped on him this season, BTW). And that leads us to auroraave's very first Balls of Steel Award...

...The Balls of Steel Award goes to Russell Wilson. Late in the game after KC scored and Seattle needed first downs to burn clock - he goes and drops a 45 yard surface to surface bomb to Lockette that would make Dick Cheney smile. That took Balls of Steel. The mini bomb to Baldwin - and he now has Two Balls of Steel (awards). That was just ridiculous. SO, yeah, Mahomes, you're having a career year, but Wilson is having a career - recognize that sh*t.

The two swapping jerseys at the end warmed the usually-icy cockles of my heart.

So, about that Doug Baldwin. Damn, dude - you came to PLAY. ADB was possessed! His only drop that I saw was on a fantastic defensive play. RW to ADG is still a lethal connection. That TD - epic.

Oline - you kids get the cleats of steel award - Pocic moving around during the game almost offsets your shit-for-brains penaltypalooza last week. Almost. Fluker rallied, and just how gutsy is Fant? That oline is the new dline. Pass-pro was reasonable, run blocking was good, but the real story is the shuffling around of players, not just during the week, but during the game. No unit needs continuity more than an oline - and their's was disrupted and they fought through it. Gutsy effort. Tom Cable, take note. :P

Coaching gets some stroking - good game plan early - keep everything in front of the defense - let them move the ball and earn it slowly - and it worked. KC moved the ball because, after all, you cannot stop KC, you can only hope to contain them. Limiting them to ten first half points - huge credit to the defensive game plan, but also to the offense for sustaining drives and rarely going three and out - which is my biggest f'n pet peeve. The offense helped out the defense in this game by staying on the field. Excellent coaching and game planning. KC moved the ball, but they were forced to earn it - and while they had moments - it also resulted in two crucial turnovers. The bend-but-don't-break philosophy worked because of those turnovers.

The defense - played surprisingly well vs that passing attack. That secondary really rose to the occasion and made KC earn it every step of the way - and that offense is LOADED. If not for shit-for-legs Janikowski and his girly legs unable to kick the ball into the end zone like every other kicker and f'n girl scout out there, that huge return to set up KC's score doesn't happen, and perhaps that last TD doesn't either. Coulda been 41- 24.

Dear Santa/Craigslist/Tinder - NFL team needs a kicker for Christmas. Hurry, please!

Wagner continues to dominate. Chris Carson continues to dominate - but we need to get other RB's involved to distribute the punishment around. Bradley McDougal - the dude who was questionable to play - only had seven tackles - five solo. Damn! Not sure how impactful KJ is - only two tackles - which may just be him acclimating after so much time off - the upside being he could be finding his groove going into the playoffs.

Anyone reminded of 2012 yet? The beginning of the run...

Heading into the playoffs, this may be the scariest team to face - especially if you are a division winner with all the pressure on you. Seattle has no pressure, an insanely balances offense, a vet QB with much playoff experience in a conference where Brees is the only other QB with real playoff experience, and a bunch of dudes having a blast.

That recipe makes these upcoming playoff matchups very interesting.

Huge win for confidence, experience and optics. The young'uns are getting all learned on the job and responding, and the vets are playing like vets. A win vs Arizona to keep up momentum, rest for the injured, confidence four the kids, and the bench getting some game-time experience going into the playoffs, could make Seattle a very scary opponent and a difficult out in the playoffs. Would like to see Carson rest for the AZ game.

They are grooving at the right time (take note Lambs).

BTW, I posted this earlier...

auroraave on Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:11 am

this is a great thread title.

I really liked Seattle's chances in this game - until I saw the injury report. I don't see the young front seven being able to apply enough pressure to help the completely depleted secondary - and who is going to match up on Kelce? Can't just stick Wags on him all day. Kelce will kill them underneath and they'll have no problem going over the top of this weakened secondary. Oh, and then we get to the oline which is suddenly a MASH unit. This team had plenty of depth it seemed until the last couple of weeks when everyone went down. If this team was healthy I'd like their chances, but now, I think they come stumbling out of the gate offensively and KC scores quickly and simply plays their game. Not enough firepower on offense to overcome early bumbling around and punting and putting Mahomes on the field against that depleted D. He will kill them with his arm and feet. Hate to say it but I think KC puts a hurtin' on the hawks. They are just too depleted. It's a league of attrition - and it just caught up to Seattle. At full strength I'd like them, but not with this much attrition, not against that offense. KC will score plenty. I just don't believe Seattle's offense, with that MASH unit line, can keep up. Once they start with the three and outs - KC will just get too far ahead. It's not a knock on Seattle, it's an acknowledgement of the massive injury factor being extremely hard to overcome. Mahones vs that secondary? Ugh. Seattle just went from very dangerous, to very average. Folks might wanna manage expectations. Seattle is susceptible to tight ends - Kelce will have a field day unless they mix up coverages and contain him. With this injury report, winning this game would be a massive upset. Unless of course they were faking the injury report to mess with KC. Reid and Mahomes vs that collegiate-level secondary? Ouch.

^^^^^ so, I may have been a little off. Please disregard :P

Go Hawks...
Last edited by auroraave on Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Postmortem: Wilson v Mahones

Postby HawkBowler on Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:46 am

...The Balls of Steel Award goes to Russell Wilson. Late in the game after KC scored and Seattle needed first downs to burn clock - he goes and drops a 45 yard surface to surface bomb to Lockette that would make Dick Cheney smile. That took Balls of Steel. The mini bomb to Baldwin - and he now has Two Balls of Steel (awards). That was just ridiculous. SO, yeah, Mahomes, you're having a career year, but Wilson is having a career - recognize that sh*t.

You might have to give a supporting steel ball to Schottenheimer. He made those calls. And we've seen this now in several games where the Hawks have the lead and the ball and everyone is thinking run, run, run. And then it's bombs away to seal the game.

Wilson is the best deep ball thrower in the NFL. It does feel like 2012 in that we're back to run first and the best rushing offense. However, we now have a Wilson we didn't have back then, throwing 34 TDs vs only 6 picks for a 112 QB rating.

As for Mahomes, he's the best 2nd year QB since Dan Marino. And really, since he didn't play much last season, this season is pretty much his first year as a starter. That means he's way better than Manning, Brees, Brady and Wilson to start his career. Crazy good. And his game is a lot like Wilson's game. I think aurora did catch on to some competition between the two. Wilson wanted to show that he's the best, so did Mahomes. This one is going to go down as a classic probably.

Postby HawkBowler on Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:01 am

It wasn't that long ago that QBs went back to the sidelines and picked up a phone to talk with somebody in the booth. Then they might scramble to have somebody run down a print out of the defensive alignments. Now they're all going back to the bench, grabbing the Ipads and seeing everything. With Mahomes last night, Andy Reid sat right next to him when the offense was off the field, not even paying attention to what the Chiefs were doing on defense. It was all about working with Mahomes to try and crack the Seahawk defense.

Postby ThePro on Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:12 am

It's so much fun watching this team .. Auroraave post mortem posts are pure poetry now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby trharder on Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:12 am

auroraave wrote:...The Balls of Steel Award goes to Russell Wilson. Late in the game after KC scored and Seattle needed first downs to burn clock - he goes and drops a 45 yard surface to surface bomb to Lockette that would make Dick Cheney smile. That took Balls of Steel. The mini bomb to Baldwin - and he now has Two Balls of Steel (awards). That was just ridiculous. SO, yeah, Mahomes, you're having a career year, but Wilson is having a career - recognize that sh*t.

The two swapping jerseys at the end warmed the usually-icy cockles of my heart..

Good post, Auro. The above caught my eye because I had similar thoughts during and after the game. Collinsworth stated RW may be the best deep-ball-thrower in the league and then used replay to illustrate. Collisworth is one of the best commentators and played receiver himself, so, legit. RW has landed a remarkable number of these type of passes this year. At one point early in the season I heard several refer to these passes as "50/50 balls" and inferring it was incumbent on the receiver to be the difference. One such pass was even called a "hail Mary" on here. If you look at the tape of any single one of these receptions, you could arguably say that. But now with a good sample size, the stats are saying something totally different. Credit the receivers, for sure, but that many long-ball hook-ups vs. 6 picks is a strong statement by RW.

Acknowledging the QB match-up like you did, I was very curious to see how RW handled the post-game exchange with Mahomes. With RW being the senior "been there and done that" play-making thrill-ride QB, it would have been easy to give Mahomes the hurried fake hand shake and pat on the head, accompanied by an inaudible cliche word of encouragement. Instead, by requesting to exchange jerseys, a custom I usually fine ridiculous, RW paid the kid the ultimate complement. True sportsmanship.

Postby HawkBowler on Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:14 am

ThePro wrote:It's so much fun watching this team .. Auroraave post mortem posts are pure poetry now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

From consummate critic to teenage cheerleader! :-)

Postby openup58 on Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:36 am

Mahomes has a long-long way to go before he can ever compare to Russell Wilson.
Mahomes is one of the rawest QB's I have seen, his luck will wear out quietly if he isn't coached properly.

He has no foot work, his throwing style will catch up sooner than later in the injury department.
He has the tangibles to be a great QB, but needs a mentor to fix just about every aspect of his game.

Don't get me wrong he could be great, but reminds me too much of all the other high profile college QB's who flamed out like Manziel. RGIII and Kaperpunk at this stage in his career.
So lets see how KC handles him and grooms him for the future

Postby ThePro on Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:52 pm

openup58 wrote:Mahomes has a long-long way to go before he can ever compare to Russell Wilson.
Mahomes is one of the rawest QB's I have seen, his luck will wear out quietly if he isn't coached properly.

He has no foot work, his throwing style will catch up sooner than later in the injury department.
He has the tangibles to be a great QB, but needs a mentor to fix just about every aspect of his game.

Don't get me wrong he could be great, but reminds me too much of all the other high profile college QB's who flamed out like Manziel. RGIII and Kaperpunk at this stage in his career.
So lets see how KC handles him and grooms him for the future

None of those QBs you compared him to were considered for league MVP (He'll probably win it) and they sure in the hell didn't throw 48 TD passes in a season. As far as his mechanics he is with the QB guru of all gurus in Andy Reid I'm sure he is fine Mahomes mechanics. You are greatly underestimating that young man. I think he will be the best in the game in two years. And that might not even be true..

We are in agreement in one thing . He has a ways to go before he's Wilson.

Re: Postmortem: Wilson v Mahomes

Postby sasquatch420 on Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:29 pm

Wilson will have to go on the road in the playoffs to win. Last week he was terrible, this week he gets all the praise in the world.

Let's see how he does in the playoffs on the ROAD before he gets paid $35 mil a year. I started RW in my fantasy league because he does well at home and KC pass defense is garbage.

Re: Postmortem: Wilson v Mahomes

Postby ThePro on Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:32 pm

sasquatch420 wrote:Wilson will have to go on the road in the playoffs to win. Last week he was terrible, this week he gets all the praise in the world.

Let's see how he does in the playoffs on the ROAD before he gets paid $35 mil a year. I started RW in my fantasy league because he does well at home and KC pass defense is garbage.

This just in... Wilson has won on the road before. And has even won a Championship.

Next

Return to Seahawks