Advertising

Re: Postmortem: Wilson v Mahomes

Postby auroraave on Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:58 am

With the recent PC extension, which ultimately had to be approved by Jody Allen, you have wonder if she even plans on selling the team, despite the early speculation. Perhaps she keeps the team and continues to run it just like her brother. Be a really interesting story if she keeps it - she doesn't need the money. With the excitement of this season to build on, continuity would be nice. First female owner of an NFL franchise? What other city would that happen in?

Re: Postmortem: Wilson v Mahones

Postby 57reasons on Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:29 pm

ThePro wrote:
openup58 wrote:Mahomes has a long-long way to go before he can ever compare to Russell Wilson.
Mahomes is one of the rawest QB's I have seen, his luck will wear out quietly if he isn't coached properly.

He has no foot work, his throwing style will catch up sooner than later in the injury department.
He has the tangibles to be a great QB, but needs a mentor to fix just about every aspect of his game.

Don't get me wrong he could be great, but reminds me too much of all the other high profile college QB's who flamed out like Manziel. RGIII and Kaperpunk at this stage in his career.
So lets see how KC handles him and grooms him for the future

None of those QBs you compared him to were considered for league MVP (He'll probably win it) and they sure in the hell didn't throw 48 TD passes in a season. As far as his mechanics he is with the QB guru of all gurus in Andy Reid I'm sure he is fine Mahomes mechanics. You are greatly underestimating that young man. I think he will be the best in the game in two years. And that might not even be true..

We are in agreement in one thing . He has a ways to go before he's Wilson.

He is already the best in the league. that used to be ARod's mantle, but Mahomes is like ARod on steroids. Only he and Russell are comparable when it comes to running and throwing on the run, at all kinds of crazy angles. As compared to Brady and Brees, who each require solid interior blocking to fluorish in the pocket (which of course they do better than anyone). As for Russell, consider that this is statistically his best year, having just played his best (or 2nd best) game of the year, and he simply matched the accomplishments of Mahomes, who has played like that all season, in his FIRST (full) season as a starter! Sure, Brady will still carry the GOAT title until (barring injury) Mahomes has played at least 10 more all-pro seasons, but that doesnt mean Mahomes isnt the best player right now - just look at the numbers and trust in the eye test.

Postby D-Trains on Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:15 pm

auroraave wrote:With the recent PC extension, which ultimately had to be approved by Jody Allen, you have wonder if she even plans on selling the team, despite the early speculation. Perhaps she keeps the team and continues to run it just like her brother. Be a really interesting story if she keeps it - she doesn't need the money. With the excitement of this season to build on, continuity would be nice. First female owner of an NFL franchise? What other city would that happen in?

How about Chicago 71 years ago and LA 40 years ago.

National Football League
Upon her husband's death, Frontiere inherited a 70% ownership stake in the Los Angeles Rams. Carroll's five children inherited the other 30%.[3][11]

Often dubbed the first female owner of an NFL franchise, the League reported that Frontiere was actually the second female majority owner. Violet Bidwill Wolfner inherited the Chicago Cardinals after her husband's death in 1947 and owned the franchise until she died in 1962.[1] However, during Frontiere's tenure, she was the only active female majority owner in the NFL.[12]

During her years as owner, Frontiere moved the Rams twice, first relocating from the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in 1980 to Anaheim (a deal Carroll made in 1978),[13] then to St. Louis in 1995.[8]

Postby HawkBowler on Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:48 pm

1985... the last time the Los Angeles Rams won a home playoff game.

Hopefully, we can give that stat again next year.

Postby Michael K 2 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:42 am

It would be interesting to compare 2012 and 2013 to this season in relation to three and outs and time of possession. The scoring defense is certainly aided by us not consistently punting from inside our own twenty on 4th and 17 anymore!

I said to start the season that I would enjoy watching this group more, even if they weren't as good. Not in my wildest dreams did I see us playing for the 5 seed after starting off 0 and 2. Besides the hiccup on the worst playing service this side of RFK, we have been one of the best teams in football starting in week 3.

That Dallas game should be a war at the line of scrimmage. I hope our O Line is back to Brown, Fluker, Britt, Sweezy and Ifedi with Fant at TE by then. Dallas has a very good defense, but from what I have seen of them they are a lot like the other front 7s in the NFL...they would much rather rush the passes.

Re: Postmortem: Wilson v Mahones

Postby HawkBowler on Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:49 pm

57reasons wrote:

None of those QBs you compared him to were considered for league MVP (He'll probably win it) and they sure in the hell didn't throw 48 TD passes in a season. As far as his mechanics he is with the QB guru of all gurus in Andy Reid I'm sure he is fine Mahomes mechanics. You are greatly underestimating that young man. I think he will be the best in the game in two years. And that might not even be true..

We are in agreement in one thing . He has a ways to go before he's Wilson.

He is already the best in the league. that used to be ARod's mantle, but Mahomes is like ARod on steroids. Only he and Russell are comparable when it comes to running and throwing on the run, at all kinds of crazy angles. As compared to Brady and Brees, who each require solid interior blocking to fluorish in the pocket (which of course they do better than anyone). As for Russell, consider that this is statistically his best year, having just played his best (or 2nd best) game of the year, and he simply matched the accomplishments of Mahomes, who has played like that all season, in his FIRST (full) season as a starter! Sure, Brady will still carry the GOAT title until (barring injury) Mahomes has played at least 10 more all-pro seasons, but that doesnt mean Mahomes isnt the best player right now - just look at the numbers and trust in the eye test.

The other guy to add to the mobile thrower list would be Deshaun Watson with the Texans. You might be right in that A Rod is no longer as good on the run as either Wilson or Mahomes.

I think it's safe to say that Mahomes is already in the elite category, but I want to see more than one season. RG3 had probably the greatest first season for a QB ever. Dakota in Dallas was great his rookie year. Everyone thought Wentz was elite until he came back to earth this year. Can't see much of drop off for Mahomes, but he's not always going to have an all-star surrounding cast. At one point this season, he had arguably the best wide-out, TE and RB. His OL is also excellent.

I still think the Chiefs will go one and done. A) Andy Reid is great at getting his team to the playoffs, not so good and winning a championship. B) The Chiefs defense is terrible and the offense is not geared to take pressure off that side of the ball. Instead of 40 plus points per game, the Chiefs need 4-5 eight minute drives per game. The fast break offense doesn't help their defense.

The Chiefs could be the next world champs or they could be the next Bengals -- great in the regular season, bad in the playoffs. We'll see.
Last edited by HawkBowler on Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby HawkBowler on Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:52 pm

Michael K 2 wrote:It would be interesting to compare 2012 and 2013 to this season in relation to three and outs and time of possession. The scoring defense is certainly aided by us not consistently punting from inside our own twenty on 4th and 17 anymore!

Our offense is better. Our defense is worse. The biggest difference, though, is having a Wilson in his 7th year vs rookie Wilson or 2nd year Wilson. He wasn't even attempting the throws back then that he regularly hits now.

Postby auroraave on Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:54 am

That Dallas game should be a war at the line of scrimmage. I hope our O Line is back to Brown, Fluker, Britt, Sweezy and Ifedi with Fant at TE by then. Dallas has a very good defense, but from what I have seen of them they are a lot like the other front 7s in the NFL...they would much rather rush the passes.

What is interesting to consider is the impact a top rushing offense has on defenses that are 'pass rusher' deep. it basically eliminates, or at least minimizes the effectiveness of, that position. Teams have spent enormous capitol investing in the edge rusher - but what happens when they face a team that is far more balanced and runs far more? Their impact is minimized. With pass happy offenses getting all the glory (and PI calls, don't even get me started on that), and teams reacting by investing in all those pass rushers, PC's philosophy is really the perfect counterbalance. As we saw with the Lambs - they don't want any part of taking on beast mode type backs. Plus, it's easier to neutralize the Aaron Donald's of the world by attacking them at the LOS from different angles, vs them charging olineman who are backpeddaling. Advantage: oline. be interesting to see the paradigm shift in coaching and philosophy based on this unique style of play.

Postby ThePro on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:16 am

auroraave wrote:

What is interesting to consider is the impact a top rushing offense has on defenses that are 'pass rusher' deep. it basically eliminates, or at least minimizes the effectiveness of, that position. Teams have spent enormous capitol investing in the edge rusher - but what happens when they face a team that is far more balanced and runs far more? Their impact is minimized. With pass happy offenses getting all the glory (and PI calls, don't even get me started on that), and teams reacting by investing in all those pass rushers, PC's philosophy is really the perfect counterbalance. As we saw with the Lambs - they don't want any part of taking on beast mode type backs. Plus, it's easier to neutralize the Aaron Donald's of the world by attacking them at the LOS from different angles, vs them charging olineman who are backpeddaling. Advantage: oline. be interesting to see the paradigm shift in coaching and philosophy based on this unique style of play.

The strength of the Cowboys front seven is in their LBs. Should be interesting to see how the interior of the Hawks Oline in Britt and hopefully Sweezy and Fluker block the second level.

If Hawks end up playing Dallas. That still could change.

Postby D-Trains on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:20 am

They just need to win tomorrow to play Dallas. I just can't fathom losing to that shitshow of a team:

1. The Cardinals allowed 269 rushing yards, 6.6 yards per carry and three rushing scores in a 31-9 loss to the Rams last week.

Oh, and standout Los Angeles running back Todd Gurley didn’t even play.

This is far from a fluke for the Cardinals, who rank dead last in the NFL in rushing defense (153.1 yards per game), 31st in runs of 20 or more yards allowed (20) and tied for 23rd in opponent yards per carry.

That all bodes well for a Seahawks offense that leads the NFL with 158.5 rushing yards and 33.3 attempts per game … even if starting running back Chris Carson is gifted some much-needed rest.

2. Rookie quarterback Josh Rosen was replaced by Mike Glennon for the second consecutive week.

That shouldn’t be all that surprising, considering that the No. 10 pick in the 2018 NFL draft has completed just 55.4 percent of his passes and throw for 10 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. In his last two games, Rosen has completed just 55.6 percent of his passes, throwing for 219 yards and zero touchdowns with a pair of picks.

The Cardinals’ most effective quarterback last weekend actually might have been Larry Fitzgerald. The veteran wide receiver threw the first touchdown pass of his career, a 32-yard pass to David Johnson. It was Arizona’s only touchdown of the game.

3. The Cardinals rank last in the NFL in scoring, averaging just 13.4 points per game.

They’ve scored fewer than 20 points in 12 of 15 games this season and are averaging just 8.7 points in their last three games.

It doesn’t help, of course, that Arizona currently ranks last in the league in both rushing offense (83.8 yards per game) and passing offense (160.7 yards per game).

The Cardinals may be bad, but at least they’re balanced in their incompetence.

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks