Advertising

Re: Is this season a testament to the system more than anyth

Postby McFrisky on Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:58 pm

Christian McCaffrey was off to the races and had us dead to rites, but Shaq Griffin ran him down.

i feel we're giving up stuff from 20 to 20 but holding teams off in the red zone. Is that because of facing 5 very good QBs in a row? Stafford,Goff, Rivers, Rodgers and Newton (then much later, Mahomes). Our defense is evolving and will get better?

i feel there is something to the 'system' or 'program'. There is also a sort of DNA in the players we bring in. It seems this team always believes and defends every blade of grass. This team is seemingly also a true brotherhood and i keep hearing this narrative from the players.

i think we have $60 M in cap space so after taking care of Frank Clarke, will we make some acquisitions like we did in the past when we brought in Avril and Bennett (Harvin)?

Great thread.

Postby 57reasons on Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:04 am

McFrisky wrote:Christian McCaffrey was off to the races and had us dead to rites, but Shaq Griffin ran him down.

i feel we're giving up stuff from 20 to 20 but holding teams off in the red zone. Is that because of facing 5 very good QBs in a row? Stafford,Goff, Rivers, Rodgers and Newton (then much later, Mahomes). Our defense is evolving and will get better?

i feel there is something to the 'system' or 'program'. There is also a sort of DNA in the players we bring in. It seems this team always believes and defends every blade of grass. This team is seemingly also a true brotherhood and i keep hearing this narrative from the players.

i think we have $60 M in cap space so after taking care of Frank Clarke, will we make some acquisitions like we did in the past when we brought in Avril and Bennett (Harvin)?

Great thread.

Avril and Bennett were absolute steals that Schneider wisely got when Russ was on rookie deal, and many other teams were just not very smart, lavishing ridiculous dollars on bigger name FAs that were past their prime and the squad was more than one player away from contention. Teams are smarter now, so i cant see lightning strike twice. So higher priority re-signing Clark, Reed, Fluke and Sweeze, and Kendricks for cheap (has to miss a year in jail). and of course Russ is gonna break the bank, but worth it.

Postby Michael K 2 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:07 am

Signing Fluker and Sweezy is a tough one for me. It isn't like this is the first year those two struggled to stay on the field.

Postby openup58 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:23 am

Michael K 2 wrote:Signing Fluker and Sweezy is a tough one for me. It isn't like this is the first year those two struggled to stay on the field.

Both were active but they decided not to play them to allow for more healing time.
Injuries are a fluke, they can hit anyone at anytime. Plus as you get older, the greater the risk f getting injured in most cases. Luckily for us, our book end guards will be ready to stop the pass rush of the Cowgirls and open lanes even wider for our Rb's to run wild in Dallas

Postby HawkBowler on Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:42 am

I was surprised by all the special teams gaffs. Two blocked punts. Two huge run backs. This last game should have been like 30-10, but the ST game made it close throughout.

Postby D-Trains on Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:56 am

Blocked punts are so rare in the NFL. Just such a ridiculous thing to screw up. Hopefully just a one off......

dt

Postby HawkBowler on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:00 pm

57reasons wrote:
HawkBowler wrote:I called it... first time in HawkBowler history. I said before week one that the Hawks would be 10-6 and make the playoffs. I was chided as a Hellen Kellen homer. The worst sort of heretic. Foolish for thinking anything good could come from the end of the LOB.

i thought coming in that the Hawks had their biggest range of any season i could remember - could legitimately finish anywhere from 4-12 to 12-4. With so many replacements who had yet to prove it, including coaches, hard to say with any confidence what the outcome would be. You do deserve credit for not jumping off the bandwagon and writing them off like those lazy pundits who cannot appreciate the wisdom of PC/JS's less-conventional style, but the reality is this season was close to unravelling after the 0-2 start before Pete course-corrected and got out of Schneider's way. Yes we all hoped Lockett could be a lead receiver, that Fluker could improve the run game, that Carson and/or Penny could emerge in the backfield, Ifedi could solve his pass pro woes, that a rookie converted safety could survive (let alone thrive) as a starting corner, that Griffin could convert to left corner, that anyone could replace the best ever safety tandem of Kam and Earl, and somewhere someone could manage some pass rush with Avril and Bennett departing. That was a LOT to hope for, and yet it all turned out right. And retooled now for another extended run - that's an amazing season, no matter what the outcome is next Saturday (and i like our chances there too).

Next to the Patriots, the Hawks are the most consistent football team in the league since Pete has been here. Both FOs have strong systems with dynamic QB/Coach. The Patriots are always considered to be contenders as long as they have Brady/Bellichick, the same is holding true for Pete/Wilson.

Pete's system is the reason we've had so many stars emerge. We've always given credit to the stars and discounted Pete. But this season is the proving ground... Pete showed that his system is about 11 guys tackling and playing together. The system makes the players better, not the other way around.

Then we have the awesome base of the 12s. We don't have home crowd allegiance problems like we see around the league. 12s also travel well. This makes a tangible difference.

We had Graham and Bennett and Sherm and Earl and Kam... and we still finished 9-7 and out of the playoffs last year. I figured that we would hold around that mark and make the playoffs at 10-6. This wasn't unreasonable given the average number of wins over the last 7 years.

Postby HawkBowler on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:00 pm

57reasons wrote:
HawkBowler wrote:I called it... first time in HawkBowler history. I said before week one that the Hawks would be 10-6 and make the playoffs. I was chided as a Hellen Kellen homer. The worst sort of heretic. Foolish for thinking anything good could come from the end of the LOB.

i thought coming in that the Hawks had their biggest range of any season i could remember - could legitimately finish anywhere from 4-12 to 12-4. With so many replacements who had yet to prove it, including coaches, hard to say with any confidence what the outcome would be. You do deserve credit for not jumping off the bandwagon and writing them off like those lazy pundits who cannot appreciate the wisdom of PC/JS's less-conventional style, but the reality is this season was close to unravelling after the 0-2 start before Pete course-corrected and got out of Schneider's way. Yes we all hoped Lockett could be a lead receiver, that Fluker could improve the run game, that Carson and/or Penny could emerge in the backfield, Ifedi could solve his pass pro woes, that a rookie converted safety could survive (let alone thrive) as a starting corner, that Griffin could convert to left corner, that anyone could replace the best ever safety tandem of Kam and Earl, and somewhere someone could manage some pass rush with Avril and Bennett departing. That was a LOT to hope for, and yet it all turned out right. And retooled now for another extended run - that's an amazing season, no matter what the outcome is next Saturday (and i like our chances there too).

Next to the Patriots, the Hawks are the most consistent football team in the league since Pete has been here. Both FOs have strong systems with dynamic QB/Coach. The Patriots are always considered to be contenders as long as they have Brady/Bellichick, the same is holding true for Pete/Wilson.

Pete's system is the reason we've had so many stars emerge. We've always given credit to the stars and discounted Pete. But this season is the proving ground... Pete showed that his system is about 11 guys tackling and playing together. The system makes the players better, not the other way around.

Then we have the awesome base of the 12s. We don't have home crowd allegiance problems like we see around the league. 12s also travel well. This makes a tangible difference.

We had Graham and Bennett and Sherm and Earl and Kam... and we still finished 9-7 and out of the playoffs last year. I figured that we would hold around that mark and make the playoffs at 10-6. This wasn't unreasonable given the average number of wins over the last 7 years.

Postby BaseHitDerby on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:20 pm

Bradley and Quinn probably tried to implement the same system on other teams but didnt have success cause they didn't have the players. Sherman, Chancellor, and Bennett were all great players regardless of team. It's messed up people are bashing these guys now that they're no longer on our team even after all they did for the hawks.

Postby D-Trains on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:29 pm

BaseHitDerby wrote:Bradley and Quinn probably tried to implement the same system on other teams but didnt have success cause they didn't have the players. Sherman, Chancellor, and Bennett were all great players regardless of team. It's messed up people are bashing these guys now that they're no longer on our team even after all they did for the hawks.

Nobody's bashing Kam, most are ambivalent about Sherm, Bennett is a POS.

dt

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks