Advertising

Re: How has Shaquem Griffin played this year???

Postby openup58 on Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:52 pm

ThePro wrote:
D-Trains wrote:Just seems weird that one gets it and one seems almost Clueless. They've had the same coaching their entire lives.

There's more than intelligence at work here. Griffin is undersized for the position. He can't be hesitant in anything he does . He has to use his speed to get around blockers at this level. Seems like he is overthinking the process.

Just think back on rookie seasons by Earl Thomas or even his twin brother. They were all lost at some point to learn the nuances of the NFL game. Also remember his brother has one year on him, so lets see how he does next season and see what moves are made as far as extensions, F/A and draft picks to see what position people will be playing.

i still say if he had two hands he would have been a 1st rd pick an Seattle got a steal picking him when they did.
Time will tell

Postby ThePro on Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:09 pm

openup58 wrote:
Just think back on rookie seasons by Earl Thomas or even his twin brother. They were all lost at some point to learn the nuances of the NFL game. Also remember his brother has one year on him, so lets see how he does next season and see what moves are made as far as extensions, F/A and draft picks to see what position people will be playing.

i still say if he had two hands he would have been a 1st rd pick an Seattle got a steal picking him when they did.
Time will tell

Thomas nor Shaquill never struggled like this... Not even close. I will give Shaqueem this. He's only a 5th round draft pick . Not like he was a 1st rounder.

Postby Don Gorgon on Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:13 pm

the guy projected as a STs player, it was a "feel good" story that the Hawks drafted him, not sure why the expectations of his having a big impact his first season came from

Postby SonsofHan on Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:11 pm

I think they should consider moving Shaquem to Kam Chancellor's position. I think he could make the transition. His combine measurements

Shaquem is listed at 6'1" 227# (4.38 40 time) which is smallish for a linebacker. He could be kinda like a hybrid player. I like D Buchanon from the Cards he is 6'1" 211# 40 time 4.49. but plays as a linebacker a lot.

Again, Kam to me was superman strong. I remember watching him come up in run support vs the Broncos. There was a pulling OL and it would seem from the angles involved the OL should have had the attack advantage and the outcome was not consistent with that assessment. The OL was knocked out with a concussion. I like the idea of a big fast hammer playing the SS Kam position. He does not have the length of Kam but has better speed.

What do you think?

Postby SonsofHan on Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:38 pm

OH: I really noticed that in the Denver game he didn't appear to be reacting fast to the reads. He didn't react and cover, attack the lane(s) he was assigned, etc.

To this issue sometimes it takes a lot of practice makes perfect to take on the position he is assigned with-in the Seattle system. At Central Florida he may have been the best athlete on the team or the defense or the front seven etc. The DC or whoever may have designed and called plays to take advantage of his match-up advantages, skill set, etc. He may have been the best athlete on the field and the plays, and design of the D focused around him.

I have seen many Seattle draftees look not so good early on but grow and blossom into good players in years 2-3-4.

I am not ready to call him a loss at all.

Postby 57reasons on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:51 am

SonsofHan wrote:OH: I really noticed that in the Denver game he didn't appear to be reacting fast to the reads. He didn't react and cover, attack the lane(s) he was assigned, etc.

To this issue sometimes it takes a lot of practice makes perfect to take on the position he is assigned with-in the Seattle system. At Central Florida he may have been the best athlete on the team or the defense or the front seven etc. The DC or whoever may have designed and called plays to take advantage of his match-up advantages, skill set, etc. He may have been the best athlete on the field and the plays, and design of the D focused around him.

I have seen many Seattle draftees look not so good early on but grow and blossom into good players in years 2-3-4.

I am not ready to call him a loss at all.

I too think his best position ultimately may be at strong safety. as to looking slow as a rookie, especially in first game, that is not at all surprising. especially again at the LB position, where you have to read and react as opposed to just shooting a gap. very typical to have significant improvement year 2 after acclimating to the greater speed of the game at this level, learning the particular defensive scheme, and also gaining familiarity with opponents' schemes for how they attack it.

Postby openup58 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:26 am

I guess people forget when Earl came in as a rookie, he was a bull in a China shop, he was all throttle and no control. He was pulled several times for trying to hard and not making plays. It's easy to forget as in his 2nd year the legend was born and he developed into the best Safety in the game.

Postby D-Trains on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:06 pm

Jury is still out on him obviously but Pocic sure is banging hard on the Bust door.....

dt

Postby HawkBowler on Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:43 am

D-Trains wrote:Jury is still out on him obviously but Pocic sure is banging hard on the Bust door.....

dt

I'm hoping it's just a Cable abuse situation where it takes a couple of seasons for him to find his position and his game. Kind of like Britt...

Postby 57reasons on Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:04 pm

HawkBowler wrote:
D-Trains wrote:Jury is still out on him obviously but Pocic sure is banging hard on the Bust door.....

dt

I'm hoping it's just a Cable abuse situation where it takes a couple of seasons for him to find his position and his game. Kind of like Britt...

thing is though, he's more of a Cable type (versatile, mobile) than a Solari type (big road grader). i dont expect him to get a second contract here if he gets any competitive offers from one of the many teams with woeful offensive lines. i would be more disappointed if we hadnt found the hidden gem in Jordan Simmons and gotten such good results from Fluker, who like Solari was a Giants castoff.

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks