Advertising

Postmortem: Seahawks v Arizona

Postby auroraave on Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:14 am

Things I can check off my December bucket list; visiting Seattle and it rains; returning to LA and it's sunny, the Seahawks having their annual **** show performance vs the hapless Cardinals who, somehow, while fighting for the top pick, manage to make Seattle look completely inept.

But they won, so let's consider something bigger...

Perhaps this was exactly the slugfest Seattle needed - ending the season by winning all fugly-like. The optics were ugly, the process was cringeworthy, the total 'lack of' seemed painful, but winning this kind of game builds character, believe the cliche. These are confidence builders and show the kids how important every game is. There are no gimme's in the NFL. You better learn that early. It's a very real road that turns rookies into seasoned vets and leads to championship runs. Can we handle must-win games? Check. Pressure games on the road? Check. Playoff-clinching games at home against 'elite' competition? Check. How about a meaningless game during the holiday season with nothing on the line? Check! These games matter in the growth of the team. These are tough games to get up for.

That said, what a f'n shitshow. Offense did the three and out thing way too often. Six sacks? Let's attribute it to the experimental offensive line. Lots 'o shuffling up front - killing continuity. Heading into the playoffs, expect Fluker and Ifedi back to their regular positions on the right side, with a heavy dose of Fant. We know Brown will anchor the left side, but Pocic has been a liability. That needs to be addressed quickly - or look for the Cowboys to do a lot of blitzing.

So, we're just gonna do the "I got the dropsies" thing, Doug Baldwin? WTF was that? Better bring that anger back. Better be motivation to carve up Jerry's Kids. This was symptomatic of a team that was not entirely focused.

Montana to Rice. Aikman to Irvin. Brady to Gronk. Wilson to Lockett. Yeah, that's right. I said it. Okay, I typed it. That combo is making big plays in big situations.

Cardinals did Seattle a favor by blocking those kicks and humiliating our special teams. Carroll and Co will be forced to address this issue, not just in the short term (playoffs) but in the big picture, with coaching adjustments, changes, and new personnel needed. Please draft a kicker. The scariest moments are when Seabass waddles his fat ass out there - I have little faith in him. Stop running kicks out of the endzone - take the free 25 yards. WTF is that all about? Giving up too many long returns.

Seattle's glaring weakness going into the playoffs is Special Teams, not including Dickson who will be better because of this game and the lessons learned (go faster). But that is an issue that will be addressed in time. With a solid draft in 2019 and a possible coaching change there, Seattle should be on schedule withe the 'rebuild'.

Didn't feel like it at times, but the defense played very well. Wags and Wright (naturally) led the defense with 12 and 7 tackles. The d-line put pressure on Rosen all day - but let's also put context into it - that Arizona line is a M.A.S.H. unit. Poona Ford and Jacob Martin showing something out there. Suddenly, there is depth up front.

The defense is morphing into a very scrappy unit - the secondary is young but growing and improving. Check out Arizona's drive chart...

POSS PLAYS YDS RESULT
ARI 25 1:32 3 9 PUNT
SEA 28 2:22 7 11 FG
ARI 39 1:34 4 9 DOWNS
ARI 25 2:34 6 9 FUMBLE
ARI 25 2:26 5 20 PUNT
ARI 27 1:28 3 27 TD
SEA 21 2:13 4 -11 FG
ARI 36 0:47 6 31 HALF
ARI 19 2:00 3 8 PUNT
ARI 39 3:06 5 13 PUNT
ARI 30 2:49 7 8 PUNT
ARI 20 3:29 5 11 FUMBLE
ARI 25 4:31 9 38 FG

Looks like Chris Carson can play ball. Beast Mode 2.0. Hope he has a 1000 yard milestone bonus lined up in his contract - the kid's earned it. Rashaad did not look to be at game speed - a hesitancy - he seems to be a back that needs consistent carries to get going - not a guy who flourishes with 5 carries a game. I want to see what he can do.

If not for Seattle's too-often three and outs and colossal special teams blunders, this would've been the one-sided ass kicking everyone expected.

What would the defense look like with (a happy and focused) Earl Thomas? Sorry (not sorry) but I can't stop wondering. Do we give him another year? Does he want to be here? Has anyone seen him? Eh, we probably don't, but let me wonder how good this unit would/could/should be with him back there... and they're already pretty good and feisty.

Keys to beating Dallas:
Double Amari Cooper - avoid the big plays.
Focus on stopping Ezekial Elliott.
Make Dak beat you.
Score TD's, not field goals.
Minimize turnovers and penalties.
Score more points than Dallas. :P

Go Hawks...
Last edited by auroraave on Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Postmortem: Seahawks v Arizona

Postby srgsx on Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:37 am

An excellent read as always- Dougie was sure off yesterday, not the norm for him, also seemed like Vannet and Davis were getting into the lets drop this and that fun, and for the love of god (We all love T-lock) but can we please find someone else to return kicks ? I need #16 to focus on getting more targets, DPI's against CB's and not making yet more head scratching return decision. Lordy that game was rough-

Postby openup58 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:22 am

2 starters missing on the OL. 2 defensive players missing, 1 pulled from game early. One who played 50% snaps.
All this game showed is we are not as deep as we need to be.

The team against KC and AZ will not be the same team facing Dallas. We should be at 100% on both sides of the ball, which means we will not only cover the ridiculous -2.5 pt spread, but we should win comfortably.
Have faith and let Russell deliver us into round 2 of the playoffs!

Postby muske bokserice on Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:28 am

openup58 wrote:2 starters missing on the OL. 2 defensive players missing, 1 pulled from game early. One who played 50% snaps.
All this game showed is we are not as deep as we need to be.

The team against KC and AZ will not be the same team facing Dallas. We should be at 100% on both sides of the ball, which means we will not only cover the ridiculous -2.5 pt spread, but we should win comfortably.
Have faith and let Russell deliver us into round 2 of the playoffs!

exactly

Postby HawkBowler on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:58 pm

I agree with aurora's post with the exception of 'completing the rebuild'... playoff teams are not rebuilding teams. We're in the tournament with a chance at the Lombardi. Are we perfect? No and neither is any other team. The point being that we don't need another draft in order to measure up to the competition.

Postby 2021WSorBust on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:03 pm

In regards to special teams, am I am only one that wants to see Seabass walk out on the field to make a kick with a tumbler of scotch in one hand and a cigarette in the other?

Postby David Gee 24 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:19 pm

Obviously far from the Hawks' best effort, but the final score was mega-fluky. Two blocked punts and a long punt return got the Cardinals 18 of their points and that interception got them three. The Cardinals only achieved scoring three of their points by actually driving from their half of the field. If the special teams doesn't put up that abomination this game is a rout, even if an ugly one.

Postby McFrisky on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:15 pm

Help me. i am confused. If all scoring plays are reviewed then how come AZ was allowed to keep their 2 pt conversion when the camera showed that he was down BEFORE the goal line?

What's the point of reviewing all scoring plays if you're not going to reverse a called conversion?

Postby D-Trains on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:19 pm

McFrisky wrote:Help me. i am confused. If all scoring plays are reviewed then how come AZ was allowed to keep their 2 pt conversion when the camera showed that he was down BEFORE the goal line?

What's the point of reviewing all scoring plays if you're not going to reverse a called conversion?

They obviously thought he made it or they didn't see enough evidence to over turn it.

dt

Postby HawkBowler on Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:05 am

Next

Return to Seahawks