Advertising

Playoff picks?

Postby Hindemith on Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:26 pm

I can't recall an opening week of playoffs where the games were this tough to call. I could see all the wild card teams winning almost as easily as the other way around. If anyone has any "special" insights I'd be interested in hearing them, because I would be flipping a coin to predict any of these.

Colts @ Texans: I know very little about either of these teams and haven't seen either of them play this year. They both are in the +80's in scoring differential for whatever that's worth. They both got off to horrible starts then went on a tear, Houston going 11-2 and Indy going 9-1. Houston hosted the Colts 4 weeks ago and lost by a field goal. That adds a revenge factor which may give the Texans a slight edge, so I'll pick them to win this in a close one.

Seahawks @ Cowboys: Simply put, the Seahawks are the better team. The Cowboys went 7-1 over their last 8, including wins over the Eagles and Saints, but all those wins were by 8 points or less, and they got completely shut down by the Colts. Going into this game with both our starting guards and safeties coming off injuries and less than 100% is certainly a cause for concern. And after I read that the head referee is a Texas native I just get the feeling that things aren't going to go our way. I have to go with Dallas by 4 in this one.

Chargers @ Ravens: The Chargers were the best road team in the NFL this year. The Ravens' D led the NFL in yards allowed and was second in points allowed. Both teams were right around +100 in scoring differential. The thing with the Ravens is that they are like the Seahawks on steroids over the past 7 weeks, averaging 230 yards rushing per game. Again, I don't know that much about either team's injury situations so that might swing things towards one team. Also, there is again the motivating factor of revenge for the Chargers who lost to Baltimore at home just two weeks ago. With what little I know, I will go with the Ravens in another close one.

Eagles @ Bears: This one should be obvious, right? The Bears, over the course of the season, were just a much better team than the Eagles. But, Philly finished the reg season with 3 quality wins to scrape into the playoffs and they will be playing loose while the Bears will be feeling the pressure of heightened expectations having won 9 of 10 and their last 4 (including solid wins over the Rams and Vikings). I did happen to see the injury report for the Eagles and their starting LT and LG, along with Michael Bennett are all questionable to play, and they will be without Sidney Jones as well in a depleted secondary. Foles apparently isn't 100% either (bruised ribs), but he's got the experience (and confidence) factor over Trubitsky. That won't be enough, though, IMIO (in my ill-informed opinion) and I pick the Bears by 5.

Re: Playoff picks?

Postby auroraave on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:28 am

Seahawks @ Cowboys: Simply put, the Seahawks are the better team. The Cowboys went 7-1 over their last 8, including wins over the Eagles and Saints, but all those wins were by 8 points or less, and they got completely shut down by the Colts. Going into this game with both our starting guards and safeties coming off injuries and less than 100% is certainly a cause for concern. And after I read that the head referee is a Texas native I just get the feeling that things aren't going to go our way. I have to go with Dallas by 4 in this one.

This is such a tough game to call. I can tell you here in LA - everyone I know, including the local ESPN radio, is taking Seattle. Literally no one is taking Dallas. But, what no one seems to be talking about - is just how much pressure there must be on Dallas and Garrett to win this game. They have not won a meaningful game for 20 years. Isn't this the game that either Dallas wins or Garrett is fired? How can Jones possibly justify keeping him if they lose? Statistically, Dallas is bound to win one of these games. Seattle has a distinct edge in coaching and under center, the rest is pretty even. Penalties and turnover and good old fashioned lucky bounces may be the difference. I like Seattle, but I also recognize that at some point, Dallas is going to win one of these meaningful games. The irony is that, if they do, then they are stuck with more Jason Garrett. Zero pressure on Seattle here.

Colts may be the hottest team in the AFC right now and I want to see more Luck, Chargers will probably find a way to choke, and I'm taking the Eagles over the Bears. In the history of the world, the words "Trubisky will lead us to victory" have never been uttered. Scrappy Eagles defy the odds.

Postby D-Trains on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:40 am

Did the Chargers get screwed or what? Tied for the best record in the AFC and have to travel 3k miles and play a 10am PST game with just 5 days rest. Wow.

dt

Postby D-Trains on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:42 am

Alex Collins sure came back to earth. 411 yards and just a 3.6 YPC. Terrible. Guessing he had injury issues but still.

dt

Postby D-Trains on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:46 am

auroraave wrote:

This is such a tough game to call. I can tell you here in LA - everyone I know, including the local ESPN radio, is taking Seattle. Literally no one is taking Dallas. But, what no one seems to be talking about - is just how much pressure there must be on Dallas and Garrett to win this game. They have not won a meaningful game for 20 years. Isn't this the game that either Dallas wins or Garrett is fired? How can Jones possibly justify keeping him if they lose? Statistically, Dallas is bound to win one of these games. Seattle has a distinct edge in coaching and under center, the rest is pretty even. Penalties and turnover and good old fashioned lucky bounces may be the difference. I like Seattle, but I also recognize that at some point, Dallas is going to win one of these meaningful games. The irony is that, if they do, then they are stuck with more Jason Garrett. Zero pressure on Seattle here.

Colts may be the hottest team in the AFC right now and I want to see more Luck, Chargers will probably find a way to choke, and I'm taking the Eagles over the Bears. In the history of the world, the words "Trubisky will lead us to victory" have never been uttered. Scrappy Eagles defy the odds.

:lol: The closest would probably be "Trotsky will lead us to victory" but the f-ing Commies were wrong about that weren't they. :mrgreen:

Postby SonsofHan on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:52 am

D-Trains wrote:Did the Chargers get screwed or what? Tied for the best record in the AFC and have to travel 3k miles and play a 10am PST game with just 5 days rest. Wow.

dt

Wow, I thought the NFL only screwed over the Hawks. How does the NFL justify sending a team 3K miles on 5 days rest vs at least giving them a Sunday match-up. The Broncos did not make the playoffs so it is not like they can claim it was either them or the Chargers matching up on Saturday. I tire of corruption.

Postby auroraave on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:00 am

:lol: The closest would probably be "Trotsky will lead us to victory" but the f-ing Commies were wrong about that weren't they. :mrgreen:

lol! well played! Followed closely by "Rick 'tiny hands' Mirer will lead us to victory!"

Postby Don Gorgon on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:02 am

D-Trains wrote:Alex Collins sure came back to earth. 411 yards and just a 3.6 YPC. Terrible. Guessing he had injury issues but still.

dt

foot injury, they finally put him on the IR 1st of Dec

Postby auroraave on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:02 am

SonsofHan on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:52 am

D-Trains wrote:
Did the Chargers get screwed or what? Tied for the best record in the AFC and have to travel 3k miles and play a 10am PST game with just 5 days rest. Wow.

dt

Wow, I thought the NFL only screwed over the Hawks. How does the NFL justify sending a team 3K miles on 5 days rest vs at least giving them a Sunday match-up. The Broncos did not make the playoffs so it is not like they can claim it was either them or the Chargers matching up on Saturday. I tire of corruption.

Dude, you want a lesson in corruption? Read the book The Dark Side of Camelot. The Kennedy administration. You can't even fathom the depth of corruption. Incredible, but disturbing, read.

Postby Don Gorgon on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:06 am

thought "The Dark Side of Camelot" dealt more with Kennedy's sexual exploits more than it did corruption

Next

Return to Seahawks