Advertising

Fixable Issues

Postby AZ Old Dawg on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:55 pm

Tonight's game solidified what I have believed this season. I believe we made tremendous strides but still have some issues that are very, very fixable given that we are in a better cap position. First and foremost is the need for a quality separation receiver. Moore and Brown have disappeared and Dallas basically played eleven on ten. Not one target and there has to be a pretty significant reason for that. Second we need another "impact" down lineman. We just seem to be a step away most of the time and that's probably talent/athleticism. Other than that it's a patch here and there for depth and I think we can get to the next level and back to the SB. Kudos to our achievement this year but I am hoping that with some good decision-making in regard to personnel our best is out in front of us.

Re: Fixable Issues

Postby Livesmatterinthiscountry on Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:00 pm

AZ Old Dawg wrote:Tonight's game solidified what I have believed this season. I believe we made tremendous strides but still have some issues that are very, very fixable given that we are in a better cap position. First and foremost is the need for a quality separation receiver. Moore and Brown have disappeared and Dallas basically played eleven on ten. Not one target and there has to be a pretty significant reason for that. Second we need another "impact" down lineman. We just seem to be a step away most of the time and that's probably talent/athleticism. Other than that it's a patch here and there for depth and I think we can get to the next level and back to the SB. Kudos to our achievement this year but I am hoping that with some good decision-making in regard to personnel our best is out in front of us.

The one thing that i don't think is fixable is this team killing themselves with penalties. It's a Pete Caroll thing and will never change. It cost us the game and season today again.

Postby JAWA on Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:06 pm

AZ Old Dawg wrote:Tonight's game solidified what I have believed this season. I believe we made tremendous strides but still have some issues that are very, very fixable given that we are in a better cap position. First and foremost is the need for a quality separation receiver. Moore and Brown have disappeared and Dallas basically played eleven on ten. Not one target and there has to be a pretty significant reason for that. Second we need another "impact" down lineman. We just seem to be a step away most of the time and that's probably talent/athleticism. Other than that it's a patch here and there for depth and I think we can get to the next level and back to the SB. Kudos to our achievement this year but I am hoping that with some good decision-making in regard to personnel our best is out in front of us.

I'm also curious to see who the Hawks will draft this spring. Both Pete and John have their work cut out for them but I believe they'll get the necessary players to help them get to SB LIV in 2020.

Postby SeaFreak on Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:24 pm

Livesmatterinthiscountry wrote:

The one thing that i don't think is fixable is this team killing themselves with penalties. It's a Pete Caroll thing and will never change. It cost us the game and season today again.

I thought Pete's team looked pretty disciplined during the Dallas game as far as the penalties go. In football, you either score a 3, a 7, you punt, or you turn it over. Pretty simple to me that being aggressive as a defensive back is the way to go. An incomplete pass immediately puts the percentages away from the 7 regardless of where it happens on the field. Pete wants his guys going after the ball, and he wants them to smash the opponents when they catch the ball... make the yards hurt. Pete's such a freaking great coach. If The Hawks hired Jason Garrett as their coach I would watch zero games. Pete makes watching football fun. IMO, he's easy to root for, and I think it's that same quality that makes his players play hard for him. We may never see RW and PC in a Super Bowl again. However, we probably will, and that's why it's fun to watch the Seahawks play. Your notion that PC is not one of the greatest coaches of all time is purely based on your fondness for incessantly bitching on the internet. Maybe tone down the bitch mode. See you next playoffs.

Postby Livesmatterinthiscountry on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:58 am

Postby David Gee 24 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:56 am

Livesmatterinthiscountry wrote:https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/1/5/18170509/seahawks-need-to-move-on-special-teams-coach-brian-schneider

Someone pours you a nice tall glass of shut-up juice and in response you post a link to something that has nothing to do with anything. Just drink your juice.

Postby HawkBowler on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:14 am

Third down conversions.... we entered the playoffs with the third highest number of three and outs... and that killed us yesterday. Schotty and Wilson have been excellent at designing and executing the long pass plays, but we've been less than average with the short passing game. This would be the number one fixable issue in my book. Wilson needs to spend the offseason mastering third and 3 to 7 yards.

Why isn't Tyler targetted more? It's so frustrating watching the Hawks try to force passes to Baldwin. Although he made a fantastic catch in the game, he's just not a go-to receiver. Tyler, on the other hand, catches everything that comes close to him. I agree with Dawg that we need a traditional #1 that can stretch the field while also providing plenty of third down conversions. Why didn't we go after Amari Cooper like the Cowboys?

We're not using the RBs enough in the passing game. This has been true, I believe since Wilson first came into the league. You look at other teams like the Saints and nearly 40% of their passes are going to the backs. We have great backs now... they should be catching a lot of passes.

Postby Michael K 2 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:57 pm

Two things in the 4th quarter frustrated me last night. The penalty filled three and out after the INT and the all to predictable 27 yard go route on 3rd and 3 for another three and out. Why do we take so many shots on 3rd and short to medium?

Postby HawkBowler on Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:09 am

Michael K 2 wrote:Two things in the 4th quarter frustrated me last night. The penalty filled three and out after the INT and the all to predictable 27 yard go route on 3rd and 3 for another three and out. Why do we take so many shots on 3rd and short to medium?

Because Wilson and the Hawk receivers are better at 25 yard passes than they are 3 yard passes.

Postby Michael K 2 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:15 am

HawkBowler wrote:
Michael K 2 wrote:Two things in the 4th quarter frustrated me last night. The penalty filled three and out after the INT and the all to predictable 27 yard go route on 3rd and 3 for another three and out. Why do we take so many shots on 3rd and short to medium?

Because Wilson and the Hawk receivers are better at 25 yard passes than they are 3 yard passes.

That probably needs to be addressed. Being better at a low percentage play than you are at a high percentage play is stupid! If that is the case, why does Pete always harp about running the ball so they can get into 3rd and manageable? We should have been the best offense in football last year because we were in 3rd and 15 about every other drive? If we are so good at those types of plays why do we run dump off plays on 3rd and long?

Next

Return to Seahawks