Advertising

Postmortem - Wildcard Edition: Seahawks v Cowboys

Postby auroraave on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:54 am

RIP 2018 season - you were a fun one.

Welp... that was ugly. Let's face it, Seattle got out-Seattled. In the wildcard game versus Dallas, it was the Cowboys who played great defense, strong special teams, and made the big plays on offense.

Time for some Truth Bombs...

Make no mistake, this is not a Super Bowl team. A team on the rise? Sure. But their last four games showed us that they have a ways to go. That ugly loss to SF; the piss-poor effort against the Cardinals; and the reality that they probably should've handled the Cowboys. In between those monstrosities, they took care of business against the darling Chiefs. So, will the real Seahawks please stand up?

The truth is - that's the real Seahawks in a nutshell - sometimes they soar, and sometimes the offense bumbles around for three fourths of a game. But losing to the over-hyped Cowboys? Ugh. Someone hand me a barf bag.

Dare I quote Shakespeare on a football article? Oh, I dare. I damn well dare.

"The (****) show must go on!"

Seattle still has a ways to go. That ain't a knock, it's a dose of reality. We got some parts to fix, kids. The patient has some injuries, starting with way-less-than-special teams. They need a professional kicker and a new coordinator, and a real hard look at the talent on the kick coverage unit. The status quo has gotta go, starting with JanoCOWski.

Dude is not in any kind of shape to be playing professional sports outside of pie and hot dog eating contests. Seriously dude, how can you waddle in to work in that kind of shape? Inexcusable and embarrassing. Michael Dickson - you are a stud! it's almost unfair how much was put on him this season... but the kid balled out.

So, let's pick on the offense for a minute, shall we? Yeah, let's!

Seattle needs a number one wide receiver. Baldwin needs to go, his time is up. Time to go full Bill Walsh - dump players a year early, not a year too late. There's a 6'6 baller at Iowa State. Just sayin'. Love ADB - all the accolades, but gotta improve the WR position and he's on the decline - get over your feelings for him. The position desperately needs an upgrade, and no more smurfs. Size matters!

Seattle's offense was a liability. Absolutely no game plan outside of 'run Carson up the middle, hope for some epic receptions (which, actually, a few happened), and make absolutely zero adjustments. Did Seattle coaches not think Dallas was going to prepare for that?

Seattle's offense was completely out-maneuvered by Dallas's defense, and ex-Seattle defensive coordinator Chris Richard, from the get go. How Seattle wasn't prepared for the obvious Dallas game plan of "stop the run, pressure Wilson" will go down in history as one of the all time epic mysteries, next to the Bermuda Triangle, UFO's, and the existence of those damned unicorns... not to be confused with candy corn, which is definitely a real thing.

Do you like horror movies? The scariest horror movie of 2019 was released yesterday, it's called The Seattle Drive Chart and it's utterly terrifying. A 96% on Rotten Tomatoes. Be warned; these images may not for the faint of heart.

1ST POSS PLAYS YDS RESULT

9:50 SEA 25 1:33 3 8 PUNT

5:32 SEA 23 2:15 3 0 PUNT

2:10 SEA 27 2:10 3 -3 PUNT

2ND POSS PLAYS YDS RESULT

9:48 SEA 22 2:45 6 69 FG

3:12 SEA 48 1:29 6 28 FG

0:24 SEA 49 0:24 4 10 FG MISS

3RD POSS PLAYS YDS RESULT

15:00 SEA 25 1:39 3 4 PUNT

11:07 SEA 13 3:13 6 40 PUNT

7:00 DAL 44 5:01 9 44 TD

4TH POSS PLAYS YDS RESULT

12:28 SEA 25 1:37 3 4 PUNT

9:33 SEA 20 2:14 3 3 PUNT

2:08 SEA 25 0:50 6 75 TD

Who likes math? Okay, no one, but we're gonna do some anyway, so grab some tissues and a banned plastic straw and kick back with your favorite beverage you dangerous outlaws.

1. 12 possessions. Six three and outs. Mathematically, that's a 50% three-and-out ratio. Scientifically - that means shitty. In the second half, where the offense should have made adjustments, they had six possessions - FOUR were three and outs. Hmmm. That's 66.7%. So, after the halftime adjustment period they got... wait for it... worse.

2. Eh, that's enough math for now and, frankly, my calculator died.

Those that know me well on here, and that would be exactly no one, know that my biggest pet peeve is an offense that goes three and out, putting ALL the pressure on the defense. It's exponentially worse with a young defense just getting their sea (hawk) legs. Like what I did there? Newsflash - You. Can't. Do. That. Even the vaunted LOB was vulnerable to a bumbling offense that put 'em in the theater of battle all day. It's not about the lack of scoring - it's a cumulative effect - it's about scoring, relieving the defense, and gaining a field position advantage. Three-and-outs fail to do any of those. So, doing that math, having 50% of your drives literally accomplish nothing = bad.

Memo to Wilson and Shotty; where was the creativity? The counter measures to the blitzing? Where were any misdirection plays? How about another dump off into the flat for five yards in a long yardage situation that everyone telegraphed a mile away? What were you thinking?

Wilson had the most typical Wilson stat line - 18/27/233 and a TD. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to overcome the lack of run game production. Is it just me, or does this offense simply sputter to death without a dominant run game? IS there no Plan B when it gets shut down, which is going to happen on occasion? Wilson has the same stat line whether we run for 50 or 150 - so - where is the extra offensive production supposed to come from? Costco? Thoughts and prayers? That's not dropping the blame on RW, but it demands accountability. A veteran needs to lead, and Dak flat-out out-Wilsoned Wilson. How much were oline injuries a factor?

All Tyler Lockett did was cool Tyler Lockett things. Love that kid. Seems pretty obvious he's the new Baldwin for RW as Baldwin rides off into the sunset. The problem is we still need another body, preferably a big body receiver, to account for the lost production. Penny showed flashes, but as always, he never gets enough touches to ever get warmed up. Hey, that's the problem with having a loaded backfield - which is a pretty good problem to have.

The defense played over there heads most of the game. After weathering that first Cowboy drive and forcing a field goal, they settled down and played great ball - considering how young this group is. They gave up too many big plays on blown assignments, a side effect of youth and inexperience and solid offensive scheming. Recognize the youth movement. That young secondary will grow - just acknowledge the shadow they play in (the L.O.B., in case you've been in prison since 2012). The bar was set impossibly high - so manage expectations.

This team is a handful of players away from being top tier. They won 10 games this season - many on sheer guts and willfulness, and also by dominating the turnover battle. You cannot count on sustaining that - so talent upgrades are necessary. A bit more muscle on the d-line, a kicker who's not covered in gravy, a mother f'n number one wide receiver, and some help at linebacker. As much as it stings to say this, Bobby and KJ have some miles on the odometer - injuries and father time are becoming a factor - replacements need to be targeted. Two of my favorite Seahawks of all time. All they do is make awesome happen.

Which fan base woke up with the worse hangover - Seahawks fans knowing the season is over, of Cowboy fans realizing they are now stuck with Jason Garrett for the foreseeable future? I'll take Seattle's short term loss and bright future over the Cowboy's future prospects of mediocrity. Dallas smells like team that's reached their ceiling.

Good season, kids. This team exceeded my expectations and showed grit, real competitiveness and a bright future ahead for this franchise. Lot's of fun, lots of big wins, lots of promise for this club. Now let's go lock up Clark, rock the draft and kick some ass!

Go Hawks...
Last edited by auroraave on Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Postmortem - Wildcard Edition: Seahawks v Cowboys

Postby HawkBowler on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:11 am

The truth is - that's the real Seahawks in a nutshell - sometimes they soar, and sometimes the offense bumbles around for three fourths of a game. But losing to the over-hyped Cowboys? Ugh. Someone hand me a barf bag.

Well, get ready to barf. This Cowboy team will give the Saints a game in New Orleans with their run attack and defense. They might even be favored if they go to the Rams where half the audience will be wearing blue and silver.

You're right that Seattle got out Seattle'd... but this style of football works.

The Hawks don't play themselves. The hardest thing to do in professional sports is to win on the road in the NFL. In the playoffs it becomes even truer. The Cowboys were desperate for a playoff victory.... so much so that they could have beaten ANY NFL team going into Dallas last night. Remember, they came into the game winning 7 of their last 8... a top five Defense with the league's leading rusher. So please... aurora.. come on now, stop downplaying the competition.

Postby azdawgfan on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:12 am

Or,,,,, the Cowboys dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Having RW, Doug and Tyler gives us a punchers chance, but the game is won or lost in the trenches.
Seems like Britt, #26 and the special teams coach are all significant liabilities.
Anyways, Go Hawks!

Postby maoling on Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:00 pm

How Seattle wasn't prepared for the obvious Dallas game plan of "stop the run, pressure Wilson" will go down in history as an all time epic mysteries, next to the Bermuda Triangle, UFO, and the existence of those damned unicorns... not to be confused with candy corn, which is definitely a real thing

Great post-mortem, aurora. Seattle's offense might be the most stubborn in football. When things aren't going well they almost never mix it up and almost always stick with a plan that isn't working. Pretty frustrating to watch them try the same thing over and over and over. A little more creativity -- especially in a playoff game when your run-first offense is getting shut down might have made the difference yesterday.

Postby Hindemith on Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:45 pm

Seattle needs a number one wide receiver. Baldwin needs to go, his time is up. Time to go full Bill Walsh - dump players a year early, not a year too late. There's a 6'6 baller at Iowa State. Just sayin'. Love ADB - all the accolades, but gotta improve the WR position and he's on the decline - get over your feelings for him. The position desperately needs an upgrade, and no more smurfs. Size matters!

His contract details are here...
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-sea ... dwin-8526/

I'm not sure how to read that chart, but I am assuming that the cap savings if they cut him would be his cat hit minus his dead cap totals for 2019 and 2020. So that would be 7 mil next year and 10 mil the year after. I think he is easily worth that money not only for what he can still contribute on the field, but also for his leadership and locker presence. Also, when you cut a player that is that respected by his team-mates, it sends a bad message and creates morale and discipline issues. That's why there is no zero chance it will happen. Carroll isn't that kind of guy. Maybe Belicek would do it, but I doubt it.

Postby D-Trains on Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:05 pm

What do amoebas armadillos and polliwogs have in common? They all adapt to survive. What do Pete Carroll and Chris Peterson's offenses have in common? They both don't adapt and die.

Postby SeaFreak on Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:15 pm

D-Trains wrote:What do amoebas armadillos and polliwogs have in common? They all adapt to survive. What do Pete Carroll and Chris Peterson's offenses have in common? They both don't adapt and die.

In fairness, I have seen Seahawks game where the run game seems weak, but they stick with it and start gashing for big yards in the 4th.

Also, this game was won at the end. Cowboys last drive to go up 10. There were a lot of penalties on that drive AND they let Dak run for a first down on 3rd and long. They could've been in a pretty good situation had Wilson just got the ball back down 6. We kind of saw that as they scored their last touchdown before that GORGEOUS onside kick attempt from Dickson. Man that was pretty how it just sailed 40 yards too far.

Postby David Gee 24 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:44 pm

It felt like we were playing with house money this year so we'll get over this one quick. If there's one thing that should peeve us though, it's Schotty continuing to call runs up the middle on second-and-long after the first one had gotten stuffed, and in each case the second run got stuffed as well. I think at least three drives got killed by this stupidity.

Even though the Hawks were the only road team to lose this weekend, we certainly have it better than Texans fans, whose team didn't even bother to show up at home, or Bears fans, whose 12-4 season came to an end on a freaking double-doink. Talk about the football gods sticking it to you. Not only that, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears don't even make the playoffs next year, they seemed to catch lightning in a bottle like the Raiders did three years ago.
Last edited by David Gee 24 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby D-Trains on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:56 pm

auroraave wrote:RIP 2018 season - you were a fun one.

Welp... that was ugly. Let's face it, Seattle got out-Seattled. In the wildcard game versus Dallas, it was the Cowboys who played great defense, strong special teams, and made the big plays on offense.

Time for some Truth Bombs...

Make no mistake, this is not a Super Bowl team. A team on the rise? Sure. But their last four games showed us that they have a ways to go. That ugly loss to SF; the piss-poor effort against the Cardinals; and the reality that they probably should've handled the Cowboys. In between those monstrosities, they took care of business against the darling Chiefs. So, will the real Seahawks please stand up?

Dare I quote Shakespeare on a football article? Oh, I dare. I damn well dare.

"The (****) show must go on!"

Seattle still has a ways to go. That ain't a knock, it's a dose of reality. We got some parts to fix, kids. The patient has some injuries, starting with way-less-than-special teams. They need a professional kicker and a new coordinator, and a real hard look at the talent on the kick coverage unit. The status quo has gotta go, starting with JanoCOWski.

Dude is not in any kind of shape to be playing professional sports outside of pie and hot dog eating contests. Seriously dude, how can you waddle in to work in that kind of shape? Inexcusable and embarrassing. Michael Dickson - you are a stud! it's almost unfair how much was put on him this season... but the kid balled out.

So, let's pick on the offense for a minute, shall we? Yeah, let's!

Seattle's offense was a liability. Absolutely no game plan outside of 'run Carson up the middle, hope for some epic receptions (which, actually, a few happened), and make absolutely zero adjustments. Did Seattle coaches not think Dallas was going to prepare for that?

Seattle's offense was completely out-maneuvered by Dallas's defense, and ex-Seattle defensive coordinator Chris Richard, from the get go. How Seattle wasn't prepared for the obvious Dallas game plan of "stop the run, pressure Wilson" will go down in history as one of the all time epic mysteries, next to the Bermuda Triangle, UFO's, and the existence of those damned unicorns... not to be confused with candy corn, which is definitely a real thing.

Do you like horror movies? The scariest horror movie of 2019 was released yesterday, it's called The Seattle Drive Chart and it's utterly terrifying. A 96% on Rotten Tomatoes. Be warned; these images may not for the faint of heart.

1ST POSS PLAYS YDS RESULT

9:50 SEA 25 1:33 3 8 PUNT

5:32 SEA 23 2:15 3 0 PUNT

2:10 SEA 27 2:10 3 -3 PUNT

2ND POSS PLAYS YDS RESULT

9:48 SEA 22 2:45 6 69 FG

3:12 SEA 48 1:29 6 28 FG

0:24 SEA 49 0:24 4 10 FG MISS

3RD POSS PLAYS YDS RESULT

15:00 SEA 25 1:39 3 4 PUNT

11:07 SEA 13 3:13 6 40 PUNT

7:00 DAL 44 5:01 9 44 TD

4TH POSS PLAYS YDS RESULT

12:28 SEA 25 1:37 3 4 PUNT

9:33 SEA 20 2:14 3 3 PUNT

2:08 SEA 25 0:50 6 75 TD

Who likes math? Okay, no one, but we're gonna do some anyway, so grab some tissues and a banned plastic straw and kick back with your favorite beverage you dangerous outlaws.

1. 12 possessions. Six three and outs. Mathematically, that's a 50% three-and-out ratio. Scientifically - that means shitty. In the second half, where the offense should have made adjustments, they had six possessions - FOUR were three and outs. Hmmm. That's 66.7%. So, after the halftime adjustment period they got... wait for it... worse.

2. Eh, that's enough math for now and, frankly, my calculator died.

Those that know me well on here, and that would be exactly no one, know that my biggest pet peeve is an offense that goes three and out, putting ALL the pressure on the defense. It's exponentially worse with a young defense just getting their sea (hawk) legs. Like what I did there? Newsflash - You. Can't. Do. That. Even the vaunted LOB was vulnerable to a bumbling offense that put 'em in the theater of battle all day. It's not about the lack of scoring - it's a cumulative effect - it's about scoring, relieving the defense, and gaining a field position advantage. Three-and-outs fail to do any of those. So, doing that math, having 50% of your drives literally accomplish nothing = bad.

Memo to Wilson and Shotty; where was the creativity? The counter measures to the blitzing? Where were any misdirection plays? How about another dump off into the flat for five yards in a long yardage situation that everyone telegraphed a mile away? What were you thinking?

Wilson had the most typical Wilson stat line - 18/27/233 and a TD. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to overcome the lack of run game production. Is it just me, or does this offense simply sputter to death without a dominant run game? IS there no Plan B when it gets shut down, which is going to happen on occasion? Wilson has the same stat line whether we run for 50 or 150 - so - where is the extra offensive production supposed to come from? Costco? Thoughts and prayers? That's not dropping the blame on RW, but it demands accountability. A veteran needs to lead, and Dak flat-out out-Wilsoned Wilson. How much were oline injuries a factor?

All Tyler Lockett did was cool Tyler Lockett things. Love that kid. Seems pretty obvious he's the new Baldwin for RW as Baldwin rides off into the sunset. The problem is we still need another body, preferably a big body receiver, to account for the lost production. Penny showed flashes, but as always, he never gets enough touches to ever get warmed up. Hey, that's the problem with having a loaded backfield - which is a pretty good problem to have.

The defense played over there heads most of the game. After weathering that first Cowboy drive and forcing a field goal, they settled down and played great ball - considering how young this group is. They gave up too many big plays on blown assignments, a side effect of youth and inexperience and solid offensive scheming. Recognize the youth movement. That young secondary will grow - just acknowledge the shadow they play in (the L.O.B., in case you've been in prison since 2012). The bar was set impossibly high - so manage expectations.

This team is a handful of players away from being top tier. They won 10 games this season - many on sheer guts and willfulness, and also by dominating the turnover battle. You cannot count on sustaining that - so talent upgrades are necessary. A bit more muscle on the d-line, a kicker who's not covered in gravy, a mother f'n number one wide receiver, and some help at linebacker. As much as it stings to say this, Bobby and KJ have some miles on the odometer - injuries and father time are becoming a factor - replacements need to be targeted. Two of my favorite Seahawks of all time. All they do is make awesome happen.

Which fan base woke up with the worse hangover - Seahawks fans knowing the season is over, of Cowboy fans realizing they are now stuck with Jason Garrett for the foreseeable future? I'll take Seattle's short term loss and bright future over the Cowboy's future prospects of mediocrity. Dallas smells like team that's reached their ceiling.

Good season, kids. This team exceeded my expectations and showed grit, real competitiveness and a bright future ahead for this franchise. Lot's of fun, lots of big wins, lots of promise for this club. Now let's go lock up Clark, rock the draft and kick some ass!

Go Hawks...

Plagiarist!!! :P

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/1/6/181 ... 7FrDeUk7as

Postby Sea Hawk aholic on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:30 pm

Great Article by Aurorave. You nailed it and I hope all of the right people are listening. I was looking at the same WR.

So has anyone heard any rumors about shopping for a new offensive coordinator..? Kicker ? Any good candidates available?

For Pete's sake please get a top notch offensive coordinator... No but seriously this time he needs to go because he's terrible.. Pete please wake up. I don't care what you do just don't bring him back next year.

Next

Return to Seahawks