Advertising

Re: Postmortem - Wildcard Edition: Seahawks v Cowboys

Postby D-Trains on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:54 pm

BS says it was the 3rd down conversions not the run pass split that did them in.

Seahawks offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer spoke in an interview on ESPN 710 Seattle on Thursday and said the gameplan against the Dallas Cowboys last Saturday was in keeping with what the Seahawks did all season.

Share story
Bob Condotta By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter
Seahawks offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer insists he was like every other fan of the team — after Seattle lost 24-22 to Dallas in a Wild Card playoff game Saturday, he began wondering what he could have done differently.

Schottenheimer has gotten criticism from fans and football analysts alike for the playcalling Saturday, a game in which the Seahawks were held to 73 yards rushing on 24 attempts — the second-lowest total of the season — with many wondering if Seattle shouldn’t have altered its game plan to pass more.

“Look, we’re no different. I wake up on Sunday and you start thinking through the game,’’ Schottenheimer said in an interview Thursday morning on ESPN 710 Seattle, his first comments since Saturday’s game.

Schottenheimer, though, said he didn’t necessarily agree that the run-pass ratio was the issue. Instead, he said the Seahawks simply didn’t convert enough on third down to stay on the field long enough to sustain drives and get the team into more favorable situations so he could get to more of the calls on his play sheet.

Featured Video

Russell Wilson discusses the Seahawks' 36-31 loss to the Rams (2:15)
Most Read Sports Stories
Seahawks' Ed Dickson looks ahead: 'It's scary to think about how good we can get'
What's the harm? If healthy, no reason Ichiro can't play for Mariners this season | Larry Stone
QB Dylan Morris among eight UW football freshman to enroll early
Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Seahawks part ways with head strength and conditioning coach Chris Carlisle
“The biggest issue we had, and it was kind of the issue we had throughout the course of the year when we struggled, was third down,’’ Schottenheimer said. “We weren’t able to get third downs, we weren’t able to get momentum going.’’

Seattle was just 2-of-13 on third downs in the game, one of which was a third-and-1 conversion on the final offensive play of the first half, as the Seahawks set up for a 57-yard field goal attempt by Sebastian Janikowski.

Seattle had only two third downs of five yards or shorter.

The only other third down it converted was when quarterback Russell Wilson ran for seven yards on a third-and-5 play that set up a Wilson touchdown run two plays later in the third quarter that put Seattle ahead.

“There were certainly things that we wanted to do there,’’ Schottenheimer said. “There were certainly things we had on the call sheet. … We got behind the sticks. So we’ve got to be better.’’

Schottenheimer defended the notion that the team didn’t adapt as the game went on, noting that after Seattle was stopped on its first three drives of the game – two of which included runs on the first two downs and then either an incomplete pass or a sack on third down — Seattle came out throwing.

ADVERTISING

Seattle used long passes of 26 yards to Ed Dickson and 40 yards to Tyler Lockett to drive for a field goal on its fourth series.

“You saw us try to adjust a little bit in that fourth series,’’ Schottenheimer said. “Started in that fourth series against Dallas. We tried to adjust with the play pass. So it’s just something (you plan) throughout the course of the week but you are monitoring throughout the game.’’

Seattle then also threw passes on four of the five plays on its next drive, which also resulted in a field goal.

After running on six of nine plays in the first quarter, the Seahawks threw it on nine of 13 plays in the second quarter.

The Seahawks went back to the run in the third quarter with 13 rushes on 18 plays. That included runs on eight of nine plays on what was the team’s only touchdown drive in the first three quarters, a score that put Seattle ahead 14-10 with 1:59 left in the third quarter.

Dallas responded with a TD drive of its own and Seattle rushed the ball only one more time in the game, throwing on its final 10 offensive plays.

Schottenheimer said the game plan was in keeping with Seattle’s overall offensive philosophy all season in which the team led the NFL in rushing at 160 yards per game.

Schottenheimer just finished his first season with the Seahawks after replacing the fired Darrell Bevell, having been hired to help the team get back to being a consistently good running team.

“That’s the way we played this year and we had some great success with it, so it was really quite easy for me to do that because this is what gives is the best chance to win this year,’’ Schottenheimer said of Saturday’s gameplan.

Intriguingly, though, he then added, “Moving forward, who knows?’’

Schottenheimer said the team’s run-first style was what the Seahawks felt best fit their personnel this season. But he said every year is different and moves the team makes in the offseason could dictate a somewhat different philosophy next year, even if Seattle’s philosophy of establishing the run is always likely to be paramount.

“We are very comfortable with the way we play football,’’ he said. “Not that we don’t want to add things. You’ve got to evolve in this game and that’s what we are excited about.’’

Schottenheimer also was asked about one play that has been questioned — the Seahawks passing out of an empty set on a third-and-2 on the first series of the game.

In an empty set, there is no running back and hence the opponent knows to expect a pass.

Schottenheimer, though, pointed out that Wilson has had some significant runs out of empty sets, so it doesn’t mean a run is off the table.

“If they do cover people, our quarterback has been known to get out for explosive plays,’’ Schottenheimer said. “There are benefits to empty (sets).’’

He also said the team inserted J.D. McKissic on the play hoping for a favorable matchup. But he said Dallas adjusted quickly by inserting a sixth defensive back.

“We were hoping they would give us some free access,’’ Schottenheimer said. “…. They came up and went dime to play J.D. and ended up covering us up.’’

Wilson’s pass to McKissic went incomplete, the first of those pesky third downs that Seattle couldn’t convert.

Postby auroraave on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:34 am

Seattle went three and out in six out of 12 possessions. That'll cripple any team.
Seattle failed to make any real adjustments on offense.
Special teams was a liability.
That put all the pressure on the very young defense to win the game for them.
Recipe for defeat right there.
Credit Dallas for making the plays Seattle couldn't.

Postby Michael K 2 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:39 pm

ThePro wrote:Ummmm I'm gonna have to disagree with the problem with the scheme analysis. That offense put up some pretty impressive stats for there to be a problem schematically out of nowhere for one game.

At what point do you give credit to the opponent? Looks like a young assistant that is familiar with Hawks wanted to stick it to his old boss for firing him if you ask me and he did..

I agree, but the fact that we are a good running team and a piss poor intermediate passing team makes no sense. If you run the ball well you should be in third and short often. The fact that we often have to resort to chucking it deep in those situations because we don't trust our ability to get open five or so yards down field seems counter productive, to me.

auroraave wrote:Seattle went three and out in six out of 12 possessions. That'll cripple any team.
Seattle failed to make any real adjustments on offense.
Special teams was a liability.
That put all the pressure on the very young defense to win the game for them.
Recipe for defeat right there.
Credit Dallas for making the plays Seattle couldn't.

Yep, and an intermediate passing game converts some of those third downs. The effect a three and out has is amazing if you ask me. You screw yourself in field position, you over work your defense, and you often times end up falling behind early because of it.

If there was ONE single thing we could fix that probably would have greatly improved the offense the past three of four years it would be limiting the three and outs. Even gaining a first down or two, flipping the field before punting, would have been a huge improvement.

Postby HawkBowler on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:44 pm

oldgoat33 wrote:
D-Trains wrote:What do amoebas armadillos and polliwogs have in common? They all adapt to survive. What do Pete Carroll and Chris Peterson's offenses have in common? They both don't adapt and die.

EXCELLENT ANALOGY !

Ha! And it comes down to biology.

Postby HawkBowler on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:51 pm

ThePro wrote:Ummmm I'm gonna have to disagree with the problem with the scheme analysis. That offense put up some pretty impressive stats for there to be a problem schematically out of nowhere for one game.

At what point do you give credit to the opponent? Looks like a young assistant that is familiar with Hawks wanted to stick it to his old boss for firing him if you ask me and he did..

Bingo! We shouldn't over look the Kris Richard effect. He's adept at going against Wilson in practice. In fact, the Cowboys had the best counter-mind they could have hoped for.

Postby Hindemith on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:55 am

+

Postby oldgoat33 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:25 am

auroraave wrote:Firing Shotty isn't the answer, IMO. I am on board with him - but he needs to use more pages in the playbook, be more creative and much less predictable - all are hideous traits of a Carroll offense. I think Shotty is capable of much more, I just can't figure out what he is waiting for, as far as opening up the offense. If 50% three and out ratio doesn't tell you you need to change things up, what is going to? Also, hats off to Richard for having his defense read for everything. I;m still baffled how Shotty and Carroll didn't see this coming.

Hold on.......Carroll is aging. I know that I'm in a no win situation by being critical of the head coach, but that is where the losses lie. He is just to locked into who he is to be able to change. And I doubt that ownership is interested enough to care. But.......still change is inevitable.

Postby Don Gorgon on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:12 am

oldgoat33 wrote:
auroraave wrote:Firing Shotty isn't the answer, IMO. I am on board with him - but he needs to use more pages in the playbook, be more creative and much less predictable - all are hideous traits of a Carroll offense. I think Shotty is capable of much more, I just can't figure out what he is waiting for, as far as opening up the offense. If 50% three and out ratio doesn't tell you you need to change things up, what is going to? Also, hats off to Richard for having his defense read for everything. I;m still baffled how Shotty and Carroll didn't see this coming.

Hold on.......Carroll is aging. I know that I'm in a no win situation by being critical of the head coach, but that is where the losses lie. He is just to locked into who he is to be able to change. And I doubt that ownership is interested enough to care. But.......still change is inevitable.

ohhhhhh....PC to tell him to open up the offense?...

Postby felix1seid on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:08 am

HP Computer Support
HP Laptop Support
HP Printer Customer Service
HP Printer Drivers
HP Printer Helpline
HP Printer Atlanta
HP Printer Baltimore MD
HP Printer Berkeley CA
HP Printer Boston
HP Printer Chicago