Advertising

Re: Postmortem - Wildcard Edition: Seahawks v Cowboys

Postby Don Gorgon on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:12 am

sure, time to fire the OC

Postby John Cloggart on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:38 am

Firing the DC last year isn't looking very smart right now. He definitely won the battle vs "Shotty" yesterday.

Postby Michael K 2 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:47 am

I do agree that the passing game needs to evolve. I have been pounding my fists at our refusal to go back to the uptempo quick passing game that set all those records a few years ago, and I have often complained about our complete lack of an intermediate passing attack. We have to lead the league on deep fade throws on third and short!

But, how many passing offenses do we think would have been effective with their top two pass catchers basically being smallish slot receivers, their best pass catching TE being a blocker that was injured early in the year, and Jaron Brown and David Moore as the other options!?

The second highest scoring offense in franchise history and we have fans wanting to axe the guy that ran it?

Postby auroraave on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:58 am

Firing Shotty isn't the answer, IMO. I am on board with him - but he needs to use more pages in the playbook, be more creative and much less predictable - all are hideous traits of a Carroll offense. I think Shotty is capable of much more, I just can't figure out what he is waiting for, as far as opening up the offense. If 50% three and out ratio doesn't tell you you need to change things up, what is going to? Also, hats off to Richard for having his defense read for everything. I;m still baffled how Shotty and Carroll didn't see this coming.

Postby Michael K 2 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:04 pm

The two young Cowboy LBs deserve a lot of credit for blowing up our run game, but I agree with the need to improve the pass game and be less predictable. But I really think hat is just as much about a WR doe with limited talent as it is about play calling. Of course, I don't know if the talent the end of 2015 was and better. For some reason Pete seems to believe that stand and throw it deep pass offense is better than the quick passing attack that broke all the those records.

Postby VOR on Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:55 pm

Most fans watching that game would say "they needed to throw the ball"

Pete watches that game and says 'We need to run the ball better"

To me it was 2 things, Dallas played better defense, and Dallas has a vastly superior running back.

Postby Michael K 2 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:26 pm

Trent Dilfer was just on ESPN radio and talked about how Seattle couldn't protect Russell, and they knew it. That is why they "stubbornly stuck with the ran, especially in the 2nd and 3rd quarter."

The funny thing is, everyone is bashing Schotty for not running it, and according to Clayton this morning they ran it once in the 4th quarter! I feel I had to have miss heard that though. I wonder if he meant in the last two or three drives of the 4th quarter?

Postby D-Trains on Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:34 pm

Michael K 2 wrote:Trent Dilfer was just on ESPN radio and talked about how Seattle couldn't protect Russell, and they knew it. That is why they "stubbornly stuck with the ran, especially in the 2nd and 3rd quarter."

The funny thing is, everyone is bashing Schotty for not running it, and according to Clayton this morning they ran it once in the 4th quarter! I feel I had to have miss heard that though. I wonder if he meant in the last two or three drives of the 4th quarter?

Nope, once in the 4Q as this shows.

https://twitter.com/luke_arkins/status/ ... 7854414848

I agree that the low % long fade routes on third and short are by far the bigger crime than no giving up on the run earlier.

dt

Postby Michael K 2 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:13 pm

I said it earlier, but we went pass happy the first two weeks of the season. How did that work out?

Develop a quick passing attack, and not one that asks the QB to pat the ball for an eternity then run around in circles until the scramble play opens someone up.
Get a big receiver. David Moore was a fun little experiment while it lasted, but sometimes guys are fifth round picks for a reason.
If Fant is going to be our TE, turn him into a TE. Otherwise, IMO, his presence on the field is merely an announcement that we are running the ball.

This offense was the second highest scoring offense in Franchise History, so a complete change in philosophy makes little sense to me. Give Schotty a few weapons in the passing game, figure out how to run an intermediate passing attack and build off what we just did! IMO this team is easily a year or more ahead of where anyone not named Hawkbowler imagined.

Postby HawkBowler on Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:51 am

The Cowboys held the Saints to 10 points earlier this season. Gurley is banged up and hasn't played for several weeks. I like the Cowboys to go into LA, where half the crowd will be wearing blue and silver, and come up with the win.

PreviousNext

Return to Seahawks