Advertising

So who are we gonna draft?

Postby BroadcastingHusky on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:14 am

Odd's are we're gonna trade out of the 21st pick down to somewhere in the late first or early second to acquire a late second rounder.

Lets say we trade with KC, NE, or Indy (all have multiple 2nd round picks and draft in the late first... Indy has an early 2nd and a late 2nd). So that's pick 29, 32 or 34. Then if we acquire a 2nd rounder in return... we're likely looking at picks 61 or 63 from the Chiefs, 56 or 64 from the Patriots or 59 from the Colts.

The Hawks should be looking primarily at DT, DE with our first 2 picks, in my opinion.

I like Poona Ford and JReed. However we need a true run plug on the inside...

DT's that might be available:

Gerald Willis III, DT, Miami
Height: 6-4. Weight: 285.
Projected 40 Time: 5.40.
Projected Round (2019): 2-3.
1/14/19: Willis broke out for Miami in 2018, and multiple team sources said he impressed them. Willis was very consistent week in and week out for the Hurricanes, and that earned him an invitation to the Senior Bowl. On the year, Willis totaled 59 tackles with 18 tackles for a loss, four sacks and two passes batted.

Willis comes with off-the-field concerns. He started out his career at Florida before transferring to Miami. He took a leave of absence from the team in 2017 and had suspensions during the 2016 season. Willis is the younger brother of New York Giants safety Landon Collins.

Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame
Height: 6-6. Weight: 304.
Projected 40 Time: 4.80.
Projected Round (2019): 1-2.
1/14/19: Tillery was phenomenal to open the season and dominated Michigan to help Notre Dame to a seven-point win. For 2018, Tillery totaled 30 tackles with eight sacks, 10.5 tackles for a loss and three forced fumbles. He spent the year playing like a first- or second-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

8/29/18: According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Tillery checks in at 6-foot-6, 304 pounds with 33.63-inch arms, 10.63-inch hands, and a wingspan of 82 inches. They have him running a fast 40-yard dash at 4.80 seconds.

Over the past few years, Tillery has played well for Notre Dame and has been active at the point of attack. For 2017, he totaled 47 tackles with nine for a loss, 4.5 sacks and a forced fumble. Tillery had 37 tackles with three tackles for a loss in 2016. The sophomore played better than the numbers illustrate and caused some havoc in the backfield. Tillery has a good skill set to develop and is capable of compiling more production.

Dexter Lawrence*, NT, Clemson
Height: 6-4. Weight: 350.
Projected 40 Time: 5.00.
1/14/19: Lawrence notched 37 tackles with 7.5 for a loss, 1.5 sacks and three passes broken up in 2018. In the pass rush, he created some pressure and caused some disruption. Some team sources are disappointed in Lawrence and question why he never got back to being the player he was as a freshman.

8/29/18: According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Lawrence checks in at 6-foot-4, 350 pounds with 35.13-inch arms, 10.25-inch hands, and a wingspan of 85 inches. They him running the 40-yard dash at 5.00 seconds.

Lawrence totaled 34 tackles with 2.5 sacks in 2017. While he wasn't as good as he was in 2016, and his production reflected that, he helped create a lot of sacks for those around him. Some team sources wonder if Lawrence was playing injured as a sophomore.

Lawrence was a tremendous freshman to help Clemson win the National Championship. NFL sources raved about Lawrence in the 2017 season, because he was impossible to ignore in 2016. Lawrence was an All-Freshman selection all over the nation while being the ACC Rookie of the Year for that season. He totaled 63 tackles with 9.5 tackles for a loss, seven sacks and a pass batted as a freshman. One national scout for a NFC team told me that they thought Lawrence was among the two most disruptive defensive linemen in 2016, along with Alabama's Jonathan Allen.

With other good talent around Lawrence and his experience, he could dominate as a junior.

We desperately missed having another pass rusher opposite of Frank last year... I think we still have faith in Rasheem Green to be solid... but he's more of a hybrid. I think we'd be hard pressed to not pick one with our first or second round picks.

DE's that might be available that fit our typical rush profile:

Montez Sweat, OLB/DE, Mississippi State
Height: 6-6. Weight: 241.
Projected 40 Time: 4.60.
1/14/19: Sweat totaled 53 tackles, 14 for a loss, 11.5 sacks and one forced fumble in 2018. He was a dynamic pass-rusher over the course of the season. He dominated Auburn with a three-sack performance in the second half of the year. He was also dominant against Florida left tackle Martez Ivey and was excellent against Kansas State. Sweat had a solid game against Alabama.

8/29/18: According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Sweat checks in at 6-foot-6, 241 pounds with 35.5-inch arms, 10.13-inch hands, and a wingspan of 85.75 inches. They have him running the 40-yard dash in 4.60 seconds.

Sweat debuted for the Bulldogs with an excellent 2017 season as a dynamic edge defender. He totaled an SEC-leading 10.5 sacks, with 15.5 tackles for a loss and 48 tackles for the year. To start out his collegiate career, Sweat played at Michigan State before some disciplinary issues led to him leaving for the junior college ranks at Co-Lin Community College. Sweat could add weight to become a defensive end, stay as an outside linebacker, or be a 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL.

Sweat is a dangerous pass-rusher who shows good instincts and natural feel as an edge rusher. He has good play recognition and uses his instincts to get in the right position to affect the quarterback or disrupt plays. For a tall defender, Sweat has a nice ability to redirect, and he uses that to get after the quarterback or defend the perimeter. As a pure pass-rusher, Sweat is quick off the edge with the speed to turn the corner and run around offensive tackles. One of his most impressive traits is his active hands to fight off blocks while using his feet at the same time. Sweat has some functional strength that he uses to get off blocks and shows impressive hand placement to get under the pads of blockers or rip them away from him. Sweat's excellent length helps him to do that and also makes it harder for offensive tackles to get into his chest. Once he gets free, Sweat has burst to close on the quarterback.

Brian Burns*, OLB/DE, Florida State
Height: 6-5. Weight: 218.
Projected 40 Time: 4.72.
1/14/19: Some sources say that Burns should return to Florida State in order to get stronger for the NFL. He recorded 52 tackles with 15.5 tackles with a loss, 10 sacks, three forced fumbles and three passes batted in 2018.

There were projections by some in the draft media of Florida State defensive end Brian Burns being a top-10 pick in the 2019 NFL Draft. To see if Burns could have that potential, WalterFootball.com surveyed a handful of team sources who have graded Burns and none of those teams have Burns as a high first-round pick. In fact, they all had graded Burns on the second day. One area scout said they had given Burns a late second-/early third-round grade. They said there was no way they could take Burns in Round 1. The most optimistic view came from a national scout who said they could maybe see Burns sneaking into the very end of the first round. Here is what they texted about Burns, "Great athlete. No chance at the top 10. Possible late first-round pick, but much closer to Day 2."

A national scout from a perennial Super Bowl contender texted this, "[Burns is] not going top 10. That's ridiculous." In speaking to a director of college scouting, they said they also had Burns as a second-round pick and thought he could get overhyped by the media because of his athletic traits and upside. Some of those scouts also graded other speed edge rushers in the same regional territory with Florida's Jachai Polite and Mississippi State's Montez Sweat. They said that they had Burns graded behind both Polite and Sweat.

8/29/18: In 2017, Burns had 48 tackles with 13.5 for a loss, 4.5 sacks and four passes batted. He put more pressure on the quarterback than the numbers indicate. Burns notched 9.5 sacks in his debut season for Florida State and finished 2016 in impressive fashion. Scouts have said that Burns has a ton of athletic ability and upside. He should gain weight as he ages and fill out to being a starting edge defender.

Chase Winovich, OLB/DE, Michigan
Height: 6-2. Weight: 258.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
1/14/19: In 2018, Winovich totaled 68 tackles with 17 for a loss, five sacks and a pass batted. He dominated Notre Dame to open the season. All night, Winovich showed serious speed off the edge with the athleticism to dip underneath blockers and the strength to fight off the hands of blockers. Winovich is able to use his hands and feet at the same time while seeing the field well. With his non-stop motor, Winovich pursues plays all over the field. His physical look and style of play resembles Packers linebacker Clay Matthews. Sources are projecting Winovich to the second day of the 2019 NFL Draft.

8/29/18: According to NFL teams' preseason data provided by team sources, Winovich checks in at 6-foot-2, 258 pounds with 31.88-inch arms, 10-inch hands, and a wingspan of 78.63 inches. They him running the 40-yard dash in 4.70 seconds.

Winovich was a gritty defender who was always around the ball for the Wolverines in 2017. He had an excellent season, totaling 79 tackles with 18 tackles for a loss, eight sacks and two forced fumbles. He had five sacks in the previous season. Given his length and weight issues, Winovich might be better off moving to 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL.

Jalen Jelks, OLB/DE, Oregon
Height: 6-5. Weight: 244.
Projected 40 Time: 4.80.
Projected Round (2019): 2-4.
1/14/19: Jelks totaled 57 tackles with 7.5 for a loss, 3.5 sacks, one forced fumble and one pass batted in 2018. He was solid for Oregon, although not overly impressive.

8/29/18: According to NFL team preseason data, Jelks checks in at 6-foot-5, 244 pounds and runs the 40-yard dash in 4.80 seconds. They have him with 33.75-inch arms, 9-inch hands, and an 81.63-inch wingspan. Jelks had a breakout redshirt junior season in which he recorded 59 tackles with 15 tackles for a loss, 6.5 sacks and seven passes batted. Jelks had totaled 40 tackles and five sacks over his previous two seasons as a backup for Oregon.

In the pass rush, Jelks is quick off the edge and shows nice vision with instincts to adjust to the offense. He has the speed to close and can run around blockers. Jelks flashes some ability to bend his long frame, and that make him harder to block. Oregon rushed Jelks from the inside over guards far too often, and his natural home is rushing off the edge. He's a terrible misfit at defensive tackle. Lining him up on the inside suppressed Jelks sack potential, and he could produce more if he's given the opportunity to go against offensive tackles.

As a run defender, Jelks is a good pursuit player and flows well to the ball. He reads his keys well and is able to get in good position to get in on tackles. For the NFL, Jelks is going to need to add more weight to his frame. He is lean and could have issues with downhills runs coming straight at him. He also gets into trouble in the ground game and pass rush when he stands up too high. For a pro defense, Jelks probably would fit best as a 3-4 outside linebacker.

Re: So who are we gonna draft?

Postby HawkBowler on Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:55 pm

Husky, why are you going with all DL? I think our interior looks great right now with Naz, Reed and Jefferson. Frank Clark is turning into a premier edge rusher (13 sacks). The other side of the line looks iffy, but even there we have some prospects like Raheem Green, Jacob Martin and Dion Jordan.

We could use an LB to compliment Wags and KJ.

Our corners are solid with Shaq and Flowers, and even deep with Coleman and Thorpe.

Our main weakness on D is at safety. McDougal, Thompson, Hill all did a good job of filling in, but these guys have journeyman careers in the NFL at best. They're not ET and Kam. The Hawks must go for a safety at the top of the draft, just like Pete did in his very first draft with the Hawks.

Postby ddraig on Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:05 pm

Sweat is my pick. Besides, how can you pass up a football player with the name of Sweat?

Postby sandiron on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:29 pm

They might find a free agent to fill the "run-stopper" need. They often cost less;than a pass rusher. I do agree; the role is needed.The decision depends on the Sweezey, Fluker situation. If one,or both leave;O-line becomes a major need,

Postby lamda on Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:25 am

I agree with drafting on the D-line - we gotta make that better. We barely got any pass rush last season. I’d go super heavy on D this draft.

Postby ThePro on Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:33 am

lamda wrote:I agree with drafting on the D-line - we gotta make that better. We barely got any pass rush last season. I’d go super heavy on D this draft.

Huh? 43 sacks last year. 13 and 10 lfrom. the outside and inside respectively. They could use another end or DT though.

Postby ThePro on Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:35 am

You can't get any better than plugging the run then Poona Ford. He's a force in there.

Postby BroadcastingHusky on Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:14 am

Here's the thing... I know we need a safety and/or corner (I am not a fan of Shaq Griffin)... but this particular draft is so freaking loaded with interior D talent that you can get a top interior defender in the 2nd round who has 1st round talent. All of those guys I mentioned are 1st rounders in other drafts. There's just tremendous value there. Games we lost were games that we couldn't control the LOS and stop the run. It is a need, and for a team that typically drafts the "most talented" player available... these DT's would be just that if they fall where we pick.

As for safety... I don't know. I think Carroll and staff like McDougald and Thompson... I think they'd like to give these guys another year to see if they make the next step. The talent is there. A lot of drafts have Taylor Rapp falling to the late 2nd early third... I wouldn't be opposed to taking him if we trade back in the first and acquire a pick late in the 2nd.

I think we've learned our lesson drafting offensive lineman high... Carroll is going to continue to sign and rotate in cheap, veteran talent to put around Brown and Britt.

Defensive end is an obvious need. Yes, we ended up with an OK number of sacks... but how about pressure %? I seem to remember opposing QB's having a year to throw the ball on a better % of plays than we'd like to have. We finished only 16th in the league in QB hits. I'd love to see us get a "freak" in there that truly impacts the game by simply disrupting timing a good majority of the time. Also... how about the impact a sack has? We finished 17, 21 and 19 in the league... in negative yards created from rushing from the left, middle, and right of the line... we need a true sack artist who can get it behind the LOS done and put O's in a bind. These "sacks' where the QB is allowed to retreat north and ends up sacked for a 1 yard loss vs a 10 yard loss makes the sack number deceptive.

D is where we should be drafting the majority of our players... we don't really have a need much elsewhere. I think we're set at WR... set at TE w/ Dissly getting healthy, Vannett and Dickson. RB room is obviously stacked. Maybe draft an interior lineman later in the draft on O and a undervalued WR, but that's it.

DT, DE, Safety and Corner are probably our priorities at the moment, in order imo.

Postby ThePro on Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:21 am

BroadcastingHusky wrote:Here's the thing... I know we need a safety and/or corner (I am not a fan of Shaq Griffin)... but this particular draft is so freaking loaded with interior D talent that you can get a top interior defender in the 2nd round who has 1st round talent. All of those guys I mentioned are 1st rounders in other drafts. There's just tremendous value there. Games we lost were games that we couldn't control the LOS and stop the run. It is a need, and for a team that typically drafts the "most talented" player available... these DT's would be just that if they fall where we pick.

As for safety... I don't know. I think Carroll and staff like McDougald and Thompson... I think they'd like to give these guys another year to see if they make the next step. The talent is there. A lot of drafts have Taylor Rapp falling to the late 2nd early third... I wouldn't be opposed to taking him if we trade back in the first and acquire a pick late in the 2nd.

I think we've learned our lesson drafting offensive lineman high... Carroll is going to continue to sign and rotate in cheap, veteran talent to put around Brown and Britt.

Defensive end is an obvious need. Yes, we ended up with an OK number of sacks... but how about pressure %? I seem to remember opposing QB's having a year to throw the ball on a better % of plays than we'd like to have. We finished only 16th in the league in QB hits. I'd love to see us get a "freak" in there that truly impacts the game by simply disrupting timing a good majority of the time. Also... how about the impact a sack has? We finished 17, 21 and 19 in the league... in negative yards created from rushing from the left, middle, and right of the line... we need a true sack artist who can get it behind the LOS done and put O's in a bind. These "sacks' where the QB is allowed to retreat north and ends up sacked for a 1 yard loss vs a 10 yard loss makes the sack number deceptive.

D is where we should be drafting the majority of our players... we don't really have a need much elsewhere. I think we're set at WR... set at TE w/ Dissly getting healthy, Vannett and Dickson. RB room is obviously stacked. Maybe draft an interior lineman later in the draft on O and a undervalued WR, but that's it.

DT, DE, Safety and Corner are probably our priorities at the moment, in order imo.

Might need a corner if Coleman leaves other than that Griffin isn't going anywhere. Good player. Flowers is even better. I agree we are set at WR just need another year together. Excited for the return of Dissly. Dude looks like a player.Dline and Safety look like the way to go.

Postby D-Trains on Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:08 am

Picking up 3rd and 4-8 yards seemed to take an act of God this season. I think we could use a #1 WR.

dt

Next

Return to Seahawks