Advertising

Re: OT-Mike Hopkins is Romar's replacement as Head Coach

Postby Hindemith on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:27 am

lamda wrote:Couldn't give a crap about husky basketball. This is the M's forum, fusky bball has their own forum. Discuss there please.

Ol' Tippy took'em to an Elite 8 and Final 4 and also had a better winning percentage during his 9 seasons. Like Romar, most of his success happened early during his tenure as head coach, but he did lead the Huskies to an 18-8 record his final year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washingto ... basketball

Postby Don Gorgon on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:26 am

off the top of my head I would have probably said Marv Harshman, he seemed the most beloved

Postby Auburn Terry on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:36 pm

A good choice for Husky basketball.

Postby Bil522 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:37 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:Boeheim gets an extension, he didn't want to retire, Hopkins was in a tough situation there, he must feel relieved to get out, that is if him and Boeheim are buddies which I assume is the case, didn't realize it was actually in his contract he was to take over, that seems kind of wild

"Mike accepting the position at Washington has put us in a unique position," Syracuse athletic director John Wildhack said in a statement released by the school. "The circumstances are different now than they were when he was named head-coach-in-waiting."

It was previously announced that Boeheim would coach through the 2017-18 season, but he had been noncommittal about it this past year. Syracuse did not announce the length of his extension.

One of the reasons Hopkins left, sources told ESPN, was to relieve Boeheim of the pressure of having to retire. Hopkins had a contract that stated he was set to take over after the 2017-18 season.

"Mike received a great opportunity, and we thank him and wish him the best," Boeheim said in the statement. "I'm happy to stay on to help the program and to continue the staff's devotion to success."

The Hawks had Jim Mora as the coach in waiting and that was not awkward was it?

Postby Don Gorgon on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:47 pm

I have no idea, the point was Hopkins was the coach in waiting but Boeheim seems to have changed is mind about retiring so I would call that awkward

Postby AZ Old Dawg on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:28 pm

I made my living as a basketball coach and I can't get a good feel for this one. I think we will have to let it play out and see. I'm guessing Hopkins is a 2-3 match up zone coach which will be quite a change.

Postby Captain 97 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:50 pm

It certainly is unusual from the standpoint of the hiring being a someone without any head coaching experience. How often do you see that happen in the Pac 12? Even Oregon State managed to snag the head coach from a Big 10 School.

Postby Don Gorgon on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:02 pm

that seemed to be Calkins issue with it, though on the other hand he pointed out...

Tom Crean coached under Tom Izzo at Michigan State for four years before leading Marquette to five tournament appearances and a Final Four. Quin Snyder spent six years under Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski before leading Missouri to four straight tournaments. And, of course, former Dean Smith disciple Roy Williams went to four Final Fours at Kansas after leaving North Carolina.

Postby rockycola on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:12 pm

Just posted something (new topic) over on the Husky basketball forum..............................100+ points, perhaps????? :wink:

Previous

Return to Mariners