Advertising

Pretty intriguing quote from Servais

Postby D-Trains on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:56 pm

First baseman Daniel Vogelbach is struggling right now. He went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts. He’s now hitting .226 (12-for-53) with a .305 on-base percentage, .321 slugging percentage, two doubles, a homer and five RBI. Perhaps more alarming is the 18 strikeouts and six walks.

“That’s high, there’s no doubt,” manager Scott Servais said of the strikeouts. “He’s a young player trying to make a team.”

:shock:

Re: Pretty intriguing quote from Servais

Postby Don Gorgon on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:06 pm

he is not a lock...I think he is saying there they still are not concerned about his hitting

this is today's Tribune...

The Mariners had an open date Monday before starting their final spring push toward opening day. Let’s take another look at those seven questions:

***Can rookie Dan Vogelbach handle regular duty as the left-handed portion of a platoon set-up at first base with veteran Danny Valencia?

Vogelbach arrived sporting a redistributed physique and improved range at first base. That was a crucial first step and underscored his commitment to become a better defensive player.

Club officials have always believed Vogelbach can hit, although he’s currently in a spring slump. But his roster chances hinge on proving he isn’t a defensive liability at first base.

Results are encouraging but not yet definitive. For example, he still has difficulty in scooping throws.

"He’s working his tail off," manager Scott Servais said. "There are things he’s gotten better at. There are still things he needs to work on."

Opening line: A slight edge to Vogelbach making the club — in large part because that the club’s preference. He’ll be watched closely.

Updated line: Vogelbach’s odds have probably improved, but he’ll be watched closely over the next week-plus, particularly since the Mariners will have their regular defense back in place. A defensive regression could cost him a job.

Postby D-Trains on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:10 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:he is not a lock...I think he is saying there they still are not concerned about his hitting

this is today's Tribune...

The Mariners had an open date Monday before starting their final spring push toward opening day. Let’s take another look at those seven questions:

***Can rookie Dan Vogelbach handle regular duty as the left-handed portion of a platoon set-up at first base with veteran Danny Valencia?

Vogelbach arrived sporting a redistributed physique and improved range at first base. That was a crucial first step and underscored his commitment to become a better defensive player.

Club officials have always believed Vogelbach can hit, although he’s currently in a spring slump. But his roster chances hinge on proving he isn’t a defensive liability at first base.

Results are encouraging but not yet definitive. For example, he still has difficulty in scooping throws.

"He’s working his tail off," manager Scott Servais said. "There are things he’s gotten better at. There are still things he needs to work on."

Opening line: A slight edge to Vogelbach making the club — in large part because that the club’s preference. He’ll be watched closely.

Updated line: Vogelbach’s odds have probably improved, but he’ll be watched closely over the next week-plus, particularly since the Mariners will have their regular defense back in place. A defensive regression could cost him a job.

The quote I posted leads me to believe he is concerned about all those Ks.

dt

Postby Don Gorgon on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:32 pm

sounds to me like he is saying you have to be patient with a young player, he is tight, he needs to relax and not worry so much. It sort of depends on what else he had to say really.

Postby maoling on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:43 pm

D-Trains wrote:
First baseman Daniel Vogelbach is struggling right now. He went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts. He’s now hitting .226 (12-for-53) with a .305 on-base percentage, .321 slugging percentage, two doubles, a homer and five RBI. Perhaps more alarming is the 18 strikeouts and six walks.

“That’s high, there’s no doubt,” manager Scott Servais said of the strikeouts. “He’s a young player trying to make a team.”

:shock:

Is there any merit in saying that if the guy isn't carrying the freight in ST and there is a better option to go with on the OD roster, he's a Bubble Boy?

Postby D-Trains on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:31 pm

Divish says he would be surprised if he doesn't make the team.

dt

Postby Don Gorgon on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:41 pm

I would be too, I think Dipoto has a lot more credibility riding on VG making the team than he does on the Smyly trade, they have to pretty much write off whatever happens in spring training to nerves or whatever, that is how I interpret that quote, patience. You know, the patience thing

Postby D-Trains on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:42 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:I would be too, I think Dipoto has a lot more credibility riding on VG making the team than he does on the Smyly trade, they have to pretty much write off whatever happens in spring training to nerves or whatever, that is how I interpret that quote, patience. You know, the patience thing

Yeah, I now see what you mean.

dt

Postby D-Trains on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:47 pm

Haniger is 2 years older but they both were in the same boat coming into camp. Haniger seems like a seasoned pro and VB seems like some oversized kid that somehow went threw the wrong gate and stumbled onto a major league field. lol

dt

Postby 2017WSorBustGoMs on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:21 pm

D-Trains wrote:Haniger is 2 years older but they both were in the same boat coming into camp. Haniger seems like a seasoned pro and VB seems like some oversized kid that somehow went threw the wrong gate and stumbled onto a major league field. lol

dt

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hard to tell what they're going to do. A good eye at the plate and a decent OBP were supposed to be the kid's ticket to the bigs. That was supposed to carry him past the lack of athleticism and poor defensive skill set. Add to that his mental errors in the field and I think they have to be seriously considering having him start off in Tacoma. If not, he'll have a pretty short leash I would think.

Next

Return to Mariners