Advertising

Re: Top Cuban prospect Luis Robert

Postby rockycola on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:37 pm

WARwhatisitgoodfor wrote:
rockycola wrote:
WARwhatisitgoodfor wrote:As usual the M's won't even be mentioned for any international free agents that are ranked in the Top 15.

We'll hear we signed somebody and then see he was the #18 ranked IFA. Ooo, exciting.

Always seems that way. We did sign Heredia last March and he appears to be working out. He was 25 when we signed him. Robert is just 19 so unless he's a Griffey, Jr., he in the minors for 4-5 years.

Does Heredia seem to be working out? I wouldn't know, we rarely see him.

Certainly would like to see more off him before bench rot sets in.

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:39 pm

well if they do they are keeping it to themselves I guess, I would guess of the top of my head they are not interested in gambling that kind of dough on a prospect, after this there will be no more big money Cuban players, that could be when they get more active

The White Sox, Astros, Padres, Reds and Cardinals are the teams with the most interest in highly touted outfield prospect Luis Robert, reports Rosenthal. If he’s cleared to sign by June 15, the 19-year-old will go down as the last Cuban amateur to sign for big money – should the new collective bargaining agreement rules remain in place for a while, that is. Ben Badler of Baseball America has reported on multiple occasions that the White Sox are the favorites to land Robert. Unlike the ChiSox, all of the Astros, Padres, Cardinals and Reds have already exceeded their 2016-17 international bonus pools.

Postby rockycola on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:well if they do they are keeping it to themselves I guess, I would guess of the top of my head they are not interested in gambling that kind of dough on a prospect, after this there will be no more big money Cuban players, that could be when they get more active

The White Sox, Astros, Padres, Reds and Cardinals are the teams with the most interest in highly touted outfield prospect Luis Robert, reports Rosenthal. If he’s cleared to sign by June 15, the 19-year-old will go down as the last Cuban amateur to sign for big money – should the new collective bargaining agreement rules remain in place for a while, that is. Ben Badler of Baseball America has reported on multiple occasions that the White Sox are the favorites to land Robert. Unlike the ChiSox, all of the Astros, Padres, Cardinals and Reds have already exceeded their 2016-17 international bonus pools.

How much do the M's have right now in Int. Bonus Pool money?
Didn't they just trade somebody for some?
Yes, here it is:
APRIL 14, 2017 4:08 PM
Mariners trade LHP Paul Fry to Orioles for international bonus pool money
BY BOB DUTTON bdutton@thenewstribune.com

The Mariners traded lefty reliever Paul Fry to Baltimore on Friday for $198,000 in international signing money for the period that runs through July 1.

The move came three days after Fry, 24, was designated for assignment to create space for infielder Mike Freeman on the 40-man roster. Freeman was then recalled from Tacoma to replace injured Jean Segura on the 25-man active roster.

Fry allowed four runs and six hits over two innings in his only appearance this season Tacoma. He compiled a 2.76 ERA in 150 minor-league outings over four previous seasons following his selection in the 17th round of the 2013 MLB Draft.

Gaining Baltimore’s slot value for pick No. 105 provides the Mariners with greater flexibility in the international market. Clubs that exceed their allotted pool money are subject to penalties, including a reduction in pool money in future years.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/ml ... rylink=cpy

Not sure how much they had before but this $198K must be used before July 1st ( :D :D :D my birthday for those of you getting me presents :D :D :D ). So, Dipoto, use it or lose it!!!

Postby SonsofHan on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:47 am

rockycola wrote:
Don Gorgon wrote:well if they do they are keeping it to themselves I guess, I would guess of the top of my head they are not interested in gambling that kind of dough on a prospect, after this there will be no more big money Cuban players, that could be when they get more active

How much do the M's have right now in Int. Bonus Pool money?
Didn't they just trade somebody for some?
Yes, here it is:
APRIL 14, 2017 4:08 PM
Mariners trade LHP Paul Fry to Orioles for international bonus pool money
BY BOB DUTTON bdutton@thenewstribune.com

The Mariners traded lefty reliever Paul Fry to Baltimore on Friday for $198,000 in international signing money for the period that runs through July 1.

The move came three days after Fry, 24, was designated for assignment to create space for infielder Mike Freeman on the 40-man roster. Freeman was then recalled from Tacoma to replace injured Jean Segura on the 25-man active roster.

Fry allowed four runs and six hits over two innings in his only appearance this season Tacoma. He compiled a 2.76 ERA in 150 minor-league outings over four previous seasons following his selection in the 17th round of the 2013 MLB Draft.

Gaining Baltimore’s slot value for pick No. 105 provides the Mariners with greater flexibility in the international market. Clubs that exceed their allotted pool money are subject to penalties, including a reduction in pool money in future years.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/ml ... rylink=cpy

Not sure how much they had before but this $198K must be used before July 1st ( :D :D :D my birthday for those of you getting me presents :D :D :D ). So, Dipoto, use it or lose it!!!

I remember that trade and the bonus money and was really pleased.

The M's sign one of the top couple IFAs and you add to your top 5 prospects.

I like the idea of adding top International high profile types for the purpose of snagging a deadline type Ace pitcher.

And I really liked Moncada, Darvish, and Cespedes if we could have added Darvish to what we got?

Postby Kenkokan on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:40 am

This would be a great move to bolster a farm system that will still be incredibly weak for the next couple of years. Only guess why Dipoto is holding off is that I get the impression that he hates spending large amounts of money on any single player. He'd rather pull off dozens of low end moves every offseason rather than take a plunge in the deep end of the spending pool for a potential superstar.

Previous

Return to Mariners