Advertising

Re: Big Pax Attack Game Thread 4/20/17

Postby Don Gorgon on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:06 am

would that be the reason why its probably a bit soon to be calling him an ace?

Postby Kenkokan on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:40 am

Don Gorgon wrote:would that be the reason why its probably a bit soon to be calling him an ace?

Even Felix had bad games like that in his prime. Besides, if Paxton isn't an ace, then the Mariners just flatout aren't going to have one for the next several years, given the state of the system. Though I do think he has the stuff to be one, provided he stays healthy.

Postby ice99 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:54 am

M's face a lefty tonight. Edgar needs to get them ready for this one.

Postby BaseHitDerby on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:15 pm

On this date: Perfection for Humber
On April 21, 2012, Philip Humber throws the 21st perfect game in major league history.

Memorable times

Postby BaseHitDerby on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:16 pm

ice99 wrote:M's face a lefty tonight. Edgar needs to get them ready for this one.

What about when they face a righty tomorrow?

Postby BaseHitDerby on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:18 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:would that be the reason why its probably a bit soon to be calling him an ace?

Don't you dare question his greatness.........

Postby Don Gorgon on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:45 pm

Kenkokan wrote:

Even Felix had bad games like that in his prime. Besides, if Paxton isn't an ace, then the Mariners just flatout aren't going to have one for the next several years, given the state of the system. Though I do think he has the stuff to be one, provided he stays healthy.

I wasn't questioning it, I was taking issue with annoying him one at this point. Personally, I have a different definition of ace it seems. To me an ace goes way past who gets the opening day start for a club, that its just a competition for a rotation. To me ace status are a handful of pitchers one feels confident with them starting the seventh game of the WS, or whenever you hand them the ball. Its not about stuff, a lot of it is experience. There are not 30 aces in the majors, the debate is how many there are, you can argue over who is in that club. And in my opinion, Paxton is a long way from it still

Postby BaseHitDerby on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:55 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:
Kenkokan wrote:

I wasn't questioning it, I was taking issue with annoying him one at this point. Personally, I have a different definition of ace it seems. To me an ace goes way past who gets the opening day start for a club, that its just a competition for a rotation. To me ace status are a handful of pitchers one feels confident with them starting the seventh game of the WS, or whenever you hand them the ball. Its not about stuff, a lot of it is experience. There are not 30 aces in the majors, the debate is how many there are, you can argue over who is in that club. And in my opinion, Paxton is a long way from it still

Lol I didn't include a /

He's far from being an ace at this point in his career. I mean, the guy hasn't even pitched 130 innings in a season yet. An ace is someone who has been good for at least a couple years. There's only around 15 SPs that I would call an ace.

Postby Moe Gibbs on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Look back through time at many of your "Aces" and you'll see they were doing good to win 6 out of 10 decisions.
Aces through the ages have always been able to "pad their stats" against weak teams and more or less break even against the best teams. Just about every year there are a few "Super Aces" that win 80% of their games but these are HOF Level seasons for most that ever pull this off once or twice.
For whatever reason, Paxton centered quite a few pitches last night and the A's were ready.
Part of what determines "Ace" status is how the guy answers back after a bad outing on his next starts.
The term is also relative. Paxton is the Ace of this staff until someone else steps up.

Postby Don Gorgon on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:09 pm

we could debate who is in that club, here is an article. One of his requirements is a team only gets one. I might debate that with my own definition but that's fine, it has to do with his list. Its a pretty good list but if say Darvish was to come back to be dominant then you're bumping Hamels?

Felix gets an honorable mention...

Felix Hernandez, RHP, Seattle Mariners

A year ago, Felix Hernandez would have been a no-brainer. The six-time All-Star and 2010 Cy Young Award winner slipped from his throne last season, however, posting his highest ERA (3.82) since 2007 and fewest innings pitched (153.1) since 2005. A solid spring hinted at a comeback, but it's worth wondering if the soon-to-be 31-year-old will ever be king again.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2701 ... ering-2017

PreviousNext

Return to Mariners