Advertising

Your current Seattle Mariner WAR leader

Postby D-Trains on Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:46 pm

Jarrod Dyson. Is he the MVP of the season so far. WAR says yes.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... =&players=

Re: Your current Seattle Mariner WAR leader

Postby D-Trains on Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:07 pm

White Signs.

11:42AM: White’s bonus is worth $3.125MM, MLB Trade Rumors’ Steve Adams reports (Twitter link). This saves the M’s $208.2K on their draft pool, money that could be made up to sign Carlson or another pick, or potentially a player selected outside of the first ten rounds.

11:12AM: The Mariners have announced the signing of 26 draft picks, including first-rounder Evan White. Financial terms weren’t announced, though the slot value for the 17th overall pick (White’s selection spot) is $3,333,200. White is represented by True Gravity.

White, 21, is a first baseman out of the University of Kentucky who was seen as a consensus top prospect in pre-draft rankings. Baseball America rated White as the 12th-best prospect available, with MLB.com (18th), Fangraphs’ Eric Longenhagen (19th) and ESPN’s Keith Law (33rd) also chiming in with strong grades. Despite these uniformly positive grades, there is some question about whether White has enough power to stick at the first base position, though he is seen as a good hitter overall. White gets high marks for his athleticism and could be used as an outfielder in the majors, though he has displayed outstanding defensive ability at first base.

Seattle has seemingly accomplished much of the heavy lifting within their draft signings, as 11 of their top 12 picks are already under contract. The only one of their early picks who has yet to reach an agreement is Sam Carlson, a high school righty taken in the second round (with the 55th overall pick). The Mariners had an overall draft pool of $6,737,300.

Postby seaspts_ on Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:16 pm

WAR puts too much emphasis on CF defense IMO

Postby Moe Gibbs on Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:41 pm

Only a True WAR Afficianado would make Dyson his first pick in an All Mariner Fantasy Draft...... 8)

Postby D-Trains on Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:05 pm

I love WAR but man, it is really hard to argue that Dyson is the MVP. He isn't even a full time player.

dt

Postby toomuchgarlicsalt on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:46 pm

seaspts_ wrote:WAR puts too much emphasis on CF defense IMO
It makes sense considering how Important CF is, and the ground you want/need them to cover.

Postby toomuchgarlicsalt on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:49 pm

D-Trains wrote:I love WAR but man, it is really hard to argue that Dyson is the MVP. He isn't even a full time player.

dt
Obviously he isnt hurting the team with his D as some of the others are. Bsr/D/low K rate and only played 2 less games than Cruz and more than Gamel, 3rd most games played on the team,5th for PA

Postby D-Trains on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:10 pm

toomuchgarlicsalt wrote:
D-Trains wrote:I love WAR but man, it is really hard to argue that Dyson is the MVP. He isn't even a full time player.

dt
Obviously he isnt hurting the team with his D as some of the others are. Bsr/D/low K rate and only played 2 less games than Cruz and more than Gamel, 3rd most games played on the team,5th for PA

K rate is not factored into WAR for position players.

dt

Postby Gabe_Athhouse on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:48 pm

Dyson's BsR is astounding. I'd be curious to hear the argument for him being our MVP. He's been sold, but I'm not seeing the logic.

Postby Millikin on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:34 am

In a high pressure situation, like 2 outs with scoring run on 3rd, late in the game - Dyson is a guy I like. I didn't think I would, but he seems to focus well in those moments.

I love when he's on base, I just wish he did it more often.

Next

Return to Mariners