Advertising

Re: Official Trade deadline thread

Postby WARwhatisitgoodfor on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:26 am

I would love to see somebody do a study of how often trade deadline deals actually help teams improve.

Pitchers, sure, I think they continue performing. But hitters.. 90% of the deadline deals I can remember have been failures.

One thing that has become apparent to me with trades and even free agent signings is that it's pretty rare for an offensive player to replicate his success for at least half a season.

Justin Upton, for example, beginning of his contract with the Tigers, horrible. But once he settled in, he's doing ok.

This is a big reason why I agree with what the Mariners have been saying. Trading to win this year has a good chance to not help us at all this year regardless. But to get players wirh multiple years of control, gives that player some time to acclimate before 2018 rolls around.

We could improve in LF, 1B and pitching..

Postby D-Trains on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:10 am

WARwhatisitgoodfor wrote:I would love to see somebody do a study of how often trade deadline deals actually help teams improve.

Pitchers, sure, I think they continue performing. But hitters.. 90% of the deadline deals I can remember have been failures.

One thing that has become apparent to me with trades and even free agent signings is that it's pretty rare for an offensive player to replicate his success for at least half a season.

Justin Upton, for example, beginning of his contract with the Tigers, horrible. But once he settled in, he's doing ok.

This is a big reason why I agree with what the Mariners have been saying. Trading to win this year has a good chance to not help us at all this year regardless. But to get players wirh multiple years of control, gives that player some time to acclimate before 2018 rolls around.

Improve over Gamel??? He has 1.7 WAR in 69 games which project to almost 4 WAR over a full season.

dt

Postby D-Trains on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:11 am

WARwhatisitgoodfor wrote:I would love to see somebody do a study of how often trade deadline deals actually help teams improve.

I agree about hitters needing time to acclimate especially if they switch leagues.

dt

Postby WARwhatisitgoodfor on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:07 am

D-Trains wrote:

Improve over Gamel??? He has 1.7 WAR in 69 games which project to almost 4 WAR over a full season.

dt

Yes, we could improve over Gamel. Especially if the move made him our CF or 4th OF.

I'm not counting on Dyson being around in 2018.

Postby D-Trains on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:09 am

With who? Your boy Dyson is also on track for almost 4 WAR.

dt

Postby MisterT on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:13 am

Deadline deals for Slocumb and Bedard helped Boston and Baltimore improve immensely.

Postby WARwhatisitgoodfor on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:17 am

D-Trains wrote:With who? Your boy Dyson is also on track for almost 4 WAR.

dt

Always said he would be awesome as a CF, especially not playing full time. It was acting like he could be the full time starting LF that didnt work.

And it didnt. Especially with Martin in CF, which I said was the problem from the beginning.

If Gamel doesn't come back to earth, sure, a mid .800s OPS obviously works in LF. I don't expect the guy to be among the league leaders going forward.

I also said the M's are so snake bitten that Haniger wouldn't be the same player when he came back from his oblique injury. Welp..

Also made the distinction that I don't expect Dyson to be back next year and I'm not focusing on improving for 2017.

Postby D-Trains on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:23 am

WARwhatisitgoodfor wrote:
D-Trains wrote:With who? Your boy Dyson is also on track for almost 4 WAR.

dt

Always said he would be awesome as a CF, especially not playing full time. It was acting like he could be the full time starting LF that didnt work.

And it didnt. Especially with Martin in CF, which I said was the problem from the beginning.

If Gamel doesn't come back to earth, sure, a mid .800s OPS obviously works in LF. I don't expect the guy to be among the league leaders going forward.

I also said the M's are so snake bitten that Haniger wouldn't be the same player when he came back from his oblique injury. Welp..

Also made the distinction that I don't expect Dyson to be back next year and I'm not focusing on improving for 2017.

All good points. Do you have a target in mind. So far we have been focused on pitching so I am not even sure who would be available. btw I would not be surprised if they are thinking about Martin again in CF next season since he has a .863 OPS in T town.

dt

Postby Hy Feiber on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:44 am

MisterT wrote:Deadline deals for Slocumb and Bedard helped Boston and Baltimore improve immensely.

Jones et al for Bedard was not a deadline deal.

Postby openup58 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:19 pm

Part of Seattle's problem is they do nothing to stop from in division rivals from making gains at trade deadline.
Reports are the favorite to land Sonny Gray is Houston! My question is if he is available, and we need SP help for the push for the playoffs, we should be in the middle of those talks to keep him from going to the Astro's and possibly get him our selves. I use to hate Oakland the most but now it's Houston. It makes me ill that they are even in contention when on paper we have a better team. So to me I hope we do everything possible to try and pry away a player like Cole or Gray before the ASStro's get any better in their biggest weakness, pitching!

USA Today's Bob Nightengale reports that the Astros are "still the favorites" for Sonny Gray.
Nightengale notes, however, that the Brewers "may be the most aggressive team" in trade talks involving Gray and the Royals have been "very aggressive," as well. Gray is a shoo-in to be dealt before the end of the month, whether it's to one of the aforementioned three clubs or somewhere else. He's under team control through 2019.

PreviousNext

Return to Mariners