Advertising

Re: Indians, sept 22, awards, Jordan Cowan

Postby Auburn Terry on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:31 pm

D-Trains wrote:Check out Bogar's track record. He is the guy everyone though JD would hire. Instead he goes with a guy with ZERO managerial experience.

Minor league managing career[edit]
Bogar has been named manager of the year in three different minor leagues.

He started his managerial career in 2004 with the Greeneville Astros of the Rookie-level Appalachian League. Greeneville finished with a 41–26 (.612) record and won the Appalachian League championship and Bogar was selected as manager of the year. He was promoted in 2005 to the Astros' low Class-A affiliate, the Lexington Legends of the South Atlantic League, where he led the Legends to a league best 82–57 mark and was named the 2005 SAL's top skipper.

He then switched to the Cleveland Indians' organization as pilot of the Akron Aeros, the Tribe's Double-A affiliate. In 2006, his first year with Akron, Bogar led the team to a league best 87–55 record and came within one game of winning the Eastern League title, captured that season by the Portland Sea Dogs. Bogar was named Eastern League manager of the year, and was selected to coach as part of Major League Baseball's 2006 All Star Futures Game. He was also selected by Baseball America as the "Best Manager Prospect" in the Eastern League in 2006. In 2007, Bogar's Aeros finished 80–61 and again made the final playoff round, losing to the Trenton Thunder, three games to one. He was also selected as a coach in the 2007 MLB All Star Futures Game in San Francisco.

After five seasons (2008–12) as a Major League coach, Bogar was hired to manage the Angels' Double-A affiliate, the Arkansas Travelers of the Texas League, on November 9, 2012.[5] He led the 2013 Travelers to a 73–66 overall record and the second-half championship of the loop's Northern Division. The Travelers reached the final round of the Texas League playoffs before bowing to the San Antonio Missions.

Bogar owns a five-year (2004–07; 2013) career minor-league managerial win-loss record of 362–266 (.576).

OK, I'm sold..... Let's have Bogar run this team next year and let Mitch Canham be his bench coach and Edgar the hitting coach. Meanwhile, looks like Francona is going to pick up some personal hardware this year. I'd love to have him manage the M's...

Postby D-Trains on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:34 pm

I thought you might like having a guy with not only managerial experience but a great track record.

dt

Postby ice99 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:18 pm

I like Cowan but It seems like Filia should have gotten an award. Filia has more BB and less K.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.js ... e&sid=t515

Postby Auburn Terry on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:28 pm

ice99 wrote:I like Cowan but It seems like Filia should have gotten an award. Filia has more BB and less K.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.js ... e&sid=t515

Filia is 25, a UCLA graduate, and has been awarded a spot in the Arizona Fall League, so he'll be heading for Peoria after the championship series. Jordan will be in uniform at SafeCo to receive his award along with the rest of the minor league award winners. Jordan Cowan has said that Eric is "the best hitter he has ever played with".and he's playing with some good ones like Kyle Lewis, Joe DeCarlo, and Joe Rizzo. But this award is about more than just bases and balls/ strikeouts ratio. And it's more than OBP. This is about bunting, sacrifice flies, moving runners, forcing errors, running up pitch counts, and concentrating on every AB. This is about a 38th round draft choice who has played with guys older than him throughout,played several positions, even pitched several times, and just filled in where ever the manager needed him. Mitch Canham had Jordan in Clinton, and now all year in Modesto, knows him well, and obviously likes his grit and willingness and wanted to reward him. It's pretty cool.

Of course Jordan won the second game of the Stockton playoff with his come-from-behind 3 run homer, and he won tonight's game, the second game of the Lancaster seiries for the league championship with a 3 run homer in the 11th inning, but the awards were designated before the playoffs.

I'm heading for Arizona in a few weeks because I haven't had a chance to watch Filia play. I've been impressed with him a lot this year.

Postby ice99 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:42 pm

As I said, I like Cowan, but in the opening post you were talking about controlling the zone, and I'm not too sure about draft position influencing an award. Congrats to Jordan!

Postby Auburn Terry on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:53 pm

ice99 wrote:As I said, I like Cowan, but in the opening post you were talking about controlling the zone, and I'm not too sure about draft position influencing an award. Congrats to Jordan!

I agree....
but I'm still happy for Jordan...Here's Lookout Landing on Jordan and you can check the link for other award winners.

The Edgar Martinez PTPA (Productive Team Plate Appearance) Award - Jordan Cowan, INF, High-A Modesto
In the crowd of intriguing players at Modesto, it’s easy to forget Jordan Cowan, drafted in the 37th round by his hometown team in 2013. Cowan has spent most of his career as a Mariner yo-yoing all over the place, but stepped in this year to replace the injured Logan Taylor, out for most of the season. Cowan’s 533 PAs were more than he’s ever had at any level, and he acquitted himself just fine with them, slashing 271/.345/.335 while running a 9.4% BB against a 16.5% K rate. Despite not hitting for much power, Cowan is nonetheless on the runs scored leaderboard (7th, tied with Mariscal), a credit to his ability to get on base.

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2017/9/1 ... gue-awards

Postby D-Trains on Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:28 am

Indians haven't lost since August 23rd, 3 days BEFORE the McGregor, Mayweather fight.

dt

Previous

Return to Mariners