Advertising

Re: Ohtani shall be posted this winter

Postby D-Trains on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:49 pm

It is basically going to be like colleges recruiting the #1 high school football or basketball player in the country. Sell Sell Sell.

dt

Postby D-Trains on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:50 pm

ice99 wrote:I've seen other articles saying that the big market teams will have the advantage because Ohtani can get money outside of his salary, e.g. endorsement money. I wonder what type of endorsement money Ichiro was able to get, Was he able to get some from Nintendo?

Maybe but he will be able to get national spots if he plays well.

dt

Postby WARwhatisitgoodfor on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:02 pm

I like our chances to sign the kid. Maybe he grew up an Ichiro fan and is familiar with the M's.

Postby Auburn Terry on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:21 pm

WARwhatisitgoodfor wrote:I like our chances to sign the kid. Maybe he grew up an Ichiro fan and is familiar with the M's.

The three teams with the best chance to sign him would be most likely be the Yankees, Rangers, and Mariners.

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:10 am

seems like the Red Sox are in it

The Yankees and Red Sox reportedly hold the largest allotment of bonus funds, and Yahoo Sports' Jeff Passan notes they can add up to $8.3 million if they so choose. This puts the AL East monsters in prime position for a bidding war. The Yankees and Red Sox should easily have the inside tracks given their bonus positions, winning pedigrees, and statuses as iconic big-market franchises. And, if Otani's successful, they have the financial resources to give him that megadeal when the time comes.

The extra dollars may or may not give them an edge in any Otani derby, but it's interesting to note that both big-market teams have obtained an extra $3.25 million in extra international pool money, and both had $4.75 million to start (teams have between $4.5 million and $5.5 million to begin now), giving them each exactly $8 million to spend this winter on international players.

Postby D-Trains on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:51 am

Don Gorgon wrote:seems like the Red Sox are in it

The Yankees and Red Sox reportedly hold the largest allotment of bonus funds, and Yahoo Sports' Jeff Passan notes they can add up to $8.3 million if they so choose. This puts the AL East monsters in prime position for a bidding war. The Yankees and Red Sox should easily have the inside tracks given their bonus positions, winning pedigrees, and statuses as iconic big-market franchises. And, if Otani's successful, they have the financial resources to give him that megadeal when the time comes.

The extra dollars may or may not give them an edge in any Otani derby, but it's interesting to note that both big-market teams have obtained an extra $3.25 million in extra international pool money, and both had $4.75 million to start (teams have between $4.5 million and $5.5 million to begin now), giving them each exactly $8 million to spend this winter on international players.

I don't think a couple million is going to matter. I don't even think that would be worth the extra 12 hours of flying time to get back and forth to Japan let alone the promises about letting him pitch and hit. Hopefully he grew up an Ichiro fan as opposed to a Matsui fan.

dt

Postby ice99 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:26 am

He could be a Tanaka fan.

Postby ice99 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:39 am

Maybe the M's should try to pry away Mickey Callaway, give him twice what he's making as the Indians pitching coach. Or maybe someone from the braves org. The number of pitching injuries can't be good. Or ask Iwakuma who he thought was the best M's pitching coach.

Postby 2017WSorBustGoMs on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:05 am

Anybody have some insight into the process? I get that the cost would be the $20M posting fee plus whatever international signing bonus money the team has available but what happens after that? Under the revised process, how long does the club retian his rights?

Postby Double Mocha Man on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:17 am

Shohei Ohtani = ShoMe OhMoney.

PreviousNext

Return to Mariners