Advertising

Last night was Cano's first EVER ejection

Postby D-Trains on Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:47 am

:shock:

“What he did was so stupid,” he said, his voice raising. “I didn’t say anything. I just asked him why he didn’t check it or you should’ve checked that one. He said, ‘you better go.’ But I said, ‘I was just asking you if you can check that.’ He was like, ‘You better go.’ And I said, ‘I’m just asking you a question.’ And then he threw me out. I’ve never disrespectful to anybody. I’m the first one to say that umpires are human and they make mistakes. But if it’s somebody that just asks you a question, I don’t see the reason you would get thrown out. If I curse or say anything like that, I get it. If I know I’m going to be ejected like that, I should have said something back. You know?”

But Cano wasn’t finished.

“If you ask players to give you respect, you have to show respect to the players,” he said. “You guys know me, I’ve been in this game for so long and I never disrespect anyone. I’m the first to alway say hello to everyone. He should know better because I’ve known him for a long time. He’s known me when I was (a young player) at the Yankees complex. I’ve never been disrespectful to anybody. As a veteran playing this game for so long, I think I deserve the respect that I can ask a question to the umpire. That’s it, I just said, ‘why don’t you check it?’ I don’t see the reason to throw me out especially when we are in playoff-type games. I mean if I curse, then I deserve it. I’ll be the first one to walk away and not say anything.”

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mari ... so-stupid/

Re: Last night was Cano's first EVER ejection

Postby Double Mocha Man on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:23 am

MLB umpires association can review this along with the two blatantly bad calls on the Seahawks. Git 'er all done at once...

Postby Double Mocha Man on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:25 am

Baseball players should be allowed to throw a red flag on the field, asking for a review. That would be a hoot... and only extend games by an hour or so.

Postby Auburn Terry on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:28 am

Cano ought to be a lawyer after he hangs up his cleats. He makes a pretty damn good case. I personally liked it a lot, Servais could have done more than go out there to spread his arms and basically give the umpire a blow job, but Cano's pointed response seemed to incite the players to really focus, forget any negative thoughts, and just shove it the Rangers. I like to see a little fire in the belly.

Cano seemed like he was talking fairly strong to the umpire, but if he said what he says he said, I think he's done a hell of a job getting the last word.

Postby David Gee 24 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:29 am

That umpire was completely in the wrong. First of all, he missed the call, Cano obviously checked his swing. If it's obvious he went around he can make that call, but since it wasn't he should have gotten help. It seems like the ump was embarrassed that he probably kicked the call so he put it on Cano by ejecting him.

At the very least, he should today admit that he was in the wrong.

Postby D-Trains on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:37 am

Hopefully the fire continues burning tonight be we are face smoke and mirrors Cashner. He has a horrible K rate and an ok walk rate but a 3.19 ERA (4.36 FIP) This means he has a 4.7 bWAR but only a 2.1 fWAR.

We need to crack the code and hope Felix can have a decent 50 pitch start.

dt

Postby Auburn Terry on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:46 am

Of course Detroit is denying, a little Detroit style justice, but a similar dispute erupted over a balls and strikes call by the Umpire in the Detroit/Cleveland game two nights ago. The catcher, James McMann and manager, Brad Ausmus were both ejected as Ausmus came out to stick up for his catcher. But Detroit was not done with their argument. Check this link out and you'll see a short video of the ejection, then scroll down to the next video and you will see what former Mariner catcher, John Hicks, who replaced an ejected McMann did.

You can come to your own conclusions about whether that was "Detroit Justice" or not. Maybe just the last word in the argument.
Last edited by Auburn Terry on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby D-Trains on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:49 am

Auburn Terry wrote:Of course Detroit is denying, a little Detroit style justice, but a similar dispute erupted over a balls and strikes call by the Umpire in the Detroit/Cleveland game two nights ago. The catcher, James McMann and manager, Brad Ausmus were both efected as Ausmus came out to stick up for his catcher. But Detroit was not done with their argument. Check this link out and you'll see a short video of the ejection, then scroll down to the next video and you will see what former Mariner catcher, John Hicks, who replaced an ejected McMann did.

You can come to your own conclusions about whether that was "Detroit Justice" or not.

Link?

dt

Postby Auburn Terry on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:51 am

D-Trains wrote:
Auburn Terry wrote:Of course Detroit is denying, a little Detroit style justice, but a similar dispute erupted over a balls and strikes call by the Umpire in the Detroit/Cleveland game two nights ago. The catcher, James McMann and manager, Brad Ausmus were both efected as Ausmus came out to stick up for his catcher. But Detroit was not done with their argument. Check this link out and you'll see a short video of the ejection, then scroll down to the next video and you will see what former Mariner catcher, John Hicks, who replaced an ejected McMann did.

You can come to your own conclusions about whether that was "Detroit Justice" or not.

Link?

dt

Sorry http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/umpire- ... -ejections

Postby Double Mocha Man on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:57 am

Like the guy said, "Big leagues, no leather at all?" Poetic and painful justice. Next time Cano has the same ump behind the plate I can see his bat coming loose on a swing...

Not really, I don't condone violence.

Next

Return to Mariners