Advertising

Re: Mariner's winter plan?

Postby harmony55 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:26 pm

Will the Cubs tender a contract to center fielder Leonys Martin with his projected 2018 arbitration salary of $4.9 million?

Martin, who turns 30 in March, is only a year removed from a 2.2 fWAR season with the Mariners.

Postby D-Trains on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:38 pm

harmony55 wrote:Will the Cubs tender a contract to center fielder Leonys Martin with his projected 2018 arbitration salary of $4.9 million?

Martin, who turns 30 in March, is only a year removed from a 2.2 fWAR season with the Mariners.

.513 OPS on the year. Zero chance.

dt

Postby footballfanatic06 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:48 pm

White on the fast track? I'd like to see proof of that. If that's true great. I'd still like to go after Hosmer & his 4.1 WAR. Here's why:

Hosmer

30.8 OWAR (4th in MLB)
135 WRC+ (7th in MLB, 2nd in AL to Abreu)
.376 OBA (8th in MLB, 2nd in AL to Abreu)
.351 BABIP (2nd in MLB)

Also I do like the idea of Upton. At this point I'd sacrifice some in defense for more offense.

Upton

33 OWAR (2nd in MLB)
4 BsR (4th in MLB)
137 WRC+ (5th in MLB)
.378 wOBA (5th in MLB)
.540 SLG% (3rd in MLB)
.361 OBP% (5th in MLB)
.341 BABIP (6th in MLB)
.268 ISO (3rd in MLB)
109 RBI (3rd in MLB)
100 Runs Scored (1st)
35 HR's (4th in MLB)

Imagine him & Haniger in the COF spots knocking dingers. You know Mitch has the capability to knock 30+ easily if healthy. Plus he's a gem on the bases, if you keep Dyson too, you've got both speedsters in the OF on the basepaths.

The prospect of a prospect coming up & achieving success right away doesn't fill me with much confidence.

I could easily see JD going after these 2 & Ohtani, & if not Hosmer then Upton, Ohtani, & Darvish.

Postby D-Trains on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:56 pm

footballfanatic06 wrote:White on the fast track? I'd like to see proof of that. If that's true great. I'd still like to go after Hosmer & his 4.1 WAR. Here's why:

Hosmer

30.8 OWAR (4th in MLB)
.351 BABIP (2nd in MLB)

Also I do like the idea of Upton. At this point I'd sacrifice some in defense for more offense.

Upton

33 OWAR (2nd in MLB)
4 BsR (4th in MLB)
137 WRC+ (5th in MLB)
.378 wOBA (5th in MLB)
.540 SLG% (3rd in MLB)
.361 OBP% (5th in MLB)
.341 BABIP (6th in MLB)
.268 ISO (3rd in MLB)
109 RBI (3rd in MLB)
100 Runs Scored (1st)
35 HR's (4th in MLB)

Imagine him & Haniger in the COF spots knocking dingers. You know Mitch has the capability to knock 30+ easily if healthy. Plus he's a gem on the bases, if you keep Dyson too, you've got both speedsters in the OF on the basepaths.

The prospect of a prospect coming up & achieving success right away doesn't fill me with much confidence.

I could easily see JD going after these 2 & Ohtani, & if not Hosmer then Upton, Ohtani, & Darvish.

You must have missed the John Stanton article. Oh and btw Dyson isn't coming back.

dt

Postby D-Trains on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:57 pm

Do you guys remember when we were speculating about who had the anti SS voice of dissent in the clubhouse. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Dyson.

dt

Postby footballfanatic06 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:02 pm

D-Trains wrote:
footballfanatic06 wrote:White on the fast track? I'd like to see proof of that. If that's true great. I'd still like to go after Hosmer & his 4.1 WAR. Here's why:

Hosmer

30.8 OWAR (4th in MLB)
.351 BABIP (2nd in MLB)

Upton

33 OWAR (2nd in MLB)
4 BsR (4th in MLB)
137 WRC+ (5th in MLB)
.378 wOBA (5th in MLB)
.540 SLG% (3rd in MLB)
.361 OBP% (5th in MLB)
.341 BABIP (6th in MLB)
.268 ISO (3rd in MLB)
109 RBI (3rd in MLB)
100 Runs Scored (1st)
35 HR's (4th in MLB)

You must have missed the John Stanton article. Oh and btw Dyson isn't coming back.

dt

He could just be playing to the crowd. I wouldn't doubt it.

Postby D-Trains on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:13 pm

I would be pretty surprised if they went after any A list FAs after publicly making this statement in bold below but who knows, maybe he is just trying to appeal to the money conscious portion of the fanbase. lol

You might think that understanding would give Stanton, just one full season into his tenure as the top dog of the organization, an itchy trigger finger to mandate the sort of splashy, big-ticket acquisition that catches the attention of fans. My observation has always been that no one is more aggressive on the free-agent market than new ownership or fresh-on-the-job CEOs, who want to prove to fans that they — perhaps in contrast to their predecessor — are willing to “do what it takes” to win. And the way to show that has traditionally been by opening the wallet for a prominent free agent.

But you would think wrong, it appears. Mind you, this isn’t a statement about Seattle’s future payroll. The Mariners opened the 2017 season with a reported payroll of $154 million, their highest ever, which put them in the middle of the pack in MLB (13th, according to The Associated Press). Stanton said they are still a few weeks away from setting next year’s payroll, but “there’s room for growth.”

It’s more about philosophy. When I asked Stanton whether he felt a need to make a big signing to show fans the team was serious in its commitment, he didn’t see it that way. In fact, he invoked the name of Richie Sexson to illustrate what can be the fallacy of that strategy. The Mariners got two good seasons out of Sexson, signed to a four-year, $50 million contract in 2005, before things turned sour. He could just as easily have said Chone Figgins.

“I guess I think of some of the acquisitions we’ve done in the past of expensive free agents, late in their career,’’ he said. “I don’t know how this would resonate with fans, but bluntly, I’d rather have a Mitch Haniger, where he is in his career, with great confidence that he will be an All-Star and people are going to want 17 on the back of their Little League jersey and the like.”

Postby D-Trains on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:21 pm

The problem with Stanton's comment of course is that we traded TW for him. We don't have any more TWs on the team or the minors unless you want to trade your only decent starter and further decimate the rotation.

dt

Postby D-Trains on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:41 pm

Note about Upton. He could just renegotiate his contract with the Angels. Of all the dozens and dozens of FAs available I would say he is the least likely to be a Mariner.

dt

Postby ice99 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:19 pm

Yonder Alonso says "I love it here."

"I think all the guys here know how much I appreciate this place and want to be here and obviously play here. But I'm going to have options and different scenarios and situations, so we'll see what it holds."

http://m.mariners.mlb.com/news/article/ ... -mariners/

PreviousNext

Return to Mariners