Advertising

Re: Seattle Mariners have interest in Santana

Postby D-Trains on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:35 am

SonsofHan wrote:According to Roster Resource Santana ended the season ranked # 46 in the game. The M's ended the season with one ranked higher #26 Nelson Cruz.

Cain ended ranked # 81 which is weird because he had 5.3 BWAR vs 3.4 for Carlos. Not to mention the defense, position scarcity, and baserunning should heavily favor Cain. Finally, Santana had only a slight edge with the bat 112 to 106 OPS+.

Makes you question their rankings. Do they provide their methodology?

dt

Postby Don Gorgon on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:32 pm

D-Trains wrote:
Don Gorgon wrote:see what they decide to do with him

"He's obviously extremely productive between the white lines, and he's extremely important in our clubhouse,'' Hahn said of Abreu. "He plays an important leadership role that we value. He's a mentor to our young players. In terms of his work ethic and preparation, he's what you want in a player. That matters to us.''

Weird excuse to do a half ass rebuild. I guess Eaton, Quintana and Sale must have told the young kids to F off when they asked for help. lol

dt

you get pissed if a team blows themselves up completely and you get pissed if they don't...They are talking about extending him, the issue seems to be could he be part of the long-term plans of the club or should he be sold off, we are probably happy they didnt trade Edgar away in a rebuild

Postby D-Trains on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:54 pm

Yeah, I am really pissed. :| If they want to chose a 31 yo DH as the cornerstone of their rebuild, it is up to them.

dt

Postby Don Gorgon on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:57 pm

as opposed to the Astros that sold everybody off which you seemed to complain about as well

Postby D-Trains on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:as opposed to the Astros that sold everybody off which you seemed to complain about as well

Not a fan of it but makes more sense than keeping one guy just for old times sake.

dt

Postby Don Gorgon on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:10 pm

who said anything about keeping him around for old times sake?...I have no idea what their intentions are but Abreu is a heck of a good player, probably underappreciated for how good he really is, seems funny to me to be talking about a guy 30 when the Mariners are using a 37 year old DH as the cornerstone of their offense. I have already bet that the Sox make it to the playoffs before we do, who is to say Abreu isn't part of it?

Postby Don Gorgon on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:39 pm

argument that Renteria should be manager of the year, who knows, maybe they know what they are doing in Chicago, I wouldn't put it past them that they might actually have a better plan than the Mariners

"Look, you have to want it, and define the manager's job as the maximal and optimal execution of the organization's plan instead of winning games, but: Rick Renteria. That dude has the Sox wanting it, competing even after they traded their world away, is bringing along a whole bunch of important players in unexpected and valuable ways. Tons of trust from the Latino players. More hands-on than maybe any other skipper in the league from an instruction standpoint."

Postby D-Trains on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:25 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:argument that Renteria should be manager of the year, who knows, maybe they know what they are doing in Chicago, I wouldn't put it past them that they might actually have a better plan than the Mariners

"Look, you have to want it, and define the manager's job as the maximal and optimal execution of the organization's plan instead of winning games, but: Rick Renteria. That dude has the Sox wanting it, competing even after they traded their world away, is bringing along a whole bunch of important players in unexpected and valuable ways. Tons of trust from the Latino players. More hands-on than maybe any other skipper in the league from an instruction standpoint."

I am sure they are the next Astros. Here is you chance to pick them as the 2020 WS champs.

dt

Postby D-Trains on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:27 pm

Like me, LL's 1B preference is Santana:

LL’s preferred option:
Scenario D

Rationale: Paying for starting pitching in this market involves paying a premium per WAR that most likely won’t offer the same ROI as spending money elsewhere. The Mariners can stretch their free agent money further by investing in the first base pool, which is an actual pool compared to the puddle of pitching. Dave Cameron puts a four-year/$72MM valuation on Santana; that’s probably more than the Mariners would be willing to offer and is creeping into the region of overpay for the 32-year-old, but anything lower than that (even if it’s a higher AAV for a three-year deal) is worth it to finally see some production at first base and save the roster spot from having to be platooned.

What will actually happen:

Scenario C

Rationale: If Hosmer and Santana blow up the first base market, sticking with Alonso and a platoon-mate who brings more flexibility—either Kendrick or someone else—seems like the relatively safe, relatively inexpensive, relatively unexciting way to go.

Postby D-Trains on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 pm

They also don't think Cano is moving to 1B any time soon:

As for Canó, it’s tempting to move the aging star to a less physically demanding position and have his solid bat deliver a more muted thump on the corner. There have been no indications internally that this is being considered, and Canó’s continued positive defensive work is easy to point to as a counterargument. By UZR/150, Canó was the 6th best defensive 2B in MLB in 2017 out of 16 qualified players and the 7th-best (out of 18) over the last two seasons combined. When Canó doesn’t have two hernias he can still hang just fine at second, and the dearth of internal options to replace middle infielders make him a lock to remain.

PreviousNext

Return to Mariners