Advertising

The secret to JDs "success"

Postby D-Trains on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:43 am

Jerry Dipoto On How He Makes Deal
By Jeff Todd | January 13, 2018 at 12:19am CDT

Mariners GM Jerry Dipoto discussed some of his methods of trade mayhem on the latest run of his podcast. (Find the audio and some choice quotes compiled by MLB.com’s Greg johns.) The team’s acquisition of Dee Gordon came together via texts that Dipoto sent from an airplane, says the executive. He also copped to extensive GIF and emoji usage in his negotiations, when appropriate.

Re: The secret to JDs "success"

Postby seaspts_ on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:48 am

I wonder how many in-flight drinks were involved.

Postby WARwhatisitgoodfor on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:49 am

Well he's gotta fill the time somehow. Obviously isn't spending it making the team better.

Postby D-Trains on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:01 pm

Twins just sign Addison Reed to basically the same deal that we signed Nicasio for. I guess Reed was too famous a name for JD. Reed is two years younger.

https://www.mlb.com/news/twins-agree-to ... -264674078

Career stats

Reed ERA 3.40 FIP 3.18 425 Ks in 402 innings

Nicasio ERA 4.55 FIP 3.97 569 Ks in 629 innings

Past three seasons

Reed ERA 2.66 FIP 2.87

Nicasio ERA 3.80 FIP 3.32

Postby D-Trains on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:05 pm

Actually Reeds deal is less than $17MM and Nicasio's is right at $17MM. Sad.

Sure sounds like JD are the ultimate suck up homer boy Goldsmith are having a great time yucking it up on that podcast though. I bet that Gif and emoji discussion was a real hoot! :roll:

dt

Postby toomuchgarlicsalt on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:12 pm

D-Trains wrote:Actually Reeds deal is less than $17MM and Nicasio's is right at $17MM. Sad.

Sure sounds like JD are the ultimate suck up homer boy Goldsmith are having a great time yucking it up on that podcast though. I bet that Gif and emoji discussion was a real hoot! :roll:

dt
Actually saw an article on Cut4, a Mlb site, talking about how many trades JD has made, and how amazing it is. Of course they didn't mention that he is far behind in War given away compared to what he got, it legit sounded like Mariners PR wrote the article.

Imagine your stock broker bragging about the 60 buy/sells he made for you, but then mentions he lost you quite a bit of money in the process, yet is till stoked he made so many moves for you?

Postby D-Trains on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:18 pm

toomuchgarlicsalt wrote:
D-Trains wrote:Actually Reeds deal is less than $17MM and Nicasio's is right at $17MM. Sad.

dt
Actually saw an article on Cut4, a Mlb site, talking about how many trades JD has made, and how amazing it is. Of course they didn't mention that he is far behind in War given away compared to what he got, it legit sounded like Mariners PR wrote the article.

Imagine your stock broker bragging about the 60 buy/sells he made for you, but then mentions he lost you quite a bit of money in the process, yet is till stoked he made so many moves for you?

And instead of commissions on the stock trades, the M's have to pay his huge cell bill inflated by the data charges for sending all of those Gifs and emojis. lol

dt

Postby harmony55 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:50 pm

dt

The New York Times quoted Minnesota general manager Thad Levine: “The person who has the most expansive library of GIFs that he employs for negotiations is none other than Brian Cashman. He is exceptional. They’re extremely funny.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/04/spor ... xting.html

Postby Bil522 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:39 am

T
harmony55 wrote:

dt

The New York Times quoted Minnesota general manager Thad Levine: “The person who has the most expansive library of GIFs that he employs for negotiations is none other than Brian Cashman. He is exceptional. They’re extremely funny.”

We can't even be #1 in emojis
/

Postby D-Trains on Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:59 am

Bil522 wrote:T
harmony55 wrote:

dt

We can't even be #1 in emojis
/

:(

Next

Return to Mariners