Advertising

Re: Cano to first base

Postby Don Gorgon on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:01 pm

thought it was Chicago that was considered the favorite, Harper wants to play there with Bryant his buddy from Las Vegas.

His hometown thinks so
https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/chi ... -mlb-2019/

Postby D-Trains on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:11 am

Postby altaholic on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:55 am

D-Trains wrote:
altaholic wrote:
Captain 97 wrote:Cano has never payed first in his life are we sure we want to just throw him out there green in the middle of a playoff race? Athletically, I am sure he can handle it but it will still take some adjustment time. The ball gets on you a lot faster at the corner plus he will need to figure out all the footwork for setting up to take throws and make the scoops at first.

It's first base for pete's sake...if they can put Vogey out there in meaningful games...and when you are in 1st place by 1/2 game...every game is meaningful...then they can put Cano out there.

I'm pretty sure any defensive metric would end up favoring Cano over Vogey over the same number of games.

Cano may even show stronger numbers than Healy if given a chance.

Agreed...he let the team and fans down big time but he WILL help them win games if they put him in the lineup. He won't help win games on the bench.

I gotta believe this has been the long term plan for DiPoto and this opens the door for him to lean on Cano to accept it. Cano can't squeal about it if it does happen.

So why aren't they say that he is going to move to 1B or at least get some work at 1B

dt

Why should they?...they have a good thing going...why make a statement that doesn't need a decision until he returns in August.

Healy is aware of the talk...why make a loud statement that might make him feel that he is only a short term band aid and risk all the positive's that is going on with that team.

It would be silly for the M's to be public with their plans with another 45+ days to go until Cano comes back.

Postby D-Trains on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:14 am

Uhh, that is precisely what they just did.

dt

Postby kingfelixk on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:45 pm

Seems pretty simple to me. Start Cano at first and Gordon at second against RHP, and Start Healy at first and Cano at second against lefties. One thing they need to do is put Gordon at the bottom of the lineup though. Do not want to see Haniger moved down to 5 or 6. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Span earlier in the lineup with his OBP, or Gamel for that matter right now (take a walk every once in a while Gordon).

Gordon on the bench to come in as a pinch runner late in games could be a huge asset to the M's late in games on the days he sits.

Postby D-Trains on Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:10 pm

kingfelixk wrote:Seems pretty simple to me. Start Cano at first and Gordon at second against RHP, and Start Healy at first and Cano at second against lefties. One thing they need to do is put Gordon at the bottom of the lineup though. Do not want to see Haniger moved down to 5 or 6. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Span earlier in the lineup with his OBP, or Gamel for that matter right now (take a walk every once in a while Gordon).

Gordon on the bench to come in as a pinch runner late in games could be a huge asset to the M's late in games on the days he sits.

Very good thoughts.

dt

Previous

Return to Mariners