Advertising

Re: Marco delivering his 10th win vs Angels game thread 7/11

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:15 am

yeah, if you want to think like SS or any manager you need to put the "lack of confidence" thing out of your mind. The very essence of the role of a manager is to show confidence in his players, that is what he is there for.

Postby Moe Gibbs on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:20 am

Hy Feiber wrote:
XpertDBA wrote:Why could these guys notch complete games time and time again, but these prima donnas in today's game can't finish games?

Are you telling me guys in the 1950's or 1980's were that much stronger and better than the players of today?

http://www.espn.com/blog/playbook/fando ... en-streaks
XpertDBA wrote:Why could these guys notch complete games time and time again, but these prima donnas in today's game can't finish games?

Are you telling me guys in the 1950's or 1980's were that much stronger and better than the players of today?

http://www.espn.com/blog/playbook/fando ... en-streaks

I’ve been saying the same thing for years.

Pitchers nowadays have The Deck stacked against them.

There was no DH back in the day. One fewer place for the pitcher to catch his breath now.
There are fewer weak hitters now. How many lineups today have Dal Maxvill, Marc Belanger, Hal Lanier, Woody Woodward, Dick Trazewski..pencilled in every day for 10 years straight...?
The Umps used to call the High Strike back in Koufax's Day. They stopped calling anything above the belly button in the early 1980s. The High Strike at 95 mph+ is the toughest pitch to hit.
Even "Back In The Day" there were pitchers who predictably were only good for 90 -100 pitches and these were the first guys that managers had to religiously count pitches for. The trend became much more popular once Earl Weaver, Sparky Anderson, Dick Williams, Tony LaRussa, Billy Martin and Tommy Lasorda showed how dominating they could be with a rock solid Bullpen.

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:33 am

there are all sorts of things that go into it, a large part of it is its just more effective to bring in a different pitcher for the fourth time through the lineup

Postby XpertDBA on Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:34 pm

D-Trains wrote:As I suggested Pax starts tomorrow. That way he doesn't have to try to hit and we don't have to watch a giraffe on roller skates if he had somehow put a ball in play.

dt

Greg Johns

Verified account

@GregJohnsMLB
5m5 minutes ago
More
James Paxton will start tomorrow vs Angels in Felix’s spot. On normal test due to Monday off day. Spot starter will be called up for Friday’s series opener vs Rockies, then LeBlanc and Leake on Sat and Sun.

DAMMIT, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.....I have front row seats to the 1st game of Rockies/Mariners tomorrow night......god damnit it, I wanted to see Paxton pitch.

Postby XpertDBA on Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:38 pm

David Gee 24 wrote:Okay, it makes sense now. It was just odd that Gonzalez was breezing through their lineup and all of a sudden there's Colome out there. It's one thing if a Mariner starter is breezing through a two-hitter and you bring in Diaz, I think we can be all on board with that, but Colome or Nicasio is definitely cause for anxiety, even with a three-run cushion. Luckily the Angels couldn't hit anything our guys threw at 'em.

Yeah, that was all I was saying...82 pitches....I would take Marco with a bruise on his leg at 82 pitches than the high blood pressure I have to endure with Colome. He reminds of a mini-Rodney and those days were quite painful.

Postby D-Trains on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:44 pm

XpertDBA wrote:
David Gee 24 wrote:Okay, it makes sense now. It was just odd that Gonzalez was breezing through their lineup and all of a sudden there's Colome out there. It's one thing if a Mariner starter is breezing through a two-hitter and you bring in Diaz, I think we can be all on board with that, but Colome or Nicasio is definitely cause for anxiety, even with a three-run cushion. Luckily the Angels couldn't hit anything our guys threw at 'em.

Yeah, that was all I was saying...82 pitches....I would take Marco with a bruise on his leg at 82 pitches than the high blood pressure I have to endure with Colome. He reminds of a mini-Rodney and those days were quite painful.

Sure. But of course they don't care about your blood pressure. :)

Postby D-Trains on Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:06 pm

Wow, Bergman has a 4.78 ERA with Tacoma. I think I would be surprised if he pitched another 7 shut out innings tomorrow a mile above Sea level.

dt

Postby kingfelixk on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:17 pm

D-Trains wrote:Wow, Bergman has a 4.78 ERA with Tacoma. I think I would be surprised if he pitched another 7 shut out innings tomorrow a mile above Sea level.

dt

Especially if Cruz is playing in the outfield.

Postby Livesmatterinthiscountry on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:24 pm

Game thread should be here.

Postby Livesmatterinthiscountry on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:34 pm

Still not too late to right the ship.

PreviousNext

Return to Mariners