Advertising

Re: Seager?

Postby Don Gorgon on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:13 am

what is flawed about it?
 
Posts: 49025
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:59 am
Location: balm yard

Re: Seager?

Postby kingfelixk on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:15 am

Michael K 2 wrote:According to you, being twentieth amongst thirty peers is perfectly alright. To me, that is bottom third, and in most professions places your job in jeapordy. I stated that opinion, you decided that since a guy who is paid to play baseball is better at it than most average human beings I was wrong.

Fine, you are right, being 20th out to 30 is awesome. I mean, in youth soccer leagues that gets you a trophy....so right on Kyle. Thumbs up!

Lets recap

Seager had a bad day.

Someone said that Servais should call him out publicly.

I said that it is unnecessary.

You said that his performance would lose him his job.

I said. No way. He is top 15-20 in a profession that has 30 job opening.

You ignored the 15 part, and chose to take only the low end of that and say he was 20th (the line I included had him 16 in WAR, and you never put anything out there that showed he was ranked in the lower end toward 20) and had a horrible comparison using job applications.

I then pointed out how horrible that comparison was.

You then deflected away from the original argument about whether or not Seager would lose his job for his performance.



And simple math. 20th of 30 actually puts you in the middle third. This is not really the argument though. Just pointing out how bad at math you are. The top end 15 would actually put you in the top half. He's actually 14th in WAR right now. There are also more than 30 guys that he can be compared to among his peers. Guys like Andrew Romine and Gordon Becham. If they were good enough, they would be regular every day 3B (or other positions). He is good enough, despite his down year and recent struggles
 
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 9:14 pm

Re: Seager?

Postby kingfelixk on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:36 am

Furthermore, lets say, for arguments sake, that he is around 20 (I think he's closer to 15, but there is no exact science to determine this so you can't say for sure). I do think that he is for sure in the top 20 though.

I don't know what you do, but lets say you work at a place where you have 30 people doing your job. If you are better than 10 of them, you are saying that you would lose your job? Would your boss then fire the 10 people below you without having anyone to replace them and having 11 openings. I never said anything about being impressive, getting a promotion, getting a raise, etc... I simply said that his performance wouldn't cost him his job.
 
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 9:14 pm

Re: Seager?

Postby Michael K 2 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:37 am

kingfelixk wrote:
Michael K 2 wrote:According to you, being twentieth amongst thirty peers is perfectly alright. To me, that is bottom third, and in most professions places your job in jeapordy. I stated that opinion, you decided that since a guy who is paid to play baseball is better at it than most average human beings I was wrong.

Fine, you are right, being 20th out to 30 is awesome. I mean, in youth soccer leagues that gets you a trophy....so right on Kyle. Thumbs up!

Lets recap

Seager had a bad day.

Someone said that Servais should call him out publicly.

I said that it is unnecessary.

You said that his performance would lose him his job.

I said. No way. He is top 15-20 in a profession that has 30 job opening.

You ignored the 15 part, and chose to take only the low end of that and say he was 20th (the line I included had him 16 in WAR, and you never put anything out there that showed he was ranked in the lower end toward 20) and had a horrible comparison using job applications.

I then pointed out how horrible that comparison was.

You then deflected away from the original argument about whether or not Seager would lose his job for his performance.



And simple math. 20th of 30 actually puts you in the middle third. This is not really the argument though. Just pointing out how bad at math you are. The top end 15 would actually put you in the top half. He's actually 14th in WAR right now. There are also more than 30 guys that he can be compared to among his peers. Guys like Andrew Romine and Gordon Becham. If they were good enough, they would be regular every day 3B (or other positions). He is good enough, despite his down year and recent struggles


No, I said if most people performed at their job the way he did THEY would lose their job. You then told me he was top twenty and argues with me whether he could be bottom third amongst his peers, because he wasn't 21st.

Sorry, if there are only 10 MLB starters at your position not out performing you, your job might not be secure. If you are not hitting and then decide to have a three or four game stretch we're you are an absolute mess in the field? Being called out by your manager shouldn't be a shock.
 
Posts: 10295
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Wenatchee, WA

Re: Seager?

Postby Don Gorgon on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:39 am

Seager losing his job wouldn't be a function of the other 29 3rd basemen around the league in the first place, his losing his job would be based on the Mariners having someone better to replace him with.
 
Posts: 49025
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:59 am
Location: balm yard

Re: Seager?

Postby Michael K 2 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:56 am

Don Gorgon wrote:Seager losing his job wouldn't be a function of the other 29 3rd basemen around the league in the first place, his losing his job would be based on the Mariners having someone better to replace him with.


Yeah, because every player in baseball is replaced by someone already in the organization? You think if he was top five or ten at his position his job would be in the same jeapordy?
 
Posts: 10295
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Wenatchee, WA

Re: Seager?

Postby kingfelixk on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:00 am

Michael K 2 wrote:
No, I said if most people performed at their job the way he did THEY would lose their job. You then told me he was top twenty and argues with me whether he could be bottom third amongst his peers, because he wasn't 21st.

Sorry, if there are only 10 MLB starters at your position not out performing you, your job might not be secure. If you are not hitting and then decide to have a three or four game stretch we're you are an absolute mess in the field? Being called out by your manager shouldn't be a shock.

I just said being called out is unnecessary not that it is a shock. Now I think Seager is a top 15 3B. I would love to see numbers that place him closer to 20 though if you have them.

Now his job is insecure, I thought he would be fired? You keep changing your argument.
 
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 9:14 pm

Re: Seager?

Postby Don Gorgon on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:08 am

Michael K 2 wrote:
Don Gorgon wrote:Seager losing his job wouldn't be a function of the other 29 3rd basemen around the league in the first place, his losing his job would be based on the Mariners having someone better to replace him with.


Yeah, because every player in baseball is replaced by someone already in the organization? You think if he was top five or ten at his position his job would be in the same jeapordy?


he is in jeapordy?....
 
Posts: 49025
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:59 am
Location: balm yard

Re: Seager?

Postby Captain 97 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:15 am

Where is this 20th stuff coming from. He is 12th in WAR among MLB third baseman.
 
Posts: 7827
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:10 am
Location: stanwood, WA

Re: Seager?

Postby kingfelixk on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:20 am

Captain 97 wrote:Where is this 20th stuff coming from. He is 12th in WAR among MLB third baseman.

I said he was around 15-20 originally so he just ran with the 20... When I looked at one source he was 16th in WAR at the time.
 
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 9:14 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Mariners

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dr Naysay and 10 guests

Advertising