Advertising

OT The Shanghai Masters-Ronnie O'Sullivan starts today

Postby AT Sandiego on Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:18 am

I have no idea who will win, such an elite field. Sure Ronnie is favored but he hasn't played in a tournament since last May. And this is the 5th tournament of the 2018/19 season, but thought I share a bit of this as it goes along for those who have never been exposed to this quality of play...

Here's some pre tournament action as the players gather from around the globe. Ronnie plays today, Niel Robertson from Australia...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-8z9lQmrTI

Re: OT The Shanghai Masters-Ronnie O'Sullivan starts today

Postby AT Sandiego on Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:52 am

And Ronnie's first match began at 7:30 pm in Shanghai today (5:30 am in Seattle). You can see the entire match here, it takes about two hours. But the first frame will give you an idea of how difficult this game is and that takes less than ten minutes...

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGrResBgqLY

Postby Hindemith on Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:37 pm

That table is huge. I haven't shot pool in ages but I've never seen a table bigger than 8ft long.

Postby D-Trains on Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Hindemith wrote:That table is huge. I haven't shot pool in ages but I've never seen a table bigger than 8ft long.

I have watched a few matches. The rules are vastly different than Billiards. I still can't quite figure them out despite AT's tutoring. :)

dt

Postby AT Sandiego on Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:54 pm

The table is 12' by 6' and the pockets are considerably smaller than those on a 9'by 4' pool table... you cannot roll a ball down the cushion into the pocket unless it is absolutely pin point perfect. I have only 2 centuries in my life on the snooker table. Ronnie has 950 centuries in tournament competition. My top run on a pool table is 142. Top run at 70 last year was 38 balls. My top run in nine ball is 7 racks in 1968. Ronnie destroyed Earl Strickland in the Mosconi Cups when he was 19 years old. Ronnie is as good at 43 as he was at 21... it's remarkable.

Ronnie just won again today, he faces Kyren Wilson tomorrow in the semi final. Kyren has won two tournaments this year, he's the young upstart. Ronnie beat him in the finals of the UK Championship last year for one of his 5 titles in 10 tournaments. Ronnie has beaten 2 former world champions, Niel Robertson and Stuart Bingham, to reach the semifinals. Bingham today 6-3. Tomorrow's contest is longer.... two 4 hour sessions...

Here's Ronnie's second century against Stuart Bingham, a classic 140 clearance that ran his lead to 5-2. Only takes 9 minutes to watch but it's vintage Ronnie O'Sullivan...

Quick scoring primer:
The object of the game is to clear the balls starting with a red, then any color, then a red, then a color. The colors are respotted until all the reds are gone. The colors have different values... yellow=2, green=3, brown=4, blue=5, pink=6, black=y with each red equaling one point. Highest score possible would be 15 reds coupled with 15 blacks followed by running the colors for 147 points... quite a bit harder than rolling a 300 game in bowling.

Enjoy! It's worth a watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyWVmzudhz4

Postby Hindemith on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:44 pm

Why do they continue once they reach 74 points and have clinched the game? Do they get some kind of bonus points for doing that?

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:03 pm

would play snooker when I was living in Bangkok, very popular around Asia though not in the Philippines, difference between English, Indian and American influence

Postby D-Trains on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:39 am

Hindemith wrote:Why do they continue once they reach 74 points and have clinched the game? Do they get some kind of bonus points for doing that?

I am not sure but I am sure AT will get back to you. He will be thrilled that he has a potential convert! :)

Postby AT Sandiego on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:45 am

Thanks for the question, Hindemith!
Good question, two reasons. (And yes... Dtrain is right, I do get excited if anyone exhibits interest in this game)
In the first place the English consider it bad form to miss on purpose so once the frame is safe players continue on to strive for centuries (100 point frames) or total clearances. They will often stop after clearing the pink if the frame is secure.
Secondly, the frame is not secure when the opponent reaches 74 points because it is snooker and players can gain points by securing snookers, that is to hide an opponent behind a color so that he cannot hit a red which is worth 4 points to the opponent and he may be told to play the shot a(gain if the snookering player desires...or the player can choose to have the opponent play the ball where it lies...or the player can choose to play the ball himself...

Here's an example of the last option from the 2016 Defabet Masters when Ronnie O'Sullivan snookers Stuart Bingham because he came to the table 53 points behind with only 51 points on the table. This kind of stuff requires great skill and usually gets the crowd really jacked up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sXXTIuJxM4

Postby AT Sandiego on Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Here's the full match which covered two sessions last night after the Mariner name. This video is with English speaking commentary. Kyren Wilson started out with the run of the balls and a couple of breaks so Ronnie was 2 frames down before he got his hand on the table. Some scrappy play but the 3rd -6th frames are vintage Ronnie.

Ronnie pulled away in the second session to win 10-6. Sunday he plays in the finals against either Barry Hawkins or the Chinese Champion Ding Junhui. Winner takes home 200,000 pounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW4hoSGG7TA

Next

Return to Mariners