Advertising

Re: Edwin Diaz

Postby D-Trains on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:53 pm

David Gee 24 wrote:One's first reaction is "Trade him? No WAY!!!" but as we've seen in over 40 years as Mariner fans, closing has been a fickle business (and not just for the Mariner organization, that's pretty much the case with just about every franchise). The only closer we've ever had who has managed to have more than two good seasons as a closer is Kaz Sasaki. We've had a lot of guys have good seasons closing who the very next year just hit a wall. Even JJ Putz, who had the best season ever for a Mariner reliever in 2007, had two good seasons and then...well, take a look: https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... jj01.shtml.

If someone wants to make us a good offer for Diaz, I think we should at least listen. He might be great again in 2019, but he can't be an untouchable.

What made Putz a true Mariner hero is I think he is the guy that wanted to kick Ichiro's ass. :lol:

Postby D-Trains on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:55 pm

Dr Naysay wrote:See if we can make a run at the WC next year and then decide. I don't want to trade a guy who would be on the League minimum to then scramble for another high leverage pitcher that is paid too much money.

Agree.

dt

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:33 pm

the Putz trade was probably one of the best the Mariners have ever pulled off, of course Putz was going to be owed a lot of money and had already showed injury issues

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2008/ ... e-way-trad

Postby ddraig on Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:25 pm

Sadly, I believe Diaz will be traded within the next three years. Sorry, but I think the organization would rather continue to tinker than keep pieces in place that will benefit them in the long run. They can probably get two or three good prospects for him, which is what the organization will look to do and hope they can catch lightening in a bottle.

Postby Dr Naysay on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:03 pm

ddraig wrote:Sadly, I believe Diaz will be traded within the next three years. Sorry, but I think the organization would rather continue to tinker than keep pieces in place that will benefit them in the long run. They can probably get two or three good prospects for him, which is what the organization will look to do and hope they can catch lightening in a bottle.

It's a product of the purgatory thst the Ms are in, clear challenger we have the best closer under control for 3 more years. Rip it up mode we have the best closer in the League to bring us some nice pieces. We always sit square in the uncertainty bracket.

Postby somebody's son on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:48 pm

Sad for Diaz in a way
3 years of low pay per other closer get
If he is 2-3 years away from not being effective?

With no starting pitching in the cupboard
Do you mess up a good thing and give him
Another shot at starting?

Postby Captain 97 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:33 am

he is NOT 2-3 years away from being ineffective! The dude is 24 years old. This is Not J.J. Putz who was mediocre through most of his 20's had a break out year at 29 a career year at 30 and then fell off the table in his 30's. Of course there is always the chance of injury, but there is no reason to think that he would be more susceptible to that that any other pitcher. Trading Diaz for prospects would be monumentally stupid. First of all its a crap shoot that the prospects would even make the bigs. Secondly most prospects aren't even in the big leagues by the time they are Edwin's age. Thirdly Edwin makes no money. If you trade him for 3 prospects you would feel fortunate if one of them makes the big leagues. Beyond that the chances of them turning out to be as good as Diaz are infinitesimal. So basically if you trade Diaz your tangible return to the big league team will be an older player with less talent that makes the same amount of money. There is literally no upside to trading a player like Diaz unless you can get salary relief for some of your other contracts.

Postby D-Trains on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:51 am

Diaz has already become a key marketing tool. He isn't getting traded.

dt

Postby WARwhatisitgoodfor on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:02 am

I think Diaz will be useful to us for many years because even in arbitration he will still be worth what we pay him, or else we non-tender or trade him.

There's no reason to make a rash decision on Diaz.

However, unless your plan is to stack your bullpen Yankee style in 2019, then either Colome or Diaz could be expendable.

Between the two, I'd prefer to trade Colome, but Diaz clearly has more value given the years of team control. If we're not trying to win this year then they should trade both. Bad teams don't need closers. They need losses.

If they're trying to win, they should probably keep both. If they're going to do another pathetic attempt to give the Wild Card a shot if everything breaks our way- the Mariner way- then they might as well at least trade one of them to either fill one of our holes, or get some real talent for the future when we do plan to make a legitimate playoff run.

Postby D-Trains on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:44 am

Pagan made $500k in 2017 and put up 0.8 WAR. Nucklefuck traded him for Healy who put up -0.7 WAR. He then paid Nicasio $17MM to replace Pagan and he put up 0.8 WAR.

Those two moves, both of which I HATED at the time, epitomize JDs brilliance as a GM.

dt

PreviousNext

Return to Mariners