Advertising

Re: Looks like Pax is getting traded

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:22 pm

its really staggering how bad the farm system has been. This is trying to build a house without a foundation, that is the most basic analogy there is. And they keep trying to do it season after season

Postby Rooosevelt on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:23 pm

Someone inquired about the M's overall plan...

I believe it is "throw Krap at the wall and see what sticks".

Just like last year, and the previous year,

Postby D-Trains on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:37 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:
Jibber Jabber wrote:Best way to look like the Astros would be to actually blow the thing up and start over, or at the least to start drafting better like the Astros.

Houston has made their mistakes (Mark Appel anyone?), but they have also drafted Bregman, Correa and Springer in the 1st round in recent years- plus Kyle Tucker who ripped up AAA at age 21 and is ready to hit the majors.

They traded Foltynewicz to Atlanta, and he finally had a good season this year, but they got back Gattis in return and he has 96 HRs in 4 seasons with Houston.

The base has to be the draft, there is no other real way to build up your core and maintain any continuity. Trading for Smith might work and it might not, but this decade-plus long history of poor picks in the 1st round is killing this franchise. Zunino was solid and led the way for Smith to get here, and Walker led to the Segura/Haniger deal, which is great. But the rest of the last 15 years or so is a dumpster fire that keeps on burning.

The highest career WAR of any 1st round M's pick for the last decade is Dustin Ackley. That is staggering. The highest for the last 20 years is Adam Jones, but 0 of that came as a Mariner. Awesome.

Astros have a farm, the Yanks have a farm, so do the Red Sox. Darren pointed out the other day how the Yanks have two of the top three rookies, that is how you add value. The Mariners is like living off your credit cards. I do not see how you can hope to build an actual winning organization without first building a farm system. We are always trying to fill out our roster by shuffling the deck

I agree. Obviously we need to start drafting better and developing better. I just don't think we should try to lose 300 games in three years to move up a few spots.

Trout was drafted 25th, Pollock 17th, Sale 13th, Yelich 23rd, Springer 11th, Sonny Gray 18th, Corey Seager 18th, Aaron Judge 32nd, Matt Chapman 25th. So that is an All Star team with guys taken by teams that finished in the middle of the pack or made the playoffs. Also, even more importantly, all of the Latin born future stars can be signed irrespective of how bad you tank or if you win it all.

dt

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:52 pm

i think we should trade off the assets we have for prospects that will hopefully come to fruition when the farm comes around, its a timing thing, its not about trying to be bad, I just do not see the point of investing assets in the short term return of trying to be competitive next season

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:59 pm

its not about trying to be bad as much as its what is the point of trying to be good...its like deferred gratification. Save your money for a few years and buy a nice house instead of blowing it on a halfway decent apartment

Postby D-Trains on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:36 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:its not about trying to be bad as much as its what is the point of trying to be good...its like deferred gratification. Save your money for a few years and buy a nice house instead of blowing it on a halfway decent apartment

But the owners don't want to do that so his choice is to do want he is doing or resign and I have read its kind of tough to get a third GM gig if you have resigned twice.

dt

Postby AT Sandiego on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:47 pm

I'd like to explore a trade with the White Sox now.... they have a low payroll, great young talent, deep farm, and could take on some payroll for a bit of veteran help, especially with pitching.... One target interesting for me is their backup catcher Omar Narvaez, about the same age as Zunino, but less power and extremely solid plate discipline. Since he hits from the left side he'd be a perfect fit for the M's in my opinion. Sure, I'd like to have Realmuto, burt we are a year too late to acquire him.... should have made the move for him last year as I urged. We are also a year late to get Francisco Mejais. The White Sox might part with Narvaez for Pazos, maybe even an older veteran. They have done excellent work at correcting problems with pitchers in the past.

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:49 pm

D-Trains wrote:
Don Gorgon wrote:its not about trying to be bad as much as its what is the point of trying to be good...its like deferred gratification. Save your money for a few years and buy a nice house instead of blowing it on a halfway decent apartment

But the owners don't want to do that so his choice is to do want he is doing or resign and I have read its kind of tough to get a third GM gig if you have resigned twice.

dt

that doesn't do much for getting me excited about it, he is the one saying its about building a championship organization. I find it hard to see, really don't care who's idea it is

Postby D-Trains on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:54 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:
D-Trains wrote:

dt

that doesn't do much for getting me excited about it, he is the one saying its about building a championship organization. I find it hard to see, really don't care who's idea it is

This is our fate. You can either lament it all day or hope for a miracle.

dt

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:56 pm

lament it?...I refuse to ignore it

PreviousNext

Return to Mariners