Advertising

Re: It's a done deal - Zunino for Smith

Postby D-Trains on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:58 pm

Tried to find infield hits leaders for 2018. Unbelievably, I couldn't find anything. Not sure if the new field turf is as fast as the 1970s astro turf. I think they tried to replicate natural grass but who knows.

dt

Postby Freespeech on Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:15 pm

D-Trains wrote:Tried to find infield hits leaders for 2018. Unbelievably, I couldn't find anything. Not sure if the new field turf is as fast as the 1970s astro turf. I think they tried to replicate natural grass but who knows.

dt

Lots of different things; A/C lower humidity, no wind, etc. Be interesting to see all Rays' players splits. If only someone could do that :wink:

Postby D-Trains on Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:21 pm

Freespeech wrote:
D-Trains wrote:Tried to find infield hits leaders for 2018. Unbelievably, I couldn't find anything. Not sure if the new field turf is as fast as the 1970s astro turf. I think they tried to replicate natural grass but who knows.

dt

Lots of different things; A/C lower humidity, no wind, etc. Be interesting to see all Rays' players splits. If only someone could do that :wink:

Maybe somebody that is unemployed. I will ask Arthur. :wink:

dt

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:22 pm

not considered a hitter friendly park

The last domed stadium standing -- but for how long? -- Tropicana is one of the few ballparks in baseball that is definitively pitching-friendly in every statistical regard. It suppresses runs, power, hits and it boosts a pitcher's strikeout potential. Specifically, it's brutal on right-handed hitters, whose home runs (0.811) and hits (0.909) factors rank among the bottom five in the game.

Postby D-Trains on Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:23 pm

Here is Kevin K's splits. Lifetime Ray. almost identical home vs. road

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... Career&t=b

Postby D-Trains on Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:59 pm

Churchill responded to my question about it.

Jason A. Churchill ⚾️

@ProspectInsider
Following Following @ProspectInsider
More Jason A. Churchill ⚾️ Retweeted Darren Warner
No, because he hit a ton of line drives. So unless there's a batter's eye issue everywhere BUT Tropicana for him, no reason to believe Tampa gave him such a ridiculous advantage.

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:11 pm

I have always wondered about home and away splits, in fact I think I brought it up with you. I find it hard to believe that a player with great home spits is somehow genetically predisposed to only be able to hit in that one stadium. I think its more likely once they are traded they would tend to adjust to the new home stadium and begin to hit well there too

Postby D-Trains on Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:15 pm

Yeah, I can see Coors for power hitters and other band boxes but I can't understand it for line drive hitter. Though remember Willie Wilson used to hit all of those inside the parkers at Royal stadium. Funny.

dt

Postby Freespeech on Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:37 pm

Ask and Ye SHALL receive. That makes a lot of sense that he's a line drive hitter. That should be good anywhere.

Postby D-Trains on Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:41 pm

I bet if you asked him why he hits better at the trop than on the road he would have no idea.

dt

PreviousNext

Return to Mariners