Advertising

My Biggest Fear with this team

Postby VOR on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:21 am

My biggest fear with this team right now is that they come out next year in April and May, with Seager, Bruce and Santana on hot streaks and manage to go 35-25 out of the gate. I have no doubt that Dipoto would abandon the plan and trade his system for short term fixes in that situation.

Re: My Biggest Fear with this team

Postby AT Sandiego on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:22 am

VOR wrote:My biggest fear with this team right now is that they come out next year in April and May, with Seager, Bruce and Santana on hot streaks and manage to go 35-25 out of the gate. I have no doubt that Dipoto would abandon the plan and trade his system for short term fixes in that situation.

No....

Postby kingfelixk on Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:49 pm

VOR wrote:My biggest fear with this team right now is that they come out next year in April and May, with Seager, Bruce and Santana on hot streaks and manage to go 35-25 out of the gate. I have no doubt that Dipoto would abandon the plan and trade his system for short term fixes in that situation.

There is no bullpen to keep leads even if the Starting pitching does well and the offense gets runs. Seriously its Festa, Altavilla, Swarzak, Rumblebow at this point.

Postby VOR on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:14 pm

kingfelixk wrote:

There is no bullpen to keep leads even if the Starting pitching does well and the offense gets runs. Seriously its Festa, Altavilla, Swarzak, Rumblebow at this point.

Given how cursed this team is...

Postby David Gee 24 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:30 pm

You don't have to worry about that, once you start down a path like this you have to continue. Even the worst GM would know better.

Postby sexymarinersfan on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:09 pm

kingfelixk wrote:

I'm actually looking forward to a couple Top 10 picks while we are at our low point. We should all go to the "Tree-outs!"

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:15 pm

he could pick up some bullpen arms...and really why should Dipoto be concerned about top 10 picks? The players that get drafted now are most likely not going to help him, realistically its going to be at least five years before they are productive. He can continue to trade vets for prospects but in terms of actual tanking what's in it for him? If he was to tank a couple of seasons he probably gets fired and the next GM benefits from the players they draft

Postby bhofferb on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:25 pm

My biggest fear is that sucking for a few years will be followed by a new GM, followed by sucking for a few more years and so on. Tanking in baseball isn't as guaranteed as it is in other sports, and I'm not getting any younger :shock:

Postby Dr Naysay on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:23 pm

Top ten picks gets you 25 -30 percent success rate of finding an all star and of those top ten picks who were all stars in recent years you have Baez, Harvey, Pomeranz, Pedro Alvarez, Jason Castro and Yonder Alonso who have all had very iffy moments in their careers.

Take guys like that out the equation and suddenly you go under 20%success rate in finding an actual franchise player, that's why Greg Johns argument in favour of the Mariners scouting and not having high picks in the draft was complete ninsense

Postby kingfelixk on Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:00 am

Dr Naysay wrote:Top ten picks gets you 25 -30 percent success rate of finding an all star and of those top ten picks who were all stars in recent years you have Baez, Harvey, Pomeranz, Pedro Alvarez, Jason Castro and Yonder Alonso who have all had very iffy moments in their careers.

Take guys like that out the equation and suddenly you go under 20%success rate in finding an actual franchise player, that's why Greg Johns argument in favour of the Mariners scouting and not having high picks in the draft was complete ninsense

What was Jack Zs success rate?

Next

Return to Mariners