Advertising

Re: My Biggest Fear with this team

Postby Don Gorgon on Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:19 am

Sure its how the process always seems to go here...We always seem to have these odd ball situations with GMs. How many seasons did it seem Z was sweating keeping his job and how did that affect the decisions he made? I feel like we are getting back into it again. Don't want to always be Debbie downer but if he doesn't get that extension when he did is he still here? Can he really differentiate between what could be best for the long term success of the Mariners and what could be short term job security for him? Even if we are into a tear down I think he is going to feel pressure to deliver quick results

Postby Don Gorgon on Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:20 am

and the thing is that is what the owners are going to want...quick results

Postby D-Trains on Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:45 am

Don Gorgon wrote:and again I don't see the relevancy of who we could be drafting in the next few seasons anyway, a player drafted next season or the season after isn't going to be part of this rebuild in the first place is he? Dipoto is most likely not going to benefit from someone he drafts next season. Dipoto needs to produce quicker than that doesn't he?

fyi you are allowed to draft 21-22 yo college guys as well and if he has confidence in his abilities and the program he might actually think he will be here in 5 years. Also, what benefit is there to drafting bad players?

dt

Postby D-Trains on Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:48 am

Don Gorgon wrote:that is probably what is odd about this, its such a reversal, everybody was happy with Dipoto and the Mariner, he gets his extension and then suddenly we are into a rebuild. I think normally fire the GM so the new guy has that five years of latitude to see his draft classes come to fruition. I suppose you could commit to Dipoto for another five years but that sure seems a long time now...we shall see

Definitely a good chance he set the all time record for shortest time between getting an extension and starting a rebuild. 4 months.

dt

Postby D-Trains on Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:51 am

Coeur d Alene J wrote:
Don Gorgon wrote:that is probably what is odd about this, its such a reversal, everybody was happy with Dipoto and the Mariner, he gets his extension and then suddenly we are into a rebuild. I think normally fire the GM so the new guy has that five years of latitude to see his draft classes come to fruition. I suppose you could commit to Dipoto for another five years but that sure seems a long time now...we shall see

That’s more a reflection on Ownerships chasing their tail. He had a great start in 2018 so give him an extension......It’s laughable in hindsight, Certainly they should have waited to see how 2018 turned out.

The irony is they probably did it because they didn't want him to be thinking short term at the deadline. So that got us Maybin, Duke and Andy Warren for the playoff run. Maybe we would have made the playoffs if he didn't get the extension.....

dt

Postby Don Gorgon on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:06 am

D-Trains wrote:
Don Gorgon wrote:and again I don't see the relevancy of who we could be drafting in the next few seasons anyway, a player drafted next season or the season after isn't going to be part of this rebuild in the first place is he? Dipoto is most likely not going to benefit from someone he drafts next season. Dipoto needs to produce quicker than that doesn't he?

fyi you are allowed to draft 21-22 yo college guys as well and if he has confidence in his abilities and the program he might actually think he will be here in 5 years. Also, what benefit is there to drafting bad players?

dt

sure, so he could draft a college guy he thinks could get here quick and help is rebuild, like maybe a leftie starter...I am not saying he would draft bad players but rather let his need for quick results influence who he decides to draft

Postby 2021WSorBust on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:09 am

We don't know what direction the front office has given Dipoto and we certainly don't know what type of payroll constraints or flexibility he was given last season. They must have been satisfied with the direction he went. I doubt the extension was a knee jerk reaction to the success they mid-season. Regardless, I think fans over react when GM and managers get extensions. They can still be let go anytime. It's not like Dipoto has a guaranteed $100M contract.

In regards to the draft, I would be inclined to agree that the proposed timeline of rebuild would influence who gets drafted. We'll have to see what happens. Right now, the farm system still needs more depth which may or may not get addressed with more trades.

Postby Don Gorgon on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:17 am

sure but at the same time it looks dumb to give a guy an extension and then can him a year later, makes everybody look dumb. And now that its been decided the team was actually crap and you are still retaining him its going to be harder to have a basis to fire him. You fire him after only winning 75 games next season? I think Dipoto is going to be around for awhile but at the same time I am not sure he would feel comfortable tanking seasons. I think it will be interesting how it plays out. I do not envision a Astos style of rebuild, I do not think Dipoto survives that and he wouldn't want to try

Postby D-Trains on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:17 am

Don Gorgon wrote:
D-Trains wrote:

dt

sure, so he could draft a college guy he thinks could get here quick and help is rebuild, like maybe a leftie starter...I am not saying he would draft bad players but rather let his need for quick results influence who he decides to draft

Got it.

dt

Postby D-Trains on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:21 am

Don Gorgon wrote:sure but at the same time it looks dumb to give a guy an extension and then can him a year later, makes everybody look dumb. And now that its been decided the team was actually crap and you are still retaining him its going to be harder to have a basis to fire him. You fire him after only winning 75 games next season? I think Dipoto is going to be around for awhile but at the same time I am not sure he would feel comfortable tanking seasons. I think it will be interesting how it plays out. I do not envision a Astos style of rebuild, I do not think Dipoto survives that and he wouldn't want to try

Especially when they did the exact some thing with Z and didn't learn from their mistake. btw How in the F does Mather still have a job??? Usually people who survive scandal have had some sort of success. He has had nothing and has had the sex harassment scandal and he is just goofy to boot.

dt

PreviousNext

Return to Mariners