Advertising

Re: Albatross ! Get yer Albatross here !

Postby Captain 97 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:31 am

Don Gorgon wrote:I don't know if it backfired, they turned Santana's contract into Encarncion's didn't they and picked up a draft pick, they are not really anymore more into salary than when they started are they?...it all began with the trade to the Phillies where they ate salary. Even if they turned Encarnacion into a prospect or something they are still going to eat a lot of salary, never really felt Encarnacion was going to be that valuable in the first place

Yeah the point was to dump salary and shed years off the contract of Segura. They would like to dump a little more but if they cant i wouldn't say it backfired.

They unloaded a 70 Million between Segura, Nicasio and Pazos and picked up 42 million in the contracts of Santana and Crawford. That netted them 28 Million. Then they Unloaded Santana' s 42 Million for 26.66 Million on Encarnacion's salary plus a total of 1 Million out of pocket. Which netted them another 14.34 Million.

So basically they saved themselves 42 Million dollars that they will be able to use to supplement the rebuild in a couple of years. And they also picked up a young shortstop and a compensation pick in the process. I think they have already accomplished most of what they wanted even if they can't flip EE.

Postby D-Trains on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:39 am

Very good summary right there. And if they keep him he could provide the veteran leadership of a professional hitter like I mentioned earlier.

Postby AT Sandiego on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:21 am

I have little to zero faith in the development of Vogelbach.... same amount of faith in Kyle Seager having a "bounce back year"..... same amount of faith in expecting a "bounce back year" out of Felix Hernandez.... and even less that Ichiro will make any meaningful contribution to the success of the Mariners...That's four Albatrosses albeit Vogelbach and Ichiro on opposite sides of the spectrum will be cheap Albatrosses.

I have a little hope in seeing some recovery by Dee Gordon, I believe he will be much more comfortable at his customary position of second base and I hope that will translate into a rebound of sorts in his offensive statistics. I have a bit of hope that Jay Bruce will show improvement health wise and that he will enjoy some resurgence, and similarly there's a chance for "Show-mingo Santana to return closer to 2017 numbers given a return to regular play and better health. That's three that I'm hoping will actually help our club win thru improved performance, but I'm not betting the house rent on it. Then there's Encarnacion.... just hoping he is Encarnacion and not Jeff Cirillo or Scott Spezio, or Kevin Mitchell, or Chone Figgins, or Milton Bradley, or any number of genuine fucking flops the M's have brought in. We could have more Albatrosses on the Mariners than a fishing trawler...

Postby D-Trains on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:32 pm

Nearly a 1.000 OPS in AAA with a 77 walks (20.4%) and only 59 Ks (15.6%)

In terms of pure hitter he is the best prospect we have at the moment. While he obviously hasn't been given any consistent ABs in the big leagues he did manage almost a .700 OPS in about 100 PAs at age 25. In comparison, Edgar had a .619 OPS at age 26 in about 200 PAs. Imagine if we had traded him after that season. There probably wouldn't even be team in Seattle and we wouldn't even be talking about our large adult son, Farley. :)

As for Gordon he actually hit significantly better as a CF last season than a 2B. He might bounce back but I see no reason to think it will be due to playing 2B the entire year.

dt

Postby user14911444933220 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:18 pm

AT Sandiego wrote:I have little to zero faith in the development of Vogelbach.... same amount of faith in Kyle Seager having a "bounce back year"..... same amount of faith in expecting a "bounce back year" out of Felix Hernandez.... and even less that Ichiro will make any meaningful contribution to the success of the Mariners...That's four Albatrosses albeit Vogelbach and Ichiro on opposite sides of the spectrum will be cheap Albatrosses.

I have a little hope in seeing some recovery by Dee Gordon, I believe he will be much more comfortable at his customary position of second base and I hope that will translate into a rebound of sorts in his offensive statistics. I have a bit of hope that Jay Bruce will show improvement health wise and that he will enjoy some resurgence, and similarly there's a chance for "Show-mingo Santana to return closer to 2017 numbers given a return to regular play and better health. That's three that I'm hoping will actually help our club win thru improved performance, but I'm not betting the house rent on it. Then there's Encarnacion.... just hoping he is Encarnacion and not Jeff Cirillo or Scott Spezio, or Kevin Mitchell, or Chone Figgins, or Milton Bradley, or any number of genuine fucking flops the M's have brought in. We could have more Albatrosses on the Mariners than a fishing trawler...

:lol:

Previous

Return to Mariners