Advertising

A Losing Culture

Postby glenstar on Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:02 pm

When my grandson was about 5 years old he was out in his back yard playing an imaginary game. He kept calling strike three on himself. I was curious, so I asked him what he was doing. He told me that he was practicing being a Mariner.
The losing culture of the Seattle Mariners had trickled down even to the little ones. He is now 18, but the culture has not changed much.

So, exactly where is this "rebuild" going? Will the culture change, or are we in for another generation of strike three?

Re: A Losing Culture

Postby dpenksa on Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:00 pm

Part of the problem with the Mariners is as long as they have fun it's OK. That's what the news media and announcers say. No pressure to excel. Players who are good come here Beltre, Spezio for example do nothing, move on to other teams and are great again.
Watched the Mariners and Angels on FOX the other day. It was refreshing. No Vogey, Miggie, Eddie like the players were buddies and team mates of the announcers. David Simmie isy the worsty. Analysts on FOX actually told you what they thought problems were. Root sports just makes excuses.

Postby r.g. on Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:50 pm

The problem is this "step back" garbage that Dipoto has sold everyone. I have said this before but a good GM, from his first year on, makes the team better. In increments. Each year, a few more wins than the year before and you keep adding pieces to the puzzle that eventually, your team becomes good enough to not only make the playoffs but get to the WS. Dipoto has been here what, three, four years? Has this team become better? Absolutely not. Yet here he is still with this organization with a new motto: "Step Back". Havent the mariners been stepping back since Dipoto got here? They have not become better.

I have read the comments about how "we knew they were going to lose but wait until 2021". Yeah, and then what? When that doesnt happen, what do we get? Step Back II? Dipoto needs to go. Servais needs to go. I cannot fathom watching this team anymore when players are dropping routine fly balls, routine grounders. Heck the other day the catcher left home with a runner on third and the fielder got a ground ball and threw it to home. And guess what? The catcher was nowhere to be found? And what does the skipper say about this? "Hey I understand it happened to me once before". Gee, go figure. No wonder this teams is so bad.

Instead of defending the catcher on something that should be automatic AS A CATCHER AT THE SHOW, Servais should have lit into him for such a freaking bonehead play. I mean that is so fu****g inexcusable. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason for that to happen. But then again, Smith cant catch fly balls. Other fielders cannot field grounders.

The saddest thing I read the other day was a writer commended the team for playing a game and not making an error. My god, how low has this team sunk. Being commended for playing nine innings and not making an error. It's like telling someone "Hey, nice breathing". Sheesh how freaking pathetic has this team become. But we the fans are supposed to believe in the "step back". With all due respect, I have quit watching this team. I havent quit following, I just have quit watching. THERE is my "step back".

Postby happy as heck on Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:00 pm

r.g. wrote:The problem is this "step back" garbage that Dipoto has sold everyone. I have said this before but a good GM, from his first year on, makes the team better. In increments. Each year, a few more wins than the year before and you keep adding pieces to the puzzle that eventually, your team becomes good enough to not only make the playoffs but get to the WS. Dipoto has been here what, three, four years? Has this team become better? Absolutely not. Yet here he is still with this organization with a new motto: "Step Back". Havent the mariners been stepping back since Dipoto got here? They have not become better.

I have read the comments about how "we knew they were going to lose but wait until 2021". Yeah, and then what? When that doesnt happen, what do we get? Step Back II? Dipoto needs to go. Servais needs to go. I cannot fathom watching this team anymore when players are dropping routine fly balls, routine grounders. Heck the other day the catcher left home with a runner on third and the fielder got a ground ball and threw it to home. And guess what? The catcher was nowhere to be found? And what does the skipper say about this? "Hey I understand it happened to me once before". Gee, go figure. No wonder this teams is so bad.

Instead of defending the catcher on something that should be automatic AS A CATCHER AT THE SHOW, Servais should have lit into him for such a freaking bonehead play. I mean that is so fu****g inexcusable. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason for that to happen. But then again, Smith cant catch fly balls. Other fielders cannot field grounders.

The saddest thing I read the other day was a writer commended the team for playing a game and not making an error. My god, how low has this team sunk. Being commended for playing nine innings and not making an error. It's like telling someone "Hey, nice breathing". Sheesh how freaking pathetic has this team become. But we the fans are supposed to believe in the "step back". With all due respect, I have quit watching this team. I havent quit following, I just have quit watching. THERE is my "step back".

Word, r.g. What other organization would put up with this cr@p for so long?

Postby r.g. on Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:04 pm

Teams with a winning history would NEVER put up with this crap. They expect their leaders, their top brass, the organization to put a winning product on the team because if they are going to shell out good hard earned money to watch a team, they had best win. The Mariners? Hey, they have bobble heads, and missed fly balls, and booted grounders, and opposing runners scoring from second base on a fly ball, and catchers leaving home plate empty while a runner is on third attempting to score, ( I could go on and on and on). Seattle fans, welcome your 2019 Seattle Mariners and their top brass. :roll: :roll:

Postby Rooosevelt on Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:39 am

A "Step Back Directive" sold to a naive ownership group... heaven help us!

Postby dpenksa on Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:16 pm

Great post rg. I am a Mariners fan who moved here from the east coast in 1990. The press here is complacent in the lack of effort by this team. Never much criticism. Where I come from this team would constantly be lambasted by the press. But the fans are still fans except no excuses are made.,
I no longer watch or listen mainly because of the announcers and analysts. Would gladly watch or listen to a game without paid cheerleders.
Dave Valle is a local hero yet barely hit .200. Great defense we are told. Bull! He sucked and did not take the team anywhere. Bring back someone like Lou to kick these coddled players in the butt and hire some honest press.

Postby r.g. on Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:07 pm

I wonder, and I could be wrong here and off base, but I wonder if the press not saying anything truly negative about this team when it is playing the way it is, is "told" to write that way. Meaning, do not say anything negative because this team's brass doesnt want that given to the public. Does the press carry any type of weight, or pull when it comes to this team? Because i know in other cities, the press will tell it like it is and fans respond to that. And in turn, when fans arent there to support the team, the brass does something about it. But then again, I could be wrong.

Postby SeaFreak on Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:21 pm

dpenksa wrote:Part of the problem with the Mariners is as long as they have fun it's OK. That's what the news media and announcers say. No pressure to excel. Players who are good come here Beltre, Spezio for example do nothing, move on to other teams and are great again.
Watched the Mariners and Angels on FOX the other day. It was refreshing. No Vogey, Miggie, Eddie like the players were buddies and team mates of the announcers. David Simmie isy the worsty. Analysts on FOX actually told you what they thought problems were. Root sports just makes excuses.

Yeah, this happened when the teams started owning the networks; it's all sugar coated analysis.

Return to Mariners