Advertising

Re: Domingo Sanatana trade

Postby SonsofHan on Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:12 pm

rockycola wrote:soh, I can see you're excited about this. I your intro post you say bye-bye Gamel.
In your next post you say Ben will be part of our best OF in.....like.....FOREVERRRRRR! :P :P :P

Make up your mind, son. 8)

Just funnin' ya, I've done the exact same thing.

Santana is young(ish) and has more power than Gamel. Strikes out a bunch but can steal a base. With the LH bat of Gamel departing it gives a little better balance of righty-lefty.

Zavolas has a decent upside but JD seems to want to get rid of all young pitchers with potential :( :roll:

When I posted there was not any info on the price. I copied and pasted when it came out on edit. I was worried about the cost.
I liked Gamel. I have high hopes for Santana.

Postby SonsofHan on Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:18 pm

harmony55 wrote:Will Domingo Santana's tenure with the Mariners be longer than the tenure of the last Santana?

Steamer, who assumes 600 plate appearances for each outfielder, projects 2019 WAR of 0.7 for Santana and 1.2 for Ben Gamel.

Gamel has four years of team control and Santana has three years of team control with a modest projected 2019 salary of $2 million.

The Mariners needed to balance out the lineup with a righthanded bat.

Santana tripled off Matt Harvey in a game I witnessed in September:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxe ... 9190.shtml

It is not that Steamer is worthless just right next to it. Gamel was worth .5 WAR last year where Sanatana was worth 1 WAR in 1/2 the season. Not to mention that he is a year younger than Gamel and had a 2017 worth 2.9 WAR. But in baseball years control Gamel has one more year of control remaining. I like it overall.

Postby 2021WSorBust on Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:56 pm

I can't really get too high or low on a move loke this until the "future" roster is flushed out more. Was I looking forward to the possibility of Gamel getting more regular p,aying time as a Mariner? - Sure, ya betcha. Sounds like Santana could be a decent player. I need to check out his splits - anybody know offhand? With Santana, Haniger and Bruce we have 3 right fielders. Mallex has centerfield, of course. Who is in left? LOL, I know, I know... one of the guys will probably be moved there unless this sets upmthe Haniger trade to Atlanata. That's it! :shock:

Postby ice99 on Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:21 pm

Where does Bruce play? The M's have Santana, Smith, and Haniger for the OF. For DH/1B they have Encarnacion, Healy, and VB. VB has no options left. The M's are heavily left handed so I can see Bruce getting moved. Although I could see the M's signing someone like Alcides Escobar and trading Healy.

Santana is another non-CTZ player, maybe Laker saw something that he could fix. I don't know about fixing high K players. It'll be interesting.

The M's should have a good infield defense with Seager, Crawford, Gordon, and Healy.

Postby ddraig on Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:29 pm

ice99 wrote:The M's should have a good infield defense with Seager, Crawford, Gordon, and Healy.

Yes, but will any of them hit well enough to want us to keep them after next year?

Postby ice99 on Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:37 pm

ddraig wrote:
ice99 wrote:The M's should have a good infield defense with Seager, Crawford, Gordon, and Healy.

Yes, but will any of them hit well enough to want us to keep them after next year?

Crawford will be cheap, and Healy would be a first year arb player. I'm not expecting much offense out of Crawford but a .725 OPS and nearly GG defense would be good enough.

Postby sexymarinersfan on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:14 pm

ddraig wrote:

I'm going to be looking into the season with an towards the future. Lot of moves left to be made this offseason. Santana feels like a righty bat that was sorely needed for the lineup, and yet could be used in another trade.

Postby WARwhatisitgoodfor on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:27 pm

Wow, they got him.

Santana is who i had said Dipoto should have flipped Gordon for last year, and many times since.

Happy to have him on board, especially since it means Gamels' muppet lookin ass is outta here.

Postby Rooosevelt on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:45 pm

DP getting rid of the long haired hippie dudes...

Postby ice99 on Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:15 pm

So Santana replaces the 2018 output of Span + Gamel. I can see that.
Narvaez replaces the 2018 output of Zunino. But Zunino will likely do better in 2019.
Dee + Mallex replace the 2018 output of Dee + Cano + Heredia, I can see that. But Cano will likely surpass his 2018 output, Heredia too.
The 2018 output of Segura + Healy will likely surpass the shortstop and 1B of 2019.
2018 Cruz likely surpasses Encarnacion + VB(Healy).

Paxton + Diaz + Nicasio are replaced by Sheffield/Dunn + Swarzak, big dropoff.

PreviousNext

Return to Mariners