Advertising

Re: Domingo Sanatana trade

Postby harmony55 on Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:53 pm

harmony55 wrote:Steamer, who assumes 600 plate appearances for each outfielder, projects 2019 WAR of 0.7 for Santana and 1.2 for Ben Gamel.

The 2019 Marcel projections for Domingo Santana and Ben Gamel:

DS 378 PA, .265/.347/.455/.801
BG 361 PA, .266/.333/.399/.731

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... do01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... be01.shtml

Postby SonsofHan on Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:32 am

ice99 wrote:Where does Bruce play? The M's have Santana, Smith, and Haniger for the OF. For DH/1B they have Encarnacion, Healy, and VB. VB has no options left. The M's are heavily left handed so I can see Bruce getting moved. Although I could see the M's signing someone like Alcides Escobar and trading Healy.

Santana is another non-CTZ player, maybe Laker saw something that he could fix. I don't know about fixing high K players. It'll be interesting.

The M's should have a good infield defense with Seager, Crawford, Gordon, and Healy.

I disagree he may K a lot but he also walks a lot.
.261 .349 .458 .807 112
Nearly a 9% walk rate I like to see 10% but that is really close. I consider no walkers to be 5% and below. Dee Gordon had a 2% walk rate.
Note: I admit those are not real accurate numbers I just look at the result of subtracting batting average from OBP example Dee Gordon 2018 OBP .288- BA .268 = 0.02 =2%. I know he only walked 9 times in 588 PAs. I just prefer to sum up the OBP boost and call it walk rate even though the difference in OBP to average is more than just BB.

Postby ice99 on Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:02 am

SonsofHan wrote:
ice99 wrote:Where does Bruce play? The M's have Santana, Smith, and Haniger for the OF. For DH/1B they have Encarnacion, Healy, and VB. VB has no options left. The M's are heavily left handed so I can see Bruce getting moved. Although I could see the M's signing someone like Alcides Escobar and trading Healy.

Santana is another non-CTZ player, maybe Laker saw something that he could fix. I don't know about fixing high K players. It'll be interesting.

The M's should have a good infield defense with Seager, Crawford, Gordon, and Healy.

I disagree he may K a lot but he also walks a lot.
.261 .349 .458 .807 112
Nearly a 9% walk rate I like to see 10% but that is really close. I consider no walkers to be 5% and below. Dee Gordon had a 2% walk rate.
Note: I admit those are not real accurate numbers I just look at the result of subtracting batting average from OBP example Dee Gordon 2018 OBP .288- BA .268 = 0.02 =2%. I know he only walked 9 times in 588 PAs. I just prefer to sum up the OBP boost and call it walk rate even though the difference in OBP to average is more than just BB.

I'm using the BB/K ratio. The walk rate is 8.5%, see below. As I've said maybe Laker saw something he could fix - we will see.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... 0&sort=5,d

Postby somebody's son on Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:12 pm

Hope Laker really improves those that really could use it

Postby harmony55 on Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:14 pm

A comment after a column at a Milwaukee Brewers website:
All I know is
There’s a ton of Mariners fans who pre ordered Carlos Santana jerseys feeling a bit better today as are any Brewers fans who held onto their Mat Gamel shirzee. thanks

Posted by mjdietz on Dec 22, 2018 | 3:07 PM reply unrec (3)

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2018/12/22 ... s#comments

:D :D :D :D

Postby D-Trains on Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:18 pm

Granderson with a 220 ba and a 407 OBP. That's astounding.

Postby Don Gorgon on Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:55 pm

that was his 19 games for Milwaukee

Postby Dr Naysay on Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:36 pm

Intersting take

For Seattle the awful defense of Santana is less of an issue, as is the money and lack of options. They can afford to take the chance on the higher-upside player in this situation, and hope he regains his 2017 form. Personally I don't think he will, for a couple of reasons: He strikes out a lot, and largely through swinging strikes, swinging through pitches in the zone. He's late with his swing, vulnerable to the high fastball. A low-avg hitter who relies a lot on a (consistently) high BABIP, things could get ugly fairly quickly if that drops. Struggled to get to his power this year, despite hitting the ball a lot more to the pull side and centre. The massive dropoff, even for someone like me who was a doubter, is really weird though. Happy to see fewer TTO hitters in the team though. I feel they work best when you only have a few of them.

Postby sexymarinersfan on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:10 pm

rockycola wrote:soh, I can see you're excited about this. I your intro post you say bye-bye Gamel.
In your next post you say Ben will be part of our best OF in.....like.....FOREVERRRRRR! :P :P :P

Make up your mind, son. 8)

Just funnin' ya, I've done the exact same thing.

Santana is young(ish) and has more power than Gamel. Strikes out a bunch but can steal a base. With the LH bat of Gamel departing it gives a little better balance of righty-lefty.

Zavolas has a decent upside but JD seems to want to get rid of all young pitchers with potential :( :roll:

Scouts are mostly saying he looks like an "Organizational arm". The REASON Milwaukee wanted Zavolas was because they were targeting him in the draft. He was on their big board. I read that over on Milwaukee's SB Nation website. "Brew Crew".

When this trade first came down the pipeline, it was unknown who Milwaukee would be acquiring for Domingo Santana. A lot of Brewers fans held out hope that they were getting Dee Gordon.

When it was revealed that Gamel and Zavolas was the package, it left many Brewers faithful baffled. FYI, this moved also saved Milwaukee $1.5 million as well.

Postby D-Trains on Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:54 am

Damn I wish they had been right about Gordon but I guess we can't trade our team leader. :roll: :roll: :roll:

PreviousNext

Return to Mariners