Advertising

Re: Deja Vue All Over Again: Dustin Ackley Signed

Postby sexymarinersfan on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:32 pm

Coeur d Alene J wrote:The angst is the same when it’s revealed that Ichiro could be on the team beyond Japan..........

A waste of space, When this team should be getting younger and giving playing time to someone who will contribute when we are reimagined


I swear if we take Ackley back to Japan and he gets another huge $1 million check, so help me God.......!
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:09 am
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX

Re: Deja Vue All Over Again: Dustin Ackley Signed

Postby D-Trains on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:39 pm

Don Gorgon wrote:I don't understand all the angst, its a minor league contract


Yeah, it doesn't cost us a thing just like if one of the wounded survivors of the Las Vegas mass shooting got free tickets to to the same concert at the same venue a year later. Wouldn't cost them a thing but they still might not want to go. :wink:

dt
 
Posts: 78062
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:31 am
Location: Kirkland, WA

Re: Deja Vue All Over Again: Dustin Ackley Signed

Postby WARwhatisitgoodfor on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:50 pm

D-Trains wrote:
Don Gorgon wrote:I don't understand all the angst, its a minor league contract


Yeah, it doesn't cost us a thing just like if one of the wounded survivors of the Las Vegas mass shooting got free tickets to to the same concert at the same venue a year later. Wouldn't cost them a thing but they still might not want to go. :wink:

dt


And they say there was one shooter, get real. There is video of a security guard shooting people from the ground.
 
Posts: 3493
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:08 pm

Re: Deja Vue All Over Again: Dustin Ackley Signed

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:49 am

from LL, think they put it pretty well, this is about him returning to Tacoma, and no its not like there is a lot of talent to choose from in terms of filling his role


His last MLB plate appearance came on May 29th, 2016, with the Yankees, and he has spent the past two seasons toiling away in the Angels system for the Salt Lake Bees. Ackley now fills a more utility role, playing both corner outfield positions more than infield, but spelling at 2B and 1B as well. He should have a good opportunity to contribute for a Tacoma roster that remains thin-at-best.

Unfortunately, injuries and the afore-mentioned issues we all sadly observed during Ackley’s first Mariners tenure have sapped his once-promising offensive profile. His 2018 profile was not too shabby, with a 117 DRC+/107 wRC+, albeit in his 1199-thru-1483rd career PAs in the PCL. Maybe a return to a place he was once (still is?) beloved will bring him peace and set him right, but most likely this is simply a more interesting name than Zach Vincej. He still has a peculiar swing and finish, albeit a shade more closed in his stance last year, but the Ackley you remember is mostly still there.
 
Posts: 50491
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:59 am
Location: balm yard

Re: Deja Vue All Over Again: Dustin Ackley Signed

Postby rockycola on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:32 pm

Coeur d Alene J wrote:The angst is the same when it’s revealed that Ichiro could be on the team beyond Japan..........

A waste of space, When this team should be getting younger and giving playing time to someone who will contribute when we are reimagined

Ichiro is worth two 22 1/2 year olds! :wink:
 
Posts: 13561
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:01 am
Location: Alderwood, WA

Re: Deja Vue All Over Again: Dustin Ackley Signed

Postby ddraig on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:56 pm

When my wife was 45, I told her I could replace her with two 22-1/2 year olds, She looked at me, laughed, and said, "They'd kill you!" :shock:
 
Posts: 13541
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: Auburn, WA

Re: Deja Vue All Over Again: Dustin Ackley Signed

Postby rockycola on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:58 pm

ddraig wrote:When my wife was 45, I told her I could replace her with two 22-1/2 year olds, She looked at me, laughed, and said, "They'd kill you!"

Ahhhhh, how to die with a smile on your face, 101.
 
Posts: 13561
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:01 am
Location: Alderwood, WA

Re: Deja Vue All Over Again: Dustin Ackley Signed

Postby ice99 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:41 pm

I remember Mike Carp. He wasn't a slugger and was considered a soft body type. At Tacoma, they decided to start his bat early with a longer swing. His BB/K ratio went down from about 1.0. Then there was Wedge that wanted the M's hitters to be more aggressive. Ackley seemed messed up with his development too.

I've wondered what would have happened if Edgar was the hitting coach when Carp was first up with the M's. Edgar wants the hitters to be quick (and direct) to the ball, so that would have reduced the need for Carp to start his bat as early, and could have let Carp keep a better BB/K ratio.
 
Posts: 23847
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:19 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Deja Vue All Over Again: Dustin Ackley Signed

Postby rockycola on Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:38 am

ice99 wrote:I remember Mike Carp. He wasn't a slugger and was considered a soft body type. At Tacoma, they decided to start his bat early with a longer swing. His BB/K ratio went down from about 1.0. Then there was Wedge that wanted the M's hitters to be more aggressive. Ackley seemed messed up with his development too.

I've wondered what would have happened if Edgar was the hitting coach when Carp was first up with the M's. Edgar wants the hitters to be quick (and direct) to the ball, so that would have reduced the need for Carp to start his bat as early, and could have let Carp keep a better BB/K ratio.

Too many philosophies, too many whispers in players ears have harmed many a ballplayers careers.
 
Posts: 13561
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:01 am
Location: Alderwood, WA

Re: Deja Vue All Over Again: Dustin Ackley Signed

Postby Captain 97 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:28 am

ice99 wrote:I remember Mike Carp. He wasn't a slugger and was considered a soft body type. At Tacoma, they decided to start his bat early with a longer swing. His BB/K ratio went down from about 1.0. Then there was Wedge that wanted the M's hitters to be more aggressive. Ackley seemed messed up with his development too.

I've wondered what would have happened if Edgar was the hitting coach when Carp was first up with the M's. Edgar wants the hitters to be quick (and direct) to the ball, so that would have reduced the need for Carp to start his bat as early, and could have let Carp keep a better BB/K ratio.


Perhaps he would have had a stellar contact rate like Mike Zunino. :lol:
 
Posts: 8176
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:10 am
Location: stanwood, WA

PreviousNext

Return to Mariners

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kenkokan and 16 guests

Advertising