Advertising

Re: M's sign Tim Beckham

Postby 2021WSorBust on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:06 am

D-Trains wrote:
harmony55 wrote:For infield depth, in the past two days the Mariners reportedly have signed the No. 1 pick in the 2008 draft and the No. 2 pick in the 2009 draft.

Damn 3.4 WAR in 2017. My guess is a lot of his struggles last season were due to playing on one of the worst teams in history. Love this signing. Also makes Gordon expendable......

dt

Makes Seager expendable too. Unless Crawford completely tears it up in spring, I'm assuming Beckham will start the season at short so they can get that extra year of Crawford control. I'm not getting the impression Dipoto is actively shopping Gordon but who knows. Now that Dozier has signed too the market for 2nd basemen has tightented a bit. Maybe there is a team out there that has interest. Surprised Dipoto landed Beckham for $1.75M - he made about double of that amount last year. Would have thought there was more demand for his services.
Last edited by 2021WSorBust on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:11 am

well he had a nightmare of a season last year...I am not convinced they will do that to Crawford, it would be pretty blatant, it will be interesting to see.

Postby D-Trains on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:22 am

Don Gorgon wrote:well he had a nightmare of a season last year...I am not convinced they will do that to Crawford, it would be pretty blatant, it will be interesting to see.

Yeah I think JP would have to have a pretty bad Spring to go to AAA. And if he did we would once again need another back up SS. Not a huge deal but still a deal.

dt

Postby Don Gorgon on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:28 am

if Seager is in the trash can again they could platoon him with Beckham

Postby D-Trains on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:29 am

Don Gorgon wrote:if Seager is in the trash can again they could platoon him with Beckham

Yeah, same with Gordon, He should get a lot of starts given he is RH we currently have 3 weak hitting LH INFers that he can spot.

dt

Postby sexymarinersfan on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:39 am

We also just signed reliever Cory Gearrin.

Postby 2021WSorBust on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:55 am

Was replying to Don's earlier comment - didn't hit submit, doh!:

Based on his stat line for last year, I don't know if I would call his season a nightmare. Definitely a step back but the guy posted about the same WAR as Kyle Seager. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying 30 teams should have been knocking at his door, I'm just a little surprised Beckham wasn't able to go somewhere else for a little more coin. In regards to Crawford, Dipoto stated when he picked him up and on several occasions since then that they do not intend to rush him and that he could very well start off in Tacoma. They only need to keep him in T-Town for something like 10 games to get that extra year. Seems foolish not to.

In other words, my take is the opposite. I think Crawford will have to shine in spring to make the club.

Postby D-Trains on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:58 am

2021WSorBust wrote:Was replying to Don's earlier comment - didn't hit submit, doh!:

Based on his stat line for last year, I don't know if I would call his season a nightmare. Definitely a step back but the guy posted about the same WAR as Kyle Seager. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying 30 teams should have been knocking at his door, I'm just a little surprised Beckham wasn't able to go somewhere else for a little more coin. In regards to Crawford, Dipoto stated when he picked him up and on several occasions since then that they do not intend to rush him and that he could very well start off in Tacoma. They only need to keep him in T-Town for something like 10 games to get that extra year. Seems foolish not to.

In other words, my take is the opposite. I think Crawford will have to shine in spring to make the club.

Wow, only 10 games? If that is the case I would agree obviously. I was thinking a couple months.

dt

Postby D-Trains on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:17 am

btw these are not moves which teams trying to lose 100+ games make obviously.............

dt

Postby 2021WSorBust on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:20 am

D-Trains wrote:
2021WSorBust wrote:Was replying to Don's earlier comment - didn't hit submit, doh!:

Wow, only 10 games? If that is the case I would agree obviously. I was thinking a couple months.

dt

A couple of months might be more accurate. Not sure - I misread the service time reference in the link below. I read it as Crawford needing 152 MLB games to burn the year of control but it's 152 days of MLB service time. I don't know exactly when the clock stars on that - opening day probably? Regardless, it is not going to be huge chunk of games or time that he would have to be at AAA. If he earns his place on the roster in spring, great. Otherwise, I'd put him on an Uber to Cheney Stadium.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/01/mariners-sign-tim-beckham.html

PreviousNext

Return to Mariners